“Horrible service! So disappointing!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlottesville North
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Austin, Texas
“Horrible service! So disappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We checked in for one night as two Elite guests and what we received in return was the worse service in memory, from any hotel we've stayed in. At the time we walked in, around 5 pm, the front desk female attendant was having dinner or snack on a table close by by herself, stood up, did not say one word, perhaps because her mouth was still full, did not even look at us in the eyes, walked around behind the counter to take custody of our credit card, still not saying one word, checked us in, declined to offer an upgrade room, and quickly returned to her meals. All happened very quickly and methodically!
A few minutes later, we asked the same and only attendant to help with some internet connection issues, to which she answered quite rudely that she doesn't know! We then asked for an access code for complimentary access (to all Elite guests), to which she answered she doesn't have it! The whole time, everything was happening with almost no eyes contact and very little verbal communication! As a result, and face with such an unwelcoming, if not hostile attitude, we walked back to our room - frustrated and dumbfound! Too bad that Marriott ends up with some employees who hate their jobs, or worse, who hate their hotel guests, and too bad for us, who had to put up with such an unwelcoming and unpleasant reception!
Staff issue aside, the room is relatively clean and quiet (quiet, since we ended up getting used to the noisy in-room A/C unit that is typical of a Fairfield Inn room). The location is also great, a few minutes away from UVA campus, with easy access in and out, and plenty of parking spaces. Breakfast is also just fine. Too bad that, for us, maybe just one bad apple was enough to kind of ruin our brief visit to Charlottesville! We will not stay again at this Fairfield Inn, though.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlottesville North, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear thehiep,

Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your stay at our Fairfield Inn & Suites - providing excellent service is our priority and I deeply apologize that our staff did not act in an acceptable manner during your visit. We would like to make this right, so please give me a call at the number below and I will be happy to speak with you further. Our team will discuss your feedback and use this as an opportunity to improve in the future. Otherwise, we are happy you found us clean and well-located and hope you will give us another chance in the future to provide the level of service you, and all of our guests, expect and deserve.

(434) 822-2161

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

The staff here were excellent at helping us navigate Charlottesville. The breakfast included hot items and very good coffee (the bold blend). The hotel is well located, but not easy to find using the map on the website. Our unintended tour of the UVA campus was fine.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlottesville North, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear rondi3,

We appreciate you reviewing our Fairfield Inn & Suites and are glad that we could help you get around Charlottesville while you were here, as well as that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. Thank you for your other feedback and we hope to see you for another stay soon!

Hamilton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We were looking for a place to spend the night and we could not find a Wyndham so we were willing to spend a little more to stop right away. The beds were a little uncomfortable and everything was just not quite right.The parking lot was not well lit and it was hard to see your way around. Though the breakfast attendant was pleasant enough, the scrambled eggs were overcooked and "blocky". The breakfast area was spacious and light. I would travel further to find a nicer place to stay next time.

Dear Janet F,

Thank you for your review and we apologize that your stay fell short of your expectations. Our team will discuss all of your feedback as we aim to improve in the future - if you'd like to discuss further, please give me a call at the number below. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to have another opportunity in the future to give you a great stay.

Gloucester, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I come once a year for fall leaves, apple picking and de-stressing. We stayed 2 nights. The hotel itself is pleasant, even if the beds are a little uncomfortable. The breakfast is average, but the young men who oversee the breakfast area were very pleasant, cheerful and helpful and would do anything to make the customers happy.
Now to the deal breaker. My husband and I were too much in a hurry to leave. The closet being faced into the bathroom area, we didn't notice our sweaters and jackets still hanging there as we walked out (all were hung wet the day before). The next morning it hit us, and both my husband and I called at different times, both Monday and Tuesday. I received a call Wednesday, saying they had searched since Sunday (really? we didn't discover they were missing until Monday), had questioned housekeeping, and the sweaters/jackets weren't there. Perhaps we had packed them in another bag? Sigh......
Bottom line, We were careless for leaving the items behind. But 4 items left hanging in a closet is an obvious goof to anybody and they should have been turned in. If I can't trust them to do that much, how am I going to trust them to leave our things alone while we're staying there? We won't be back.
I'm rating the service with 2 bubbles, would have been none due to the missing clothing, but the guys at breakfast really were great.

1 Thank Kathy D
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlottesville North, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Kathy D,

Thanks for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay. While I'm glad you found us so clean, I do apologize that we weren't able to resolve the situation to your satisfaction and our team will further investigate to see what else we can do. I would be happy to discuss your visit more in-depth if you reach out to me at the number below. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have another opportunity in the future to give you a great stay.

Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Sorry to say this hotel was not the best I have stayed in. The bed was saggy and uncomfortable. The elevator was dirty with litter on the floor. It was quite evident it had not been vacuumed for a while. A friend of mine used to say " you take care if the corners and the middle will take care of itself." Someone needs to take care of the corners. The staff was very nice and friendly. For a Fairfield, I was very disappointed. This place had been rode hard and put away wet.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlottesville North, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear visamastermichigan,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we sincerely apologize that your visit fell short of your expectations. Providing a clean stay is indeed a large priority and our team will discuss your feedback in order to improve for the future. Otherwise, we are glad to read you found our staff very friendly and helpful and hope you will keep us in mind the next time you're in Charlottesville so we can show off our improvements. If you would like to discuss further, please give me a call at the number below; thanks again for your feedback.

Clinton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here two nights, and were very pleased with the location and quality of the rooms and property. The breaksast was also very good, with hot sausage and eggs available.

My only complaint was the $50 fee for our small dog...that seems a little excessive.

1 Thank Sean M
Dear Sean M,

We appreciate you reviewing our hotel and are happy to read you had a very comfortable stay and enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. We're indeed pet friendly and will discuss your feedback as we aim to improve in the future (and apologize for any inconvenience). Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you for another stay soon!

Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Fairfield was fine, not exceptional. It has all the basics that you'd expect, and was clean. The location in the Food Lion parking lot was nothing to speak of. I had made reservations several months in advance for one night. A month before my stay, my plans changed such that I'd be there two nights. I tried to change the reservations online almost daily and the results came back either with no rooms available, or with none at my rate. I asked upon check-in, but while rooms were available, they would not sell one to me at the rate I had. I ended up staying with a friend the second night, as the rate was just too high for what the hotel was. I am surprised that Marriott would prefer to have a room unsold.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlottesville North, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear DelRayKate1,

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I'm glad to read you found us clean and that we provided a good array of amenities, but do apologize for the lack of availability for a second night and will pass your feedback onto our team for discussion. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at the number below if you would like to discuss your visit further. Thank you again for your comments and we hope you'll give us another opportunity on your next visit to Charlottesville.