“Serious management problems”

The English Inn of Charlottesville
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed April 25, 2008

First, the good part: nice (but not exceptional) rooms with large beds. The pool was much bigger than expected and looked very nice, although we didn't have a chance to use it. The lobby was lovely.

Now, the not-so-good: their management needs some serious lessons in customer service and in managing a hotel.

We arrived at 11 AM on a Sunday morning after flying into DC on a red-eye from the west coast. I knew the check-in time was 3 PM, but we'd had breakfast, driven around a bit, and were too tired to do anything else. So my 2 teenagers and I walked into the lobby and I told the front desk that we had a reservation and were hoping to check-in early. Turned out I was speaking to the manager and he wouldn't even look to see if they had a room--just told me to come back at 3 PM. At that point, I explained that I wasn't safe to be on the road anymore and asked if we could just sit--and perhaps doze a bit--in the lobby. This suggestion horrified him ("we have some wedding parties coming in!"), so he actually became motivated to check and --lo and behold--they DID have a room we could check into immediately!

Now for part 2. I'm a huge college hoops fan and a University of Kansas alum, and the next night was the NCAA championship. So after a nap and freshening up, I started cruising the channels. They had a bunch of choices, but none of the majors (CBS, ABC, or NBC). This was a serious problem: no CBS=no championship game. I went back to the front desk (by this time the manager has left) and spoke to the lady there. She was extremely nice and told me that yes, some people had complained about not getting the basketball games last weekend. Maybe it was a cable problem? She wasn't really sure, but said I should talk to the manager Monday morning.

Back in my room, I made a couple of phone calls to nearby hotels. No CBS problem anywhere else.

On Monday morning I went back to talk to the manager who "helped" me check in the day before. He agreed to send a technician to my room to look at the TV right away. An hour later, my teenagers and I are sitting in our room twiddling our thumbs. Not having really planned to spend my time in Charlottesville sitting in a hotel room, I went back to the front desk and asked (nicely!) if we could expect a technician soon. The manager said the technician was busy, but would try to get there later. His tone suggested that this was an iffy proposition at best. At that point I explained that we really wanted to do some sightseeing, which meant I kind of needed to know if I should check out of their hotel and go to a CBS-equipped alternative before I missed their check-out time . The manager just looked at me and agreed I should probably check out. We did, went to the Doubletree down the road (it was a huge improvement for only $10 a night more!), and enjoyed the heart-stopping KU victory that night.

Needless to say, that was my first and last stay at an English Inn. While I was there I visited a good friend who lives in Charlottesville, and she said that she didn't know anyone who had ever stayed there. I guess now I know why!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed March 27, 2008

I was aware of The English Inn after searching AAA, Orbitz and other sites but was unsure of date of arrival. Saw an ad for a discount rate in ROOMSAVERS magazine available at most rest areas on the interstates . The Inn honored the coupon without any hastle and gave us a great king room. Room was large, very clean and odorfree. Breakfast was much above average fare, especially considering the discount price we paid. Staff were all very helpful-courteous and knowledgeable. Lounge area with fireplace was inviting on a cold evening. My daughter works for a local university and I recommended that she suggest this fine establishment when her visiting clients ask for suggestions for a place to stay. I know they will be pleased with The English Inn. When in the Charlottesville area, I will be staying at this gem.

2  Thank Moosemanschenectady
Reviewed March 1, 2008

The rooms were spacious and clean. The swimming pool and exercise room were exactly what we were looking for. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return if we are ever back in the area.

2  Thank dchristy66
Reviewed February 21, 2008

Whenever I stay in Charlottesville, I always try to book the English Inn. The warm cozy atmosphere (with a fireplace in the lobby) and the friendly staff are the main attractions to this property. Of course, the full breakfast and the other ammenities such as the indoor pool and fitness room are icing on the cake.

2  Thank MilkDude
Reviewed February 19, 2008

We chose the English Inn for a Presidents Day weekend getaway based on the positive reviews here and were not disappointed. No, it's not an authentic English inn. What it is is a very good, decently priced motel. Our room (we had a king suite) was very clean and very quiet (despite the fact that the hotel seemed to be pretty full of families with children for the holiday weekend). The free breakfast provides a better-than-average selection although, as others have noted, Bodo's Bagels is right next door. The pool is larger-than-average for a motel pool, and the pool and sauna area were also very clean and well maintained. The location was very convenient to shopping and to the Route 250 bypass to Monticello and other historic sites.

Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank Carol757
Reviewed February 15, 2008

My wife and I were looking for a decent place for and overnight that had clean, odor-free accomodations. I am undergoing cancer treatment, and I am extremely sensitive to all odors, allergic to some. We not only found the English Inn to be very low-odor, but it was entirely non-smoking (hurray, some folks finally are understanding the problem). Unlike many motels/hotels (even pricy ones), there was no odor of cleaning agents or mold in the rooms and hallways. Everything was clean and trim. Although I cannot presently eat regular food, my wife had a great breakfast from an extensive buffet selection, included with the room fee. The staff was so accommodating that someone even picked up some large soda straws for me at a local eatery, so I could get down my liquid diet.

This was a class act at a moderate price, $80 + taxes; definitely an "I'll be back" experience.

4  Thank billatlynchburg
Reviewed February 11, 2008

Our 3 night stay at the English Inn was fantastic! It is only a couple of miles from the Uunversity of Virginia campus (which we were visiting on business) and within walking distance of several local family-friendly places to est. We could not have been happier!

The decor was quaint and inviting, the rooms were extremely quiet and comfortable, and we have never encountered a friendlier or more helpful staff anywhere.

In our future trips to Charlottesville, the English Inn is definately our first choice!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business