“Comfortable and clean rooms and friendly staff”

Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I traveled from PA to Charlottesville for a weekend wedding and stayed at the Doubletree Charlottesville since that's where the reception was being held. As I notice in another review the hotel itself is not easily visible from the main drag even though it's very close.

I had arrived around 5:00 pm and my room was ready although I do know that some of my family also from out of town had arrived earlier in the day and had to wait a while for their rooms to become ready.

The room itself (king) was extremely clean and looked as if it had just been renovated although I don't know if it had been or not. I found the room to be plenty big. The bathroom was very clean and it seems that they have recently upgraded many of the fixtures.

Any of the hotel staff that I might have come in contact with were all very pleasant.

For the reception I have no complaints as the food was good as was the service.

All in all I'd have to say that this was one of the better hotels I've ever stayed in and I'd gladly recommend it to any of my friends or family.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville

Reviewed October 9, 2009

Spent weekend at Doubletree Charlottesville for a golf tournament.
Hotel is located behind a large Auto dealership and next to Sams Club.
This meant HUGE traffic Saturday morning on the one-lane road from Hotel to city.
Hotel is large and was extremely busy during my stay - at least 5 full tour coaches.
Exec Level Room was large, modern, v comfortable, awesome huge bathroom.
Breakfast bountiful. Great value for money.
Excellent service from friendly professional Staff (24 hr Recept, we arrived at 3am).

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Just came back from a family gathering this weekend. The hotel is nice and easy to locate but... We were supposed to have adjoining rooms. Not the case and they made no attempt to fix their mistake. My sister just had to make the best of it. Our rooms were side by side but it was rough with all the kids having to go out into the hall to get to the other room. One room the air unit did not work and wasn't even plugged in and the other room the exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work. Housekeeping was ok but most of the staff could not speak english. No refrigerator in the room but they had internet access. The Wolfgang coffee was the best part of the stay. The kids really enjoyed the pool and hot tub which was open 24 hours. The menu for the restaurant was extremely limited so we went elsewhere to eat. Banquet facilities were nice and our meal was really good on the last night. Not too sure I would pick this hotel in the future. They really should have made an attempt to fix the room problem, especially for a family with 6 kids.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed October 5, 2009

This Doubletree seems to cater to large groups, so we ran into the kinds of issues common to hotels in this category - rooms not available at check-in, and the staff seem harried and uncaring. I'm not sure what was going on this weekend in Charlottesville, but I paid a very high rate for the area (almost $200 prepaid with taxes) and got an average room with below-average service.

At check-in, no room was available until well after 3p, and although we sat in the lobby waiting for well over an hour, we had to keep asking if something was ready as they were unwilling to come to us. When one finally was, the trainee checking us in charged the credit card again, even though it was a pre-paid stay (through the Hilton web site), and when we pointed this out they shrugged and suggested that we dispute it with the credit card company. At our request, a manager appeared, who fixed the error, but loudly and publicly berated the trainee who should have been better supervised from the start.

The next morning, this same manager informed us that Gold HHonors members are not entitled to executive floor rooms or free breakfast, which is completely incorrect according to the HHonors website. When I asked what the Gold benefit was, she shrugged and said "well, we try to put the Golds on a higher floor if we can."

This attitude was pervasive throughout the hotel - a bellhop let the elevator door close on us without apology, and there was no-one at the front door to help when we had problem with a bottle breaking in the driveway.

The one exception was our server at breakfast, he went out of his way to be pleasant and make sure we had everything we needed.

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank hbyerly
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I have found Doubletree to be a reliably pleasant experience. I would recommend it to anyone going to the Charlottesville area for pleasure. I found the location to be good for what we needed. We were touring some of the historic sites, wine country, and enjoying some fine restaurants. Rooms were clean, breakfast was good, free wireless internet was nice, service was good as well. On the last day we were there, the College marching band was having some kind of weekend get together and were clogging up the lobby and elevators. I think that this could have been handled better by management.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights on the way to NC. It took us a good few minutes to find the hotel. It is beside a Sam's warehouse and is up and off the main road that it can't be seen when driving by. The tomtom just brought us to the stop light near it, so we had to do some driving around before we spotted it. It is a gorgeous hotel, the pool area is really nice, and a nice veranda off the back. Really nice fitness centre too.
We got an excellent price on Priceline ($50/night) which we felt was excellent considering the hotel. The room was nice, but no fridge of microwave. Decent size, nothing too out of the ordinary. Clean. There wasn't a free breakfast, but the staff really pushed the on-site restaurant. As far as I could see, there was never anyone in it!
It was about a 20 min drive from Monticello, and about 10 minutes from the UVA/downtown area. We really recommend checking out the Downtown walking mall. It was very nice, lots of interesting shops and locals hanging out. Overall, we were very happy with this hotel and Charlottesville.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank PatriciaTraveller
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Nothing bad about this hotel. The room was spotless, beds comfortable, great shower, airconditioning. Everything good.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple