“Not so much!!”

Super 8 Charlottesville
Ranked #33 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Boulder, Colorado
“Not so much!!”
Reviewed October 24, 2009

I stayed two nights in this motel on a cross country road trip, as I was spending one whole day visiting Monticello and surrounding area. On my 5700 mile round trip, staying at budget motels all the way, I rate this one as the least desireable. I found all the other motels on my trip to be satisfactory to excellent. This one wasn't horrible, just nothing positive that I can comment on. It looks like it gets no attention, the small check in area/breakfast area is unattractive and, well, just too small. The whole motel just needs a lot of updating. I think there are people that rent some of the rooms on a temporary basis, which wouldn't necessarily be a problem. But in the room directly above me I could hear what sounded like a big box or trunk or something similar being dragged across the floor off and on all evening, both nights! Not cool. I doubt if I would stay at this motel again.

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Maureen38

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Roamance
Reviewed October 2, 2009

The room was tolerably clean, corridors grubby and guest facilities miserable. Rooms are (relatively) low priced, but since everything about this hotel screams "cheap", it's actually poor value. Smallest coffee maker ever made, paper cups, no microwave or refrigerator (unlike the other six Super 8s where I have stayed). Breakfast consists of donuts and coffee served in front of the reception desk. Check-in was glacially slow. Avoid this motel unless desperate.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Roamance

Travelers are raving about these Charlottesville hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed September 28, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for three nights because it was not only cheap, but also close to our son who lives in Charlottesville. However, we literally were in the room each day only from 11pm to 8am, and spent the rest of the time with our son. As a place to sleep it was convenient and quiet, but although I gave it three stars, it really deserves only 2 1/2.

We have stayed in other Super 8 motels, and this one was definitely a notch below. There was always a stench in the hallways, checkout and checking were about as inefficient as could be, the towels had been washed so many times that they were rough to the touch, my first set of pillows felt like a sack of potatoes due to the uneven lumps, the carpeting in the hallway and the premises in general looked somewhat decrepit, and the furniture in the room was chipped and peeling.

However, we did get a good night's sleep each night, there was free wireless internet in the room, and there was a modest continental breakfast that we tried one morning that was okay for a snack.

For our purposes this motel was fine, but if you are coming to Charlottesville for a vacation or want some place with nice rooms, this is not the place to stay, though you will probably have to spend consderably more. I would not recommend this to any family members or friends even though we might consider staying here again the next time that we visit our son.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simonizzze
West Palm Beach, FL
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We just needed a basic motel for the night. The lobby had 24 hour security (via monitor) and the rooms were accessible from a interior corridor with room card as building access. We took the desk clerk's advice and ate at the Mexican restaurant across the street. We've lived in TX and love Mexican food - it was better than I expected ;-)

The continental breakfast with juice, choices of donuts, two types of cereal, coffee and muffin was adequate given the reasonable price for the room. The room was clean and met our needs.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank loveh2ofl
North Carolina
Reviewed September 10, 2009

When we stayed there, our toilet stopped working the first day. We notified the front desk when we left for the evening and our toilet was still clogged 6 and a half hours later when we returned. The next morning, I reminded the front desk about it and still nothing was done about it. We had to use the restroom across the street at 7-11 or hold it until we got to our destination. The toilet never worked for the duration of the trip and it still didn't work when we checked out. I know it was Labor Day weekend but this was ridiculous.

Then, when using the one iron in the entire hotel (with a one hour time limit), the iron spit rust onto my dress shirt. When I told the front desk about it, the attendant told me that the iron is cleaned regularly and that I must have had the stain on my shirt prior to coming to the hotel. No apology given.

At breakfast, one of the staff complained that I was filling my daughter's sippy-cup with milk for her to drink. I was told that the milk was for cereal only. Hmm.... call me crazy but there was no cereal set out.

The next morning, my daughter found a USED TAMPON behind our bed. Luckily she did not touch it. I notified the cleaning lady and two hours later, when we checked out, it was still there.

I could not have imagined a worse stay. I have had better hotel experiences in Morocco than I did at this Super 8.

But hey, check-out went very quick, so I guess they have that going for them.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank cltadams
Atlanta
Reviewed August 16, 2009

You get what you pay for, and in this price range, the Super 8 was fine: clean, quiet, no-frills functional. My only specific complaint was the towels: they seemed to be made of steel wool, or of some kindred substance that makes it impossible for them to absorb moisture.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
weston, West Virginia
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Pretty sad when I enter the second floor that it reeks highly of cigarette smoke. I knew we were in for a treat. Opened up the door to our room and it was so hot and smelled of smoke so badly that it almost took my breath. I was busted to use the rest room so badly. I turned the light on to the bathroom and first thing I seen was a small bug crawling up the wall. The shower/tub has the fiberglass peeling from it and the shower head pipe sticks out of the wall about six inches. I don't even know if I want to take a shower in it. The bed linens are disgusting. Cigarette burns in all the linens and ash stains. Big reason I think Cig smoking should be banned in hotels too. In front of the bed is a couple of nice weak, sunk in spots in the floor. I'm very unhappy and upset.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple