“Excellent staff, convenient location, well appointed room”

Hampton Inn and Suites Charlottesville - At The University
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Buffalo, New York
“Excellent staff, convenient location, well appointed room”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Seriously, each staff member was so incredibly warm and helpful. I'm generally not a review writer but the great service I received there just compels me to do so. The rooms were clean, comfortable and well appointed and the refrigerator an unexpected bonus that made my colleagues staying at the Marriott envious. The common areas are also attractive and comfortable; the fire a nice treat during a stormy visit. I was in town for a conference being held downtown and I found the 10-15 minute walk easy and enjoyable though the free trolley was an excellent option. Free shuttle service to the airport was also a bonus. I highly recommend this for a stay in Charlottesville.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My son and his wife chose this as the headquarters for guests and wedding party for their Charlottesville wedding. It is located perfectly for walking to the University of Virginia and all the restaurants and pubs at The Corner. The hotel itself is excellently run and I have no complaints. It is not luxury but the next thing to it. There is no restaurant, though, so in the evening if you're hungry you have to call for delivery from nearby fast food or restaurants instead of room service. Only a small point. I would definitely stay there again and choose it next time I am in town.

Room Tip: My son said he thinks my room on the fourth floor was more recently renovated than his room on the f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
VA
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This Hampton Inn & Suites is just lovely! We were efficiently helped by Stanley to check in early on 10/11/2012, before an event at the Pavilion. The interior design is gorgeous. Every single staff member we came into contact with was friendly, welcoming, helpful and warm. Breakfast was fresh and yummy. The suite (room 301) was wonderful, with a little fireplace, an entirely separate bedroom besides the fold out couch living room. Charming decor, great little kitchen. Fresh and clean. I am finding of late as I travel to various hotels at several levels, that many are resting on their laurels, and I find great inconsistencies. Hampton Inn is staying crisp, current, and always consistent on their newer branding, following through with choosing great staff that embody the brand by being top notch. I always find I am delighted when I come to Hampton Inns! Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: Go for a suite if you can-worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Chesapeake
Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you are visiting UVA or their Medical Center you will be in a perfect location.
My husband is under treatment at the Medical Center and we can drive to Charlottesville the day before his appointment, spend the night and be at his Doctor's office in about 5 to 10 minutes from leaving the hotel.
It has been wonderful for us.
The hotel is very nice, comfortable beds and large rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
louisville
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is a very nice Hampton Inn and Suites in an excellent location. While not a 5 star luxury hotel, I would give it a 5 star rating for the type of hotel it is except for one thing. I have stayed there 5 times in the past two years so obviously, I've been pleased but consistently I have had the same experience with the complimentary breakfast. There is a gentleman who stands at the entrance to the breakfast area in a very officious manner. For the most part, he has been unfriendly and doesn't seem to have a specific duty other than to watch the guests attending breakfast. I felt like he was monitoring how many biscuits I took!(only 1 if you're wondering).

I can certainly understand the hotel has to keep out non-guests who might try to sneak in for a free breakfast but checking a room key would take care of that. Often times, I will come downstairs and get my children cereal and take it back to the room, or I may come down and get a cup of coffee or juice and take it back to the room before I come down to eat breakfast-hence I might "visit" the breakfast area more than one time.

I think it's reasonable to stay the "complimentary" breakfast is not free but is included in the rate paid for the room. Hospitality is missing in the morning at this Hampton, otherwise no complaints..

Room Tip: For a quiter stay, ask for a room that doesn't face Main Street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GrahamAGM, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Charlottesville - At The University, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We can understand how this would look as if we were monitoring breakfast, however, we would like to assure you that the gentleman in the lobby is the bellman/van driver that is posted in the lobby to assist guests. We go over all comments with our staff in our daily meeting so that we can see how we are perceived by our guests.
western va
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our stays at this Hampton Inn in Charlottesville have been a welcome respite for us during my husband's surgery and return visits to his physician at the University of Virginia Hospital the past two months. The staff are exceptionally helpful and pleasant, going out of their way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The location is perfect to persons/families visiting the hospital . The breakfast is consistently fresh and the "to go packs" with muffins, fruit, etc. at the front desk are helpful to those who are traveling. Cleanliness is evident in the rooms, the lobby and breakfast area and the hotel in general is well maintained throughout. Fresh cookies and fruit are additional treats as well as tea and coffee. This is a great choice for those who visit Charlottesville no matter what the reason!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
AGrahamofGlass, Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Charlottesville - At The University, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
We thank you for your wonderful comments and look forward to your next stay.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hampton Inn with our three kids- 18, 15,10 for one night. Based on the reviews and our previous Hampton Inn experiences elsewhere we were expecting to be wowed. Unfortunately I would say that are stay was just average. The front desk staff was pleasant. The cleaning staff and food staff at breakfast were not particularly friendly. Our room was a one bedroom suite with two double beds. Our floor seemed a bit damp and the air conditioning never seemed to totally cool the room down. Beds were comfortable. This was not a terrible stay by any means - it was fine - but I just expected more.

• Stayed August 2012