“well-curated main house with plenty to offer on the grounds”

Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
More attraction details
Owner description: Monticello and its many historical rooms, gadgets, furniture, buildings, and artifacts tell us a lot about Thomas Jefferson, the president who built it and lived there.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My partner and I visited Monticello recently, and overall, we felt that it was a well-curated house and museum with lots to do.

Of course, there is the tour of the main house, and all the rooms have furniture like from Jefferson's day. Fortunately, you can go into or see most rooms. The tour itself was a bit cramped considering at any given time there was a different tour group in every different room, but that is to be expected with such a well-known presidential house.

The grounds themselves also have a lot to offer. There are blacksmithing buildings and different houses within the plantation that let you feel like you are in Jefferson's time. I felt that aspect of the Monticello experience was rather insightful.

Overall, I would definitely recommend a visit to Monticello, as there is a lot to do to fill up the whole afternoon, and the house and grounds are beautiful themselves.

Note: There is also half-off for military members and their family members!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Had a great visit here. Parking was ample. Staff - paid and volunteer - were superb, helpful and very informative. Guided tour was informative and a great trip back in time. Gift shop was quite tasteful as was the film and museum exhibits.

Worth going out of the way for

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Thomas Jefferson was pure genius and the way they have maintained Monticello and the tours they give are homage to his brilliance. I am not the historian in the family, my husband loves these tours, but I found this equally fascinating. Not to be missed

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Every American should experience at least one visit to Monticello. It is a history lesson as you tour the house and grounds. It meant much more to me this time as an adult versus when I last visited as a teen. You learn many truths about Jefferson the man that you do not normally read in history books.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is a unique house built by a unique man and it is well worth a long trip to see it. The visitor centre is very attractive, set in a courtyard well down the hill from the house itself. Once on top of the hill, the views are stunning and the house and gardens are fascinating, not only as a visual experience, but they reflect so closely what Jefferson was trying to achieve.

I don't really like guided tours. They are as much for managing visitors as they are from giving information, but in this house, being so small, one can see why it is necessary. On the other hand, the visitor does feel rushed: in each room, the guide gave her speech and then moved on immediately, so that one felt obliged to look at her and not at the stuff. Indeed, I didn't feel I had a chance to look at anything very closely as the staff was very keen to bump us into the next room as soon as possible. I managed to get a glance at the polygraph only by lingering behind like a naughty schoolboy. Moreover, we were not told anything that was not available in the enormous available literature.

I am not sure what the answer to this is. Clearly, one can't have people just wandering about willy-nilly - there is not enough space, and neither can huge numbers of visitors be accommodated unless some control is exercised over the movement of people through the house. In addition, I would say that in my group, most people were happy to stand in front of the guide and do as they were told: but for me, there is just too much of interest to see, and I would rather not have someone talking at me while I am trying to explore what is there.

1  Thank James O