“This tour is enough to make you want to go back to college!”

University of Virginia Rotunda Tour
Ranked #20 of 26 Tours in Charlottesville
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Our student guide was wonderful. A third-year student at UVA from Athens, GA, you could tell she enjoyed sharing with us her historic school. She was well-spoken and funny - we enjoyed our tour tremendously. The Jefferson statue going into the fireplace as college men tried to rescue it was told with such wry humor - it was almost as though she'd been there. We had had several retired folks (mostly retired military) doing our tours at different sights during this trip, and it was quite interesting to see things through this young woman's eyes. Jefferson was a visionary whose ideas of education still ring true today. It was fun and awe-inspiring all at the same time.

5  Thank StaciMcFlo

Reviewed April 3, 2011

This is definitely worth seeing even if it's just a self guided tour which is what I did though I had a knowledgable UVA student with me. There are functioning dorm rooms at the Rotunda and the elegant beauty of the area is enough to make me want to enroll and request that special housing.

1  Thank RoadTrippr22
Reviewed September 11, 2010

The self-guided walking tour includes beautiful gardens with serpentine walls, the Chapel and Edgar Allen Poe's room, too. Very beautiful walk.

2  Thank elisech
Reviewed November 16, 2008

On a tip from the Monticello house tour guide, we ventured the five miles over to the University of Virginia to see the Rotunda and were stunned by the beauty of the building and the campus.

We actually took the self guided Rotunda tour instead of waiting for a guided tour. The Rotunda is open from 9:00-4:45 and there are guided tours five times a day. Another option is to pick up a brochure and read through it while touring the building. Either option is free and well worth the time.

Jefferson designed the original Rotunda building, which burned to the ground in the late 1800's. The building was a rebuilt in a similar style but does have a few differences than the original.

Not to be missed is the climb to two floors above the basement entrance to the dome room. There is an absolutely gorgeous skylight and the room is modeled after the Panteheon. A great architectual detail are the bookshelves that encircle the room but are not noticeable from the center of the room.

After you see the Rotunda, take time to walk around the rest of the campus. The central lawn area facing the Rotunda is fascinating with the unique columned Academical Village. Besides that, there are many other beautiful buildings all over the campus.

The best bet for public parking is the Central garage located beneath the bookstore on Emmett St. between McCormick and University. It is a short five minute walk from the garage to the Rotunda and the parking fees are not outrageous. I recommend visiting the University of Viriginia website and printing out a campus map before visiting.

12  Thank Jason P
Reviewed September 21, 2008

Unlike the previous reviewer we had a great tour guide. I guess there is no guarantee on who you will get for a tour guide but it is worth it to take a chance. I fell upon the tour by accident. My son attends the University of Virginia and we live less than an hour away. My parents came to visit so we took the drive to Charlottesvile to visit their grandson but like many 1st year college students he barely had time to have lunch. So with time on our hands, we walked around campus to see the beautiful buildings and stumbled upon the tour. The Thomas Jefferson history was very interesting and I learned things that I did not know even though my son attends the college. It was a free tour and a great way to spend the afternoon. We parked in the parking garage on campus but it was quite a walk. It may be easier to park at "The Corner" parking garage but you need to have a little patience as that is a busy area with cars and college kids!

3  Thank beauty4all2see