“Average hotel with small beds and a little more driving required than most in C-ville”

Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here for a tennis tournament this weekend and will say that I got an excellent rate for a busy weekend in Charlottesville. That said, this hotel has both some pluses and some minuses.

Minus - location. It's not great for Charlottesville tourism. You'll have to drive from the hotel on congested Rte. 29 to anything you have come to Charlottesville to see.

Plus - Front desk. They were super polite and even though somehow my reservation had not been correctly adjusted in the way I'd asked it to be - that presented no issue. They were also helpful with a great local map and answering my questions. The front lobby area itself is attractive.

Minus - Bed. It's not comfortable and it's definitely full-size, not queen size.

Minus - Doors. Both the locks on our room door and on the door to the adjoining room were a little bit more wobbly than I would have liked. We barricaded one door with a chair and the other with a giant heavy tennis bag.

Plus - Otherwise, the room was very clean and nicely decorated.

Plus - Room service - food was good and brought up quickly after we ordered by a friendly person.

So a few tweaks and this hotel could easily bring up its rating. C-ville hotels can be pricy, so if I got that great rate I got for the tournament again, I would stay here again even given all the minuses I cited.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Kenny Fan Fairfax,
I am pleased that you were able to join us for your recent tournament. Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. Our goal is to provide superior service and accommodations to each and every guest that stays with us and we rely on your feedback to continue improving. I am pleased that the room rate, in room dining, and new appointments in your room helped enhance your stay. I am especially pleased to know that the service you experienced was to the high standard that we expect. Please accept my apologies for the opportunities we missed to exceed your expectations. We take security very seriously and will address your concerns about your door locks with our maintenance team. I hope that we have a chance to welcome you back again. Please reach out to me for assistance with upcoming reservations or with any additional feedback.
313-253-4344

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Reviewed August 7, 2013

First - this is not a 2.5 Star room as listed on Priceline, more a 1.5. The staff really was really wonderful and sort of made this aging/run down facility more tolerable, but it is in no way a well maintained hotel. They stated that it has just completed upgrades to the hotel. This simply is not true. Outlets were hanging out of wall, shower didn't work, tv have multiple issues, decor terrible (in room). Ugh :-(

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Galileo321
Galileo 321,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you, our guest, to help us improve our hotel operation. I would like to truly apologize for the issues you had during your stay. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case, we failed to meet that criteria. Please know that the issues in your room have been addressed and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn’t happen again. When you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement. Please reach out to me directly with any additional feedback, or for assistance with your next visit.Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.
Va. Beach, United States
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This hotel was extremely pretty and clean. Location is close to many shopping areas and UVA in Charlottesville. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was larger than many hotels I've stayed at and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast offering was extensive, complete with an omlet station. The overall experience was A+!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Nancy,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our staff prides themselves on providing superior service and accommodations to each and every guest that stays with us and it is great to know how we are doing. We are so delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed your room, with all of its distinctive amenities. I am pleased that the location of the hotel and the breakfast helped to enhance your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

For the price I paid, this is just an okay hotel. First, it is a long walk from the parking lot to the hotel lobby (even in the handicap parking section). Secondly, the spa (hot tub) was closed-that was a bummer. After checking in and getting to my room, I realized that I was not given my warm cookie-an even bigger bummer ! Upon entering my room, it smelled a little musty, but I guess I got used to it. The bathroom was extremely small (a typical Hampton Inn bathroom is twice the size). The beds are the comfortable Doubletree beds, which I enjoy. As a gold member, I had access to the executive lounge, which was a nice touch (free finger foods and drinks in the evening and continental breakfast in the morning). The hotel is within a couple of miles to lots of places to eat, so the location is great. For the price I was charged, I'd look around at other options first before booking here again, but wouldn't rule out staying at the Doubletree in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
It's Just Me 47,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about the hotel. We pride ourselves on the service that we provide and we rely on feedback like yours to continue improving. I am pleased that the hotel location, Executive Lounge, and guest beds helped to make your stay more enjoyable. I very much regret that you weren't able to enjoy your warm cookie; we will be sure you get one during your next visit. We will use your comments about the guest room to monitor and improve the quality and service that we are providing. We hope that you have an opportunity to visit us again soon and if there is anything I can do personally to assist with a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Well I really don't understand the negative reviews based on my experience. I found the staff very pleasant, the room was spacious and clean, the hotel was nicely maintained, and the open layout and flow of the common areas felt very nice and airy. Breakfast was good and filling. The grounds were nice. If you have a dog, there are private grassy areas where your dog can go potty that are shielded from people walking by so it's a better experience for dog owners (because at least my dog is easily distracted and takes forever to go if there are people walking by) and and non-dog owners who don't want to see a dog taking a dump first thing in the morning. I thought it was a great value for the money and I will definitely call up this hotel the next time I'm in Charlottesville

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Melanie,
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you so much for your kind review. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of quality and service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure that we acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. I am pleased that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel entrance was a little hard to find. Look for the Walmart and the Sam's Club entrances and you're very close. The accommodations were average. Location required a lot of driving to the area attractions (ie., UVA, downtown district, Monticello) up and down Route 29, which has quite a bit of traffic and traffic lights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura S
Stom Ski Racing,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit to the hotel. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case, we failed to meet that criteria. We are working to continually improve the guest room experience. I hope to have a chance to welcome you back again and provide the outstanding experience you should expect. Please reach out to me with any additional feedback, or for assistance with upcoming reservations.
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Not terrible, but expected more out of a Doubletree. Stayed for 10 days. The location is on the extreme north edge of town and not very convenient to UVA or Monticello or downtown.

Hotel is serviced by two elevators, only one of which seemed to work most of the time. The elevator waiting area in the lobby was very hot and humid (maybe because the indoor pool is nearby and the whole area around it was stuffy and uncomfortable) and the elevators themselves even hotter. I didn't enjoy the long sweaty wait for an elevator each time returning to the hotel.

The air conditioner in the room produced tons of condensation. One night I left my work clothes for the next day on a chair and in the morning found them soaking wet from the air conditioner. So instead of having breakfast I spent the morning trying to dry my clothes with the iron and har dryer.

Housekeeping was kind of sloppy and lackluster. They didn't change the linens on the bed for the entire 10 days. One day I returned to the room at lunchtime for only about 15 minutes and put out the "do not disturb" sign only for that short time because the housekeeping carts were nearby. The room didn't get serviced that day at all.

Finally, I want my cookie! Stayed for 10 days and only cookie I ever saw was the giant picture of a cookie on the side of the hotel van.

I've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Charlottesville and it was nicer and has better location. I also heard that the Omni downtown is very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DrawingBlank2013
Drawing Blank 2013,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve.
I am pleased that the location of the hotel was convenient for you. Please accept my apologies for the opportunities we missed to service you during your stay. Please know that your comments will be used as a training opportunity. We are replacing a cooling unit for the elevators to make the wait and ride comfortable. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests. Each survey we receive is reviewed and shared with every associate in an effort to improve the service and accommodations that we provide our guests. We thank you for your candid feedback, and hope that you will choose to stay with us should you visit the area again. Please reach out to me directly with any additional feedback, or for assistance with upcoming reservations. We will be sure that you get your warm and delicious cookie!