“Very Quiet and Clean”

Hampton Inn and Suites Charlottesville - At The University
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed April 28, 2006

I spent just one night here while attending a wedding at the UVA chapel. I wish I could have stayed here longer. The regular rooms are nothing fancy but boy are they clean and comfortable. I slept like a rock and had a great breakfast in the lobby. Best of all checkout time was not until noon so I did not have to rush to get out of there.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank FRANKIE569
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn and Suites Charlottesville - At The University

Reviewed April 12, 2006

The hotel is nice, clean, and a great location.. but service is very poor. We had two rooms. Both parties requested wake up calls when we checked in and neither of us got one, so we were both late getting going. My wife tried to use the hair dryer and it was broken. I am a Hilton Honors member but got no paper. At check out I asked for a "comment card" and was told they dont have any! No wonder! Too bad such a nice place with such poor service.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank Big Hugo
Reviewed March 21, 2006

March 17-19
DH and I decided to take a long weekend and visit Monticello and downtown Charlottesville area. All other hotels in the immediate area of the university/downtown were booked. I kept checking online and was lucky to book this room the day before we left. Our AAA rate was $130. We arrived at 8:30 pm. exhausted and were greeted by a wonderful surprise: the hotel was beautiful, very clean. Loved the fireplace in the lobby. In the lobby there is also a computer with internet for guest use. Plenty of parking. Our King room was clean, the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was huge. I think this was an accessible room. We did not hear any noises, very quiet. Breakfast was plentiful, on Sunday they offered hot scrambled eggs. We had no problem getting a table for breakfast. In the afternoon they put out fresh baked cookies. They offer hot beverages in the breakfast area all the time and the "sweet shop" had free magazines available. Pizza shop and chinese restaurant are across the street, very convenient. Location is very convenient, about two blocks down from the University, we walked over to the Rotunda to tour. also visited other shops and restaurants near the university.

• Stayed: March 2006
9  Thank Maryland990
Reviewed February 11, 2006

I had driven for 33 hours straight when I pulled into the driveway at this Hampton Inn (just as it began snowing), so I was delighted to find a lovely hotel with great, quiet rooms and comfortable beds. I slept very well...

The location is very close to the university. The only hotel that has a better location is the Red Roof Inn. I stayed there on a subsequent stay -- it was terrible.

If you need to stay close to UVA, this Hampton Inn is the place where you want to stay!!

• Stayed: January 2000, traveled on business
7  Thank dcdude
Reviewed October 11, 2005

Just spent the nights of 10/9 & 10/10 at this Hampton Inn. Pros: excellent location. The property is within 2-3 blocks of UVA and many pleasant local restaurants are within easy walking distance. Cons: noise & small breakfast area. Rooms at the front of the property (our room) face Main Street; a two lane "main drag" from downtown to the campus. Emergency vehicles traveling to the university hospital pass by frequently as do fire engines on their way to the campus. (false alarms in the dorms??). The breakfast area has only 8 tables and they are uncomfortably packed together. To compound the problem there is insufficient space between the tables and the serving areas. Oddly, the property has a very spacious lobby area with many chairs and sofa. Unfortunately, only one seating arrangement in that area is sutiable for eating; a small table for two by one of the windows. The other seating areas are fine if one has only a beverage, but would not be adequate if one has a plate. Either the table is to the side of the chairs or it is much lower than the chairs (think small, low coffee table). While we were staying a tour bus delivered a group. When those folks all hit the breakfast area at one time, most other patrons gave up or took plates back up to their rooms.

During the past 12 months I've stayed at Hampton Inns in California, Tennessee and Arizona. I'd rate this one as "middle of the pack". Others have commented on the breakfast as being a "cut above" the ordinary Hampton Inn. It is the same breakfast as we've had at above mentioned properties. My impression is that the "two hot items" are standard at all the properties.

• Stayed: October 2005
10  Thank Accounting Professor
Reviewed September 10, 2005

The location was perfect for our overnight stay to see the sights of Charlottesville. It is a little over a half mile walk to the historic downtown area and about the same distance to the Rotunda of the University of Virginia. The staff was courteous and the service was prompt. We had a king suite which was spacious and clean. The kitchen included a full size refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and range. There were no pay per view movies but there was a VCR. The complimentary breakfast buffet was adequate with scrambled egg patties, sausage, biscuits, fresh fruit salad and pastries.

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank Mark_in_VA
Reviewed August 8, 2005

We only stayed for one night, but really enjoyed a relaxing evening.

PROS: Nice walk to historic downtown with lots to check out on the way; very friendly staff greeted us and was so respectful; most comfortable bed I've ever had in a hotel; pretty sizable free breakfast - we packed it as a lunch; very nice and attractive, great location.

CONS: I can't really think of any... maybe could cost a little less for a Hampton Inn, but the service & comfort were definitely worth it!

BTW, the historic downtown mall closes pretty early, around 6 p.m. So if you're there after then, the only things open are restaurants - not much else to see there. Go walk or drive around the historic neighborhoods instead... Or better yet, head in the other direction towards the University - much more diverse and interesting.

• Stayed: August 2005