“Top notch property -- Marriott consistency”

Residence Inn Charlottesville
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Baltimore, Maryland
“Top notch property -- Marriott consistency”
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I stayed one night here in September 2009, and I wished I could have stayed longer. From the check-in to the check-out, I saw nothing but top-notch service. For my future trips to Charlottesville, I will be striving to stay at this Residence Inn.

The hotel is somewhat tucked away on a less-traveled road so get good directions or have a good GPS unit to guide you. That's good on one level though, as it's a quiet location with limited traffic on the road in front. Across the street is the back of a large shopping area with several restaurants, a grocery store, and various other stores including a great backpacking/hiking store. Having the grocery store within walking distance is fantastic.

Check-in was smooth, and this was one of the first times that I left sincerely recognized as a Rewards member (I'm a Gold at this point). There was a manager's reception that night which saved me from having to buy dinner, and the breakfast in the morning was great -- far better than most other free breakfasts out there. Check-out went just as well as getting in.

The room itself was a two-room suite. Though on the ground level, it was quiet, and it met the standards of previous Residence Inns at which I've stayed, which is to say that it was great. I'm a big fan of this chain, and I've never been disappointed in staying at one. The bed was very comfortable, and the rest of the furniture was in good shape and comfortable as well. Internet access was fast and easy to use (no constant pop-ups or endless sign-in screens). I didn't use the TV, but I did notice that it was an old-style CRT, not a newer LCD or plasma. Get with the program, Marriott! With smaller flat panel TVs around $500, there's little reason that these nice hotels need to be saddled with old, power-hungry TVs.

All in all, I was very pleased with the Residence Inn, and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 28, 2009

In business, I believe impressions/responsibility/accountablity start at the top. At his property it both starts at the top and bottom. In my more than 25 years of travelling, I can hardly recall a more negative experience ANYWHERE. This is perhaps the first example of sharing my experiences on tripadvisor, all in the effort to benefit my fellow travelers, who have steared me in the right direction so many times in the past.

It started at the bottom, as I walked into the property with my luggage upon check-in, with the treadbaren & shabby carpets throughtout the hotel. At the top end, both the manager and assistant manager were not responsive as they gave lip service to my comments/complaints, and in fact were ultimately insulting to me and my wife.

My wife encountered dirty dishes and utensils in the drawers and had to hand wash enough dishes for dinner tour first night, while she put all the remaining dishes, utensils and stemware into the dishwasher. In addition, the coffee pot, microwave and breakfast table were all dirty. When we sat down in the living room for dinner, the TV was not fully functional. Additionally, the carpet had not been vacuumed and the bathroom sink drain was extremely slow. Is this a Marriott property?????

The next morning upon check-in, I presented representative examples of the dirty plates and cooking utensils to the front desk. Later, Mr. Kico Hedrick, the Assistant General Manager, apologized for the poor condition of the room and dishes. He explained that with his good staff, something unusual must have occurred. He assured me he would rectify the problems that day. Six days later, and after spealing with Sara Bishop, the General Manager, things were still not resolved. I truly expect that condiments, coffee, and dishwasher powder will be replaced during my stay at Residence Inn, but, apparently NOT at this location. I also expected that soap and shampoo would be replenished, but again a surprise. The attitude of the manager was quite simply APPALLING.

I unfortunately feel the need to share this info, so that readers are well informed prior to committing to stay here. I am a life-long supporter of Marriott, yet this might be the SOLE exception!! I know this unfortunate set of experiences is a rarity at Marriott. Be forewarned!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Lawrence C
Springfield OH
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My husband and I always use Priceline to book our hotels. To be honest, I was a little concerned when the highest star rating for hotels in Charlottesville was 3 stars - but I was pleasantly surprised by the value we received at the Residence Inn! For only $60 a night, the Residence Inn was incredibly spacious, clean, had nice bedding, and had a GREAT continental breakfast. The rooms were quiet - we didn't hear any noise at all (top floor room) and the rooms had free high-speed internet service.

When we checked in, we were greeted by THE most helpful gentleman (Ciko) who asked us what we planned to see during our visit. He then gave us detailed driving directions (made notes on a map) to all our destinations and gave great suggestions of other things to see. Even at luxury hotels I haven't received such great service!

