Hampton Inn and Suites Charlottesville - At The University
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is a very nice Hampton Inn and Suites in an excellent location. While not a 5 star luxury hotel, I would give it a 5 star rating for the type of hotel it is except for one thing. I have stayed there 5 times in the past two years so obviously, I've been pleased but consistently I have had the same experience with the complimentary breakfast. There is a gentleman who stands at the entrance to the breakfast area in a very officious manner. For the most part, he has been unfriendly and doesn't seem to have a specific duty other than to watch the guests attending breakfast. I felt like he was monitoring how many biscuits I took!(only 1 if you're wondering).

I can certainly understand the hotel has to keep out non-guests who might try to sneak in for a free breakfast but checking a room key would take care of that. Often times, I will come downstairs and get my children cereal and take it back to the room, or I may come down and get a cup of coffee or juice and take it back to the room before I come down to eat breakfast-hence I might "visit" the breakfast area more than one time.

I think it's reasonable to stay the "complimentary" breakfast is not free but is included in the rate paid for the room. Hospitality is missing in the morning at this Hampton, otherwise no complaints..

Room Tip: For a quiter stay, ask for a room that doesn't face Main Street.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
GrahamAGM, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Charlottesville - At The University, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. We can understand how this would look as if we were monitoring breakfast, however, we would like to assure you that the gentleman in the lobby is the bellman/van driver that is posted in the lobby to assist guests. We go over all comments with our staff in our daily meeting so that we can see how we are perceived by our guests.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our stays at this Hampton Inn in Charlottesville have been a welcome respite for us during my husband's surgery and return visits to his physician at the University of Virginia Hospital the past two months. The staff are exceptionally helpful and pleasant, going out of their way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The location is perfect to persons/families visiting the hospital . The breakfast is consistently fresh and the "to go packs" with muffins, fruit, etc. at the front desk are helpful to those who are traveling. Cleanliness is evident in the rooms, the lobby and breakfast area and the hotel in general is well maintained throughout. Fresh cookies and fruit are additional treats as well as tea and coffee. This is a great choice for those who visit Charlottesville no matter what the reason!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
AGrahamofGlass, Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Charlottesville - At The University, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

We thank you for your wonderful comments and look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hampton Inn with our three kids- 18, 15,10 for one night. Based on the reviews and our previous Hampton Inn experiences elsewhere we were expecting to be wowed. Unfortunately I would say that are stay was just average. The front desk staff was pleasant. The cleaning staff and food staff at breakfast were not particularly friendly. Our room was a one bedroom suite with two double beds. Our floor seemed a bit damp and the air conditioning never seemed to totally cool the room down. Beds were comfortable. This was not a terrible stay by any means - it was fine - but I just expected more.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was a really nice place to stay. We were there for 3 nights. It is a very clean hotel. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel provides a free shuttle to local businesses and attractions, such as the University and the downtown (outdoor) mall. There is also a FREE trolley that goes by every 10 minutes or so. We were in C'ville for a wedding...It was the perfect place to stay, with a nice breakfast each morning.. coffee and tea were available all day and night, too.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor. Quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 1vtcrafter
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The shuttle service made our excursions into downtown Charlottesville very easy. We had 3 adults in a 2-room kitchenette suite; lots of room for us and our belongings. Apparently they launder the duvet covers - the first time that I have heard of that - just wonderful. All hotels should do that. The breakfast was the typical Hampton Inn breakfast, not exciting to me but adequate. A large, nice extended lobby area with a couple of large TVs. All staff members were friendly and helpful. I'll definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank eaglekg
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband stayed 5 days at the hotel while I was under going surgery. When making my reservation they were very accommodating . We went back for a followup and I was pleassed with the cleanliness and accommodations. It is located near the hospital and lots of restaurants. Their shuttle is available and their is a trolley stop across the street from the hotel. When we need to be in Charlottesville this Hampton Inn will be our first choice!!!

Room Tip: Mention if you need a handicap accessible room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Patricia S
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Usual Hampton Inn quality with a friendly and helpful staff. They had their work cut out for them because they day we arrived there was no electricity due to storms that had passed through the area during the night. They did a good job of telling us what they knew and what was uncertain. Their emergency generators kept the lights and air conditioning on in the lobby area and they were giving out bottles of cold water. Individual rooms had no power or AC so it was fortunate the power was restored by 4pm. Despite the complications due to power outages and downed trees in the Charlottesville area, the hotel was adequately staffed and was able to handle a full hotel.

Breakfast was OK with the usual options and the lady who set it up seemed to genuinely care that you had a good breakfast. The wi-fi in the rooms worked well (once their internet connection was restored after the storm) and there were free computers to use in the lobby area.

The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the UVA hospital. The “Corner” area, which is a collection of college type shops and restaurants, is about a half mile down Main Street. The downtown pedestrian mall is about a mile in the other direction on Main Street. If you are going to the hospital, whether you are walking or driving, you may want to go out the back entrance of the hotel parking lot, take a left on Roosevelt Brown Blvd and then the first right (Lee Street) which takes you to the hospital and the visitor parking lot.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple