Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Omni Charlottesville(Charlottesville)
$219
$169
  • Pool
Hyatt Place Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$176
$169
The English Inn of Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$139
$135
Hampton Inn Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$128
$116
Courtyard by Marriott Charlottesville North(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$107
UVA Inn at Darden(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$116
Sleep Inn & Suites Monticello(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$112
$102
SleepInn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$144
Homewood
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$153
$139
Boar's Head Resort(Charlottesville)
$165
$160
1,461 results
All reviewsdouble treeexecutive floorsam's clubcookiesindoor poolfront desk staffbreakfast buffethot tubbusiness centerc villefitness centernice staywalmartloungeconferenceuvatavern
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Doubletree ranks a 5 in my travel experience! From the time you check in, the service is wonderful! TJ's resturant has a good variety to choose from and the food is excellent! The rooms are very clean and spacious! The choice of pillows is excellent!

Room Tip: Book a room on the 9th floor (conceige). They offer evening snacks and drinks as well as morning breakfast.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travel56
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Overall, this is a great hotel to stay at but I feel like there were a few things that dampened my enthusiasm to stay here again.

First, it seems like there is a lack of attention to detail by the maintenance personnel at the hotel. My hotel sink had a large blob of pink putty (presumably to seal the gap between the sink and the counter) along the back of the sink. I also could not figure out why there is a wall thermostat that does nothing. If you want to change the temperature, you must walk up to the wall AC unit. In the fitness center, one of the treadmills had a broken increase volume button for the personal TV.

Second, I am being led to believe that this hotel must have a few floors for smokers. I got a room on a non-smoking floor but whenever I got into the elevator, I could smell the smoke. It is definitely not a hotel for anyone who is sensitive to smoke.

Third, the internet is incredibly slow. I know the internet is free but I would expect the speed to at least let you load web pages in a timely manner.

While this hotel was certainly reasonably priced and overall a great value, I will consider looking elsewhere next time I’m in Charlottesville.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank taniguck
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We were surprised on a recent trip, not having stayed at a doubletree, how nice and how large this hotel was. Several people traveling with us also enjoyed the breakfast buffet and ability to go to the hotel bar in the evening. It is convenient to Charlottesville airport and much of the city's shopping area, but it can be a chore to get to the city center/UVA campus during rush hour through that same shopping strip. We were also a bit frustrated that the staff put the bill under the door of one of the guests in our group who was being treated to the room as a present after leaving explicit instructions to give another member of our party all the bills.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank C F
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night in November 2012. From the outside, the hotel looks like it would be rather plain and "blah." It looks like an older hotel; clean but old and unremarkable. But once you step inside, it is actually quite nice. I was here for a conference and the conference rooms were clean and well-kept with good temperature control. I didn't see people shivering or sweating. The lobby was very clean and modern. The inside of the hotel looks quite different from what I expected from the outside. The food was nice and the room itself was great. The staff was friendly and offered a warm cookie upon arrival. When I locked myself out, they replaced my key in about 14 seconds with a smile.

I had 1 King bed on the 7th floor overlooking the parking lot to Sam's Club and the mountains. There are only 2 elevators and while they move swiftly, there were times where there was a bit of a wait. The bed was super comfortable and the room was a good size. There was a desk with internet port, a sofa, coffee table and a flat screen TV. Importantly, the room has free wi-fi that operates reasonably well. Streaming video from Youtube hiccuped a few times on my ipad, but loading up basic web pages and sending emails was no problem.

The bathroom was very nice. and clean. I hate peeling wallpaper, water stains and dirty grout. This was entirely the opposite. Everything was pristine and both the bathroom and main room have trash baskets that let you separate out paper recycling. No weird noises, no weird smells. It was a very nice, clean room.

I didn't swim but the pool set-up is a bit weird. It is on the lobby level and everyone in the lobby or restaurant can see you swimming. The exercise room is very small with just a few pieces of equipment but everything seemed to be in working order.