Our stay at the Residence Inn was a pleasure and VERY affordable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 12, 2009

We needed to travel to Charlottesville for a wedding and my son and his wife have a dog. She was pregnant as well. Most hotels that allow dogs are places people wouldn't want to stay, unless you want to spend a lot of money. And yes, they usualIy smell like dog. I loved this hotel. We got a great AARP rate. I am very picky, as my family will attest, but I did not smell any smells. I requested down pillows and slept like a baby during my entire stay. I didn't hear noises from the other rooms, not even shower noises. It had everything I want in a hotel. Free internet, hot full breakfast, coffee and juice all day. Apples all day. Great water pressure. We were in a two bedroom suite and it was so comfortable with two couples and a dog. We had privacy and convenience. There is a great dog area. It is a short walk , on a side street, to a great mall, restaurants and grocery stores. The room was clean when we got there and we did not require housekeeping for our three night stay, because we didn't want the dog disturbed. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I loved the free printer, which allowed us to print out our boarding passes. We had a fireplace, full kitchen, comfortable sofa and beds. The fitness equipment is top shelf. We didn't stay long enough to use the pool, but it looked inviting.The fridge had an ice maker, which was very convenient. There are only two negatives. I could not get free toothbrushes at the front desk, like at some hotels and the TV's (all three) were old and not flat screen. Relatives stayed at the Omni and they thought the buffet breakfast and our room were nicer. They also liked our location and said they would stay at the Marriott Residence Inn next time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 15, 2008

I went to Charlottesville for a week-long business trip and brought my spouse and dog along. I love the fact that the Residence Inn (RI) is pet-friendly. They front desk even gave us a magnet that said "Pet in Room" to let housekeeping know not to disturb our pooch!

The location of the RI is very good. It is just off Rte 29 and about a 5-minute walk to the Barracks Row Shopping Center, which has two grocery stores and a wide array of shops. It is also right next door to one of UVa's tracks and tennis courts, so if you want to get a run in or you even want to have a nice and safe route to walk your dog, the track is well-lit and right there. In addition to the track to walk your dog, the RI had a very spacious dog-run area equipped with doggy doo-doo bags and waste bins placed throughout the dog-run in case you forgot to bring the bags with you on your trip!

We stayed in a one-bedroom suite which was very nice. It came with a fully-equipped kitchen with dining table in addition to a work-station. The living room area with the TV and couch was also very nice and spacious. What I like most was the fact that the bedroom was in a completely different room so when my husband wanted to watch TV at night in the living room, I could just close the bedroom door and the light and noise would not disturb me.

The rest of the facilities in the hotel were nice as well. The breakfast area was ample and there was always a varied selection of breakfast food throughout the week. The evening reception's food tended to run out quickly, so if you're hoping to get a free dinner in the evening, show up right at 5:30 or else you might walk away empty-handed! The fitness center was also adequate--there were two treadmills, an elliptical trainer, and a recumbent bike (all of them had built-in TVs, but bring your own headphones or else you'll have to pay for the ones the front desk is selling). Unfortunately there were no weights, but oh well.

I also appreciated the professionalism and service of the entire hotel crew. Whenever I saw the manager, he would ask if I was enjoying my stay and if there was anything I needed. The front desk personnel and the maintenance crew were always very nice and greeted me warmly when I came in from a busy day of work, and the servers at the meal area always had a smile on their faces.

I would not hesitate to stay at this RI again. It is an excellent value for your money and nice base for exploring everything in C-Ville.

• Liked — Location and Amenities for Business Traveller
  • Disliked — Only one computer and printer in "business center"
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I had looked at some of the other mixed reviews for this place prior to booking, but was glad that I didn't pay attention to the bellyachers. This hotel was an excellent stay. Having gone to school in the area, I know that some of the places can run a little high for central Virginia standards. That being said, this hotel was totally worth the $135/night that I ended up spending.
My man and I had a small room (maybe 450 sq. ft.) with a bed, pull-out sofa, TV w/ cable, kitchenette and full bath. A friend of mine staying a few floors up with her friends had rented a two bedroom suite that looked more like a condo or apartment. It had a full kitchen, dining area, two private bedrooms and a common room. The breakfasts were delicious. There were plenty of choices: bagels, croisants, french toast, chipped beef gravy, bisquits, sausage, belgian waffles, yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, granola, etc. The hotel has a nice, small pool that I saw a few residents making use of. The free internet came in handy on our trip also. In addition, the lighting around the property was excellent and having key-only access and a person at the main desk all night helped me feel safe even on the ground floor.
This hotel is a terrific place for anyone looking to stay in the Charlottesville area close to UVA and the Stadium. It's right behind the Barracks road shopping center, which means that there are plenty of restaurant/food choices available. There's also Charlottesville and UVA busstops nearby for those not willing to drive or walk themselves.

• Liked — Sinks were located outside of bathroom in a seperate dressing area...very nice for getting ready with multiple tenants....plus--digital thermostat to regulate your own room temp.
  • Disliked — Outside lighting was a bit bright, though curtains were thick enough to block most of the light.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Some of the reviews of this place worried me a little but I found a great rate so I went ahead and booked it for a 2-night stay. I did not notice any strange smells in the hotel. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean and of about the same quality as the other Resident Inns at which I have stayed.

I also found the location to be pretty convenient.

Stayed May 2008