“Very convenient to UVA”

Hampton Inn and Suites Charlottesville - At The University
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
North Carolina
“Very convenient to UVA”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I really enjoyed the convenient location of this Hampton to UVa. It's about an easy three-block walk there and there are a good many restaurants at "The Corner" adjacent to the University. I ended up driving to the downtown pedestrian mall, which is about a mile away. Monticello is four miles. I must say during my three day stay temperatures were in the 90's and I did miss having a pool on the property. The room was typical Hampton and only offered a view of the rooftop. The breakfast bar disappointed me with a lack of muffins on both days. For some reason the television in my room was not clear on just the first four channels. Staff was friendly, and premises very clean..

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Lee S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We had been traveling for two weeks staying at a Hampton Inn each night....then we came to Charlottesville and the difference was amazing! The staff at this Inn welcomed us like family and the rooms were the nicest I have ever been in. When it came time to leave, I didn't want to go! This Inn should be the model for Hampton Inns across the country. The staff are a true example of southern hospitality. I plan to go back to Charlottesville. One guess where I will be staying!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Demomma1
Maryland
Reviewed April 28, 2011

The hotel provides a complimentary shuttle van, and there is also a free Charlottesville trolley with stops very close to the hotel. The rooms were clean and the decor in the rooms and throughout were very impressive. The hotel is located near the train tracks, and trains go by frequently but slowly to not be much of a nuisance. We had a view of an old warehouse, but beyond that in our view were mountains. I believe the primary mountain in view was the one just above Jefferson's Monticello (the one you see when looking out from Mulberry Row.). It was a beautiful site in the sunlight and when the thunderclouds and lightning rolled in. Reminds me of Psalms 19. Read it if you're not familiar with it. Also, the hotel gives a discount for those staying there to receive medical attention from the University of Virginia. Don't forget to show your hospital verification to get your discount. I originally had AAA rate, but the hospital rate was much better.

Our stay included a buffet hot breakfast; not those "starch you up to go" continental breakfasts. My Dad always compares hotels to the Holiday Inn Express in Washington, NC where the breakfast is hot as well. First, morning he said the breakfast did not compare because he didn't see any meats and no cooler with milk cartons for your cereal. I later found that he just didn't see all that they offered (I couldn't eat breakfast that morning so I didn't go down) . The next morning, however, he was throwing down with cheese omelets and sausage patties. And, as I entered the breakfast area, he instructed me to "Get the waffles going." LOL!!! So, the breakfast had many items to choose from to please yound and old alike. I thanked the ladies working in the breakfast area for taking good care of us because they were very helpful, friendly, accommodating basically they made sure that everyone had and/or could find what they needed. If you even thought that you needed assistance, they were on it.

The staff at the front desk, in the breakfast area, and working in various other areas on the first floor were awesome! Everyone speaks to you with a smile. They all took pride in there jobs and that is becoming more of a rarety in the U.S. And, I have to say that we get what we put out too, so practice kindness whereever you go. You'll be surprised what it gets you.

Happy travels!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Show hospital verification; get better discount.
  • Stayed April 2011
3 Thank Travelitis_Afflicted
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed April 15, 2011

This Hampton Inn was in a great location near the UVA campus and an easy walk to the downtown district. Lots of good restaurants within a few minutes walk.
We stayed in a very roomy well appointed suite. The living space was huge with an apartment size kitchen and living room. The bedroom was a little tight with two double beds. The bedding was nice, but the beds were a little lumpy. The bathroom was huge with a separate sink area outside of the tub and camode. The sink area was also very well lit.
The public area was very nicely decorated in a style appropriate for the colonial area once home to Thomas Jefferson.
The breakfast had a good selection of hot and cold items, including self-made waffles.
The customer service was very friendly and excited to share their knowledge of the area.
Parking is free.
We stayed at the Omni Hotel on the walking mall downtown in April 2010 (see my review of the Omni for that experience). We were much happier with our stay at the Hampton Inn in 2011. Our trip to Charlottesville is an annual event and we will be staying at the Hampton Inn in 2012!

Room Tip: We could have stayed for a week in our suite!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jayhawkinva
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed April 4, 2011

My boyfriend and I took a spur of the moment overnight trip to Charlottesville to enjoy the Pedestrian Mall and tour the University campus. We spent the night here at the Hampton Inn and Suites. Check in was swift and the staff were very courteous. Our room was very modern and updated with a nice flat screen TV, and granite countertops in the bathroom. Our room also had a microfridge and microwave which was very convenient. The coffee maker was in the bathroom, which I thought was kind of strange but it wasn't really an issue, just different. My only issue with the room was the mattress and that is only because I prefer a softer mattress (my bed at home has a featherbed on it). The mattress was very firm, much firmer than I'm used to so that effected my rest some but other than that the room was great. It's also very close to many amenities, including the university and some nearby cute little shops and restaurants. It's a bit of a walk to the Pedestrian Mall though, so if you're not up for walking about a mile, I would just utilize the parking garages they have available. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed March 24, 2011

This hotel is located wonderfully near to everything you might want to do in Charlottesville. It is two blocks from the train station, three or four blocks from the University, about a mile to the downtown mall. Public transit options are excellent. There are good restaurants and bars on the Corner - across from the University or downtown. The hotel itself is modern, well maintained and very clean. The free breakfast is very good. The staff was friendly and responsive.

I did have a problem when the door to the fitness room would not open after 6AM as advertised, but a staff member was quick to open it for me. The fitness room is small but had everything I needed - elliptical, treadmill, recumbent exercise bike, towels and water.

My room was comfortable and I slept as well as I ever do in a hotel bed. The easy chair with footrest was just the place to rest at the end of a busy day and before a busy evening. But the rug and the pattern on the easy chair were garish and clashed. My real problem with the room was that there was no closet, not even a coat rack. I had business clothes that I needed to unpack to make sure they wouldn't wrinkle, and the only place I could put them was on the back of the desk chair. The sign said that they were renovating - I can only hope that my room was an example of the "before" image.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Wow what pleasant surprise. This hotel was everything we had expected and more.
They had just finished a renovation and it is beautiful and so inviting. Very spacious suites with all the conveniences of home. I could have moved in. I actually was sad when it was time to check out and leave this hotel! I will be back to this hotel for sure.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple