“Doubletree was PERFECT!!! Welcome relief from The Inn At Afton”

Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed April 8, 2008

If you saw my review for The Inn At Afton in Waynesboro you will know my little adventure there that caused us to leave ASAP and we proceeded to the Charlottesville Doubletree. Check In was fast and easy especially considering we had no reservation and were just hoping they had a room available, Front desk staff extremely friendly!!! We managed to get a room on the Club Level floor for the 4 nights we were staying for $129 a night, Club level basically just free breakfast on that floor every morning and guaranteed top floor room not a big deal but I hate staying on lower floors so for me this was perfect. Got to the room and it was very nice and relaxing only problem at all was the a/c unit, it wasnt too quiet and it ran most of the night, and cutting it off quickly made the room stuffy again, but my girlfriend and I are sound sleepers so it wasnt an issue for very long. The first night ate in the restaurant and the food was great and surprisingly in my opinion anyway very inexpensive for a hotel restaurant with great food, had several drinks from the bar, also inexpensive, martinis were like $5.50 I believe? cant beat that!!! In the morning we had our club level breakfast included with room and it was great, then we headed out to do some sightseeing and shopping, later on coming back into C-Ville stopped at Red Lobster for dinner, should've known better honestly there awful here in Virginia Beach, and just as bad there too, in fact the next 3 nights we just ate in the hotel restaurant because it was just that good!!! upon checking out the friendly woman asked me how was my stay and how was the breakfast, I told her breakfast was great but we missed it on our last morning because we overslept, well to my surprise she gets the Manager and the Manager says even though you overslept we think you should still be entitled to that free breakfast, she took us into the restaurant that was closed until lunch, seated us and manged to find a waitress and said we could order anything wed like and its on them. That was simply amazing and I never would expect that from anyone being it was my fault we missed breakfast, management and staff here just went above and beyond their duty and that just shows how great this hotel is!!! The Inn At Afton sickened us, but this hotel turned what we thought would be a nightmare into heaven!!! I think I kind of realize now its best to just stick with what you know and stay at chain hotels, versus independents, always had good luck with Hilton/Doubletree brand and this one was exceptional!!!

Bryan
Virginia Beach, VA

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville

Reviewed April 6, 2008

The stay at the Doubletree was fine, it is located on the North end of 29 by the Wal Mart/Sams Club.

There are really no restuarants around except at the hotel (okay) to across the street Rhetts Seafood Restaurant.

The rooms are quite decent, newly renovated, the front desk staff were delightful, the outdoor pool is closed forever they only have the indoor pool/whirlpool open now.

They do have airport shuttle service, so it is worth it to park your car there and take the shuttle.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2008

I stayed at the Doubletree with my husband and 5-yr old daughter on a recent Friday night. The room was large and clean; beds were comfortable. The furnishings were somewhat dated, though, with plenty of nicks and dings. My only significant complaint was that the indoor pool area was really cold. The pool itself was heated to an appropriate temp, but the air temp made for a chilly, unpleasant experience.

Overall, my stay was worth what I paid on priceline, but I wouldn't stay at this hotel for the full, advertised price.

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank Reluctant_traveler_8
Reviewed January 4, 2008

I have stayed in this hotel twice. The first time was on business, and then once for a personal trip. I was able to get a great price on priceline, and I was very happy to stay here again. The place looks very nice, and the rooms are large and very cozy. The bed and sheets are very comfortable to sleep in. I found the hotel to be very quiet both times I stayed there. The only complaint I have is that the parking lot gets full easily and both times I stayed there I had to walk futher than I wanted to with all my stuff. I would be happy to stay here again. This is one of the coziest hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank choover1
Reviewed December 25, 2007

We stayed at this hotel on Thanksgiving day. We had missed our dinner reservations that day, so we were pretty bummed out. So we headed to our hotel. They were able to supply us with a Thanksgiving meal sent to our room. This really helped to salvage the day.

The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was soft and we had a great nights sleep.

Oh, my husband loved the warm welcome cookie ... he even asked for seconds!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank radleyas
Reviewed October 22, 2007

I was quite pleased with the value I received at this hotel -- $60 on priceline for an October Saturday. As you can tell from the reviews, the hotel is in the middle of a room renovation (they have a sign in the lobby about it). I asked for a renovated room and got one. While some of the fixtures seem quite old (the ac unit looks like it predates the hotel!), the new beds/linens/furniture are quite decent. Public rooms of the hotel are excellent, and the indoor pool is good. If you can get a renovated room at this price, you're simply not going to get better value in Charlottesville.

My only real beef is that -- like many hotels -- they're putting 2 twin beds in the renovated rooms. When will hoteliers wake up and realize that 2 queens are what America needs? So even if you have 2 beds, you can only really sleep 2 people comfortably. My wife and I were travelling with our young daughter, and we were 1 person too many for a truly comfortable night's sleep!

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank Dave's_reviews
Reviewed October 21, 2007

As another reviewer mentioned, this was a weird mixture of old and new -- like they had a budget for renovations that was way under what was needed. Our room was supposed to have been one of the renovated rooms. It had an extremely old bathroom with problems and the couch was old and a totally different color scheme than the new curtains/bedspread/carpet. Our "sweet dreams" bed had a new bedspread and nice pillows, etc., but was obviously an old mattress.

Bathroom was pretty bad - moldy and missing grout, old showerhead. Some rusty fixtures. View from our room is beautiful, with nice big window. The lobby is gorgeous, too. High speed wireless internet is very strong (excellent signal) and free. There's also a nice business center with two computers.

So would I stay here again? We're on a sightseeing long weekend, focusing on the beautiful fall weather -- so it was OK because we only paid $60 through Priceline. I sure wouldn't want to pay high price, or be here on a special occasion.

Coffee in the lobby in the morning - very good, too!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple