“Excellant Stay”

Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed October 11, 2010

This hotel is great. We have stayed here many times and the service is top notch. The front desk folks always remember us when we return. They have our room preference noted and have not failed to come though.

Longue staff is great as is longue. Breakfast is better than most places and the complimentary drinks and apps are a nice touch.

Pool is clean.

Breakfast in restaurant is very good. If you want a breakfast included stay, choose that one when booking - it definitly saves money.

Evening restaurant items are good, room service quick.

Location - its a tough location since not in downtown. Easy to get to from airport and easy to get downtown - but location is a little remote.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed October 11, 2010

My wife and I went to Charlottesville Virginia during her fall break from teaching school. We love all of the history of the area and decded to make our central staying point at the Doubletree Hotel in Charlottesville, Virginia. The staff at the hotel is superb. All of the people that we encountered were friendly and knowledgeable. Every spot of the hotel was clean as could be. The restaurant had good food but not great. We were very impressed with the 9th floor complimentary breakfast and cocktail hour. Food was good and the the service, once again, was great. We would most suredly be willing to stay again at this property.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2010

From check-in to check-out, I found the hotel staff to be outstanding, raising an average property to an above-average experience. The rooms are nice but really nothing special. Sometimes it's the small things: 1) The cheesy clock radio was off by hours, and I was told that maintenance would have to take the clock apart to set the time (are you kidding me?); 2) the lighting in the bathroom was so abysmal, that there wasn't one good spot for doing hair and makeup; 3) the a/c unit was temperamental and noisy.; and 4) light poured in around all sides of the door to the hallway. On the other hand, the bed and pillows were comfy, the business center was convenient and free, and service at breakfast was excellent. I had a late dessert at the hotel restaurant on two occasions, and the restaurant staff treated me very well.

The location was fine -- Charlottesville isn't so big that you're that far from anything --and I was glad I wasn't staying near the busy pedestrian mall. All in all, this hotel was adequate, the staff was marvelous, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I was impressed beyond belief with how well the staff managed everything - even without us asking. We came in late and tired with 3 fussy kids and they helped us get our luggage up to the room, parked the car and delivered cookies and crayons - even some milk for the baby since the restaurant was officially closed. i was so grateful as you can imagine!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We spent one night here over an extended weekend, and chose this location for two primary reasons - first was that they allow pets (for a reasonable fee), and second was that the room rate was one of the lowest we found. I must say that, given the rate we paid, I wasn't expecting this to be one of the nicer Doubletrees I'd ever stayed in, but I've got to admit that it was pretty darn nice - again, for a Doubletree. That's not to say that it was a 5-star property, but then that's not what Doubletrees are all about. In general, they usually represent what I would describe as the lower-middle section of the hotel quality spectrum, but his particular location exceeded that category in most respects. And, for the price, I couldn't complain at all.

The location is convenient to Highway 29 on the north side of Charlottesville, so if you have business on that side of town, this could be a great spot for you, although Charlottesville, is not that large, so just about anywhere in town is accesible within 15 - 20 minutes.

The restaurant was adequate, although nothing special. We had salads and iced tea, so can't really judge a restaurant by that, but given the menu selections and overall quality/feel of the place, I would say that, if you want something other than the convenience of a quick bite without having to leave the hotel, you would likely be better off going somewhere else.

Although we didn't use them, both the pool and the fitness center looked pretty nice.

All-in-all, though, whenever I return to Charlottesville, and if they rate is still reasonable, I'll definitely plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2010

We've stayed at the Doubletree 5 times visiting a daughter at UVA and we have yet to be disappointed. Rooms are consistently spotless, staff is unfailingly courteous and genuinely interactive and the brunch can't be beat. If you're lucky, you'll get to see some of the country's greatest college athletes because UVA's opposing teams often stay at this hotel - and here again, they're terrific young people you'll be glad you met. We've been here with college band groups and beauty pageants and never have been in any way inconvenienced or disturbed. Close to the university but even closer to shopping, the hotel is set up above one of Charlottesville's main roads - an oasis when you drive onto the property of beautiful grounds and an elegant but comfortable lobby overlooking a beautifully designed pool. I call 'em like I see 'em and I've never seen anything I didn't like at this Doubletree. And free high speed internet is a bonus!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Touring Virginia this hotel was perfectly acceptable, stayed here 3 nights. We had a B&B package which was good value. Overall the hotel was perfectly acceptable, nothing special. The bar was OK and the food again perfectly acceptable, good valaue, waitress generally friendly and helpful, not false, good atmosphere. The room was clean, good air con and of a good size, everthing worked and no real complaints. The hotel hosted a rehearsal dinner on one night but this did not affect us. We had two issues, first our washing was dry cleaned not washed and we were charged enough to build a laundry. To be fair, I complained and immediately the full charge was waived - full marks, even the hotel could not understand the size of the bill. Second despite reassurance to the contrary we were charged to our credit card when we had already prepaid. Finally sorted after our return home and we have a refund but quite a hassle particularly as I suspected we had been double charged and questioned the reception at the time. Smallish but nice pool and reasonable fitness centre. We used the free internet in the business centre and that was efficient and worked. Free parking with very easy access to Monticello, Ash Lawn and everything else you would want to see n the area. Very nice meal at the Boathouse about a 4 minute drive. Given the good deal we had, yes I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple