Review Highlights
Handicapped access at Monticello is good

Reviewed yesterday

from $59.00
from $59.00
from $79.00
6,112 results
All reviews house tour behind the scenes thomas jefferson shuttle bus visitor center slavery tour jefferson's life first floor regular tour grave site family tour jefferson family slave quarters gift shop dome room american history vegetable garden
Reviewed yesterday

I have visited Monticello several times, most recently last week with my mother who uses a wheelchair. Wheelchair visitors will have a very positive experience.

1.) The parking lot is a little confusing due to slopes and landscaping. You can drop off a handicapped visitor around the circle between the gift shop and ticket office, then park. Or you can park in the handicapped spaces sort of behind the visitor center and down a slope, then go into the family education center to ride the elevator one floor up.
2.) The tickets office, introductory film, cafe, gift shop, and displays are all very handicapped accessible, wide, spacious and connected via a pleasant patio and fountain area. The bathrooms here are more accessible and spacious than up by the house, and include a family bathroom.

3.) To catch the shuttle bus, let one of the staff know 5ish minutes in advance that you'd like them to request a handicapped bus, then take the elevator through the educational displays to the bus stop. My impression is there are a number of shuttles, several of which are handicapped accessible, and they rotate all of them for all guests. You might get a handicapped one by chance, but can save everyone time if you request one a few minutes before you go up.
4.) Let the driver help you with the handicapped lift and getting the wheelchair locked into the bus. They know what they are doing.

5.) The house tour is wheelchair accessible. Some guides talk for a while on the steps of the house, which you will be able to hear and see pretty easily from the bottom of the 6ish steps. Year-round, most tour groups are pretty full (20 people) so you will not feel isolated at the bottom of the steps since the whole group will be spread down the stairs.
6) To enter the house, you will go in a side handicapped entrance, through a short hallway that is also the group exit, and into the entrance hall that is the start of the tour. Very easy, takes 40 seconds, and there will probably be staff to help.
7.) The turn into the first room after the lobby (Jefferson's daughter's study) is a little tight, but doable. All the other turns are easier.
8.) Our tour did not go into the ground floor guest room because furniture was being stored there the glass "breakfast nook" was being renovated. That room is a little small but should also be accessible.

9.) The tour will usually end outside on the wooden terrace at the side of the house. Ask your guide how to access the passageway, displays, remainder of the lobby wall clock, etc. that is under the terrace. It's easy, but better pointed out than described.
10.) The passageway, kitchen, wine storage, Sally Hemmings' room, etc. are all easily accessible.
11.) The grounds are largely crushed gravel and fairly flat. We went on the slavery tour, which varies a lot by guide. Our guide took us to just two locations and gave a lot of information in each of those places, so that was easy in the wheelchair.

12.) Mulberry Row ( a row of the foundations of slave quarters and workshops) slopes slowly downhill. It may get harder to push the wheelchair towards the end of Mulberry Row.
13.) Jefferson's Grave is definitely further downhill. It's a nice walk from Monticello to there, and you can pick up most of the shuttles at the gravesite to return to the visitor center. But it might be a bit too downhill to easily control the wheelchair. Not sure since I have only done that without the wheelchair.

14.) Monticello offers a Grounds and Garden tour which we did not take. I have never taken that tour so cannot guess at the accessibility.
15.) Monticello also offers a regular Behind the Scenes tour that goes upstairs and downstairs in Monticello. That tour is almost double the price and is not handicapped accessible. I knew that this tour was offered a few times a year, but now it is offered once or twice per day.

My mother had a great experience at Monticello and staff went out of their way to help her. They also have wheelchairs on site at multiple locations if yours turns out to be too wide, or your walker ends up not working. THey have a very high level fo customer service, so ask for what you need and enjoy your visit.

Reviewed 2 days ago

Visited with my wife and had a guided tour of the entire residence. During our tour there was an ice storm, and the leadership decided to close the site. Marianne as our guide was VERY effective. Staff were very calm as they gathered all the visitors and got us back to the visitor center. Well worth spending an entire day at the site.

Reviewed 4 days ago

Second time I've toured Monticello. Jefferson was remarkable and what they have done with the property is wonderful. The first time we were wowed by the Jefferson's creativity and the extent of his interests. The second time we saw some of that, but it faded into the background as we were harangued in every room about slavery. Yes it was a horrible practice, and like 100% of major landowners of the time and place Jefferson was a slave holder. Unlike most of them he had second thoughts, but to focus on that topic (which no doubt should have received serious coverage) at the cost of missing out on some of Jefferson's amazing accomplishments - big mistake. Our guide was Colin. I hope he learns to balance things more appropriately in future. I won't be going back.

1  Thank caneme
Reviewed 4 days ago

This is one of the better historical sites. The tours are well done- I would recommend the "Behind the scenes" tour- a little bit more but well worth it. If you visit around lunch, be advised there is no cafe, only snacks. There is heavy emphasis on Sally Hemmings.

1  Thank stems22
Reviewed 4 days ago

There is an incredible amount of history here. The visit allows you to have a better understanding about how the man lived. HIS home is amazing and it is a delight to stroll the grounds and to develop a picture of how life was in those early days of our country. I came away with a desire to know more about the man and how he was an important part of our nation's founding. The basic tour was excellent with a very knowledgeable guide.

Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

If you love history, this is a must see site. The tour guides are extremely knowledgeable and give a unique perspective to the life and times of Jefferson.

We took the behind the scene tour and were glad we did. You get to see parts of the home that are not on the regular tour.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Whether you love history or want to learn more about Thomas Jefferson, visiting Monticello is an amazing way to experience history! I have been to Monticello three times and each tourguide I've had was exceptional and made the tour unique. By visiting Thomas Jefferson's home you're able to understand him more as a person.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Unfortunately the day we went the weather was absolutely miserable, rain,fog etc. I think the grounds would have been lovely if we could have seen them. We also did not have time to do all the tours, which we were interested in. Especially about slavery and his relationship with Sally Hemings. We took the behind the scene tour which was good. Our tour guide was lovely and knowledgeable BUT she was too soft spoken and it was hard to hear a lot of what she said. I would like to go back and give this another try.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I had very high expectations for this visit and unfortunately I was very let-down. The initial process is simple enough, you purchase tix at the ticket office and either walk a trail for less than 1 mile to the grounds or take a shuttle (the path to the grounds is uphill, so be prepared for a workout-much better coming back the other way). The tours are all timed to accommodate the amount of people, which is a great idea unless your tour doesn’t start for 3 hours. I didn’t know until after I’d already purchased my tix how long of a wait it would be. The gentleman at the ticket counter very quickly explained that we could walk the grounds until our time came. We boarded the shuttle and tried to kill time until the tour started. We spent 2 hours slowly meandering around the small grounds in order to kill time but it just wasn’t enough. We decided to forgo the tour and head back. The grounds weren’t too impressive and Monticello, while beautiful from an architecture standpoint, was simply underwhelming.
I doubt we will return, especially considering the high price of the tour.

Reviewed 1 week ago

I first visited this house about 18 years ago. They have upgraded the parking and entrance for the site which is very nice. The regular tour is only the main floor but the tour started on time and we had a great tour guide. There is lots of self-guided displays and volunteers in the gardens to answer questions. We walked back to the visitor centre instead of taking the bus which was nice. It is such a lovely spot. Really it ia a must see.

1  Thank Stephanie M