The location itself is pretty good in that it is just down the street from quite a few restaurants,strip malls and a mall. Chik-fila, Walmart, Red Robin, Panera, Outback, Jimmy Johns, Asian buffet restaurants and a bunch of other things are very close by. None of it is the cute, picturesque scene you'd fine near the UVA campus, but it is functional. Great location for business but not necessarily for the quaint little weekend getaway. Not so great for romantic outings.

Room Tip: The lobby is actually on the 3rd floor with a conference room and exercise facilities on the lower levels (1 and 2). So 3rd floor is actually "ground floor" in the event that you are looking for a higher room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed at the Doubletree Charlottesville for 3 nights in late October, visiting my daughter for Parents' Weekend at UVA. I usually stay at the Hampton Inns, but they were full; next time I will try harder to get into one of the Hampton Inns, as they are a better choice and a better value.

The staff were all very friendly. Check in was quick and efficient, and I received a tasty (but cold) chocolate chip cookie (have never actually received a WARM cookie when staying at a Doubletree). When I arrived to the room I found the door blocked open, which I found strange. The a/c was on but the room was not cool. I closed the door and the curtains and took a nap. Before leaving for the evening I reported the a/c. When I returned the wall thermostat had been removed, the door to the control panel of the unit was open, and it was cooling.

The room was clean and comfortable; the bathroom was quite small, but clean, although the shower curtain looked like my cat had climbed it, it was so pulled and snagged. The amount of towels left by housekeeping varied from night to night; 3 the first night, 4 the second, 2 the last. I never received the turndown service mentioned in the hotel information in the room.

When I returned to the room the second night the a/c was no longer working, and it did not work properly the rest of my stay. I did not report it again. If put on "fan" the fan blew but did not cool; if put on "cool" it cooled for a couple of minutes then shut off.

The pool area is lovely but the hot tub has been coated with a "non-slip" surface that is so sharp it is actually uncomfortable to sit on. Although the hot tub is nice and warm, it is so shallow that if you sit on the bench, most of your upper body is out of the water; you must sink to the bottom to immerse yourself. When I went to the hot tub the last night of my stay it was devoid ofpool towels, and since there were only 2 bath towels in my room (for my daughter and myself) I did not have an extra for the pool. The nearby gym area had been raided for hand towels; wet hand towels were strewn about the pool area, and apparently dripping pool users had simply padded down the hallway and ridden the elevators back to their rooms, as both were very wet. If the hotel has a pool, they should have someone looking after it.

My rate included breakfast. It was a typical hotel buffet breakfast; good, nothing special. The omlettes were very good. The wait staff basically ignored us, telling us to "sit wherever we wanted" when we entered the restaurant. I sat quite awhile my first morning, waiting to be offered a drink.

The location is on US 29, closer to the airport than UVA; there are better-located hotels if you are visiting the university, but it is fine. It is right next to Walmart.

The hotel was noisy for my taste. One night I was awoken at 3 a.m. by other guests screaming out in the hallway and slamming doors. Our last morning housekeeping pounded on the door, yelling "housekeeping"; it was unnecessary, as you could hear them coming down the hallway they were so loud. About 30 seconds later ANOTHER housekeeper was at the door again, and a couple of minutes later, a third. For goodness sakes, you'd think they would coordinate, or at least notice one another! By the third visit, my daughter was up....

The first floor, and my floor, smelled of new carpet, which was nice; accidently visited a "smoking" floor, though, and it absolutely REEKED of smoke, worse than a Vegas casino. So, if that matters to you, be sure to select a non-smoking floor.

In conclusion, it was OK for my stay, but there are many options in C'ville, and next time I'll stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Michael S, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton during your travels to the Charlottesville area. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests.

I am of course very concerned to learn that your experience fell short of your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed with the rooms and overall property. I trust we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back to Charlottesville.

Warmest Regards,