“Amazing Place, You will want to go again” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello

Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
More attraction details
Owner description: Monticello and its many historical rooms, gadgets, furniture, buildings, and artifacts tell us a lot about Thomas Jefferson, the president who built it and lived there.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Glen Allen, Virginia
182 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 199 helpful votes
“Amazing Place, You will want to go again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my 3rd visit and all at different times of the year. There is plenty of free parking at the attraction. Upon getting your timed entry ticket make sure you have enough time to see the movie in the visitors area before getting the free shuttle to the house and gardens. The film is about 20 mins but gives you a good insight into the man himself. Also on this level there is a very good cafe with a wider choice and reasonable prices and the store. The store is quite large with some excellent choices - the strawberry butter is divine.
Once you get the shuttle to the house you have a timed ticket. The house is amazing. This time we went during the snow and it was just a small tour group so I felt we had more of the guides knowledge and got more insight into some of the artefacts. She really knew her stuff.
Underneath the house you can see the stables, kitchens, accommodations for the slaves etc.
There is, during certain times of the year a guided tour of Mulberry Row, where the slaves lived and worked. There is also a small store here with a deck at the back with the most stunning views. In better weather you can walk the row, the vegetable gardens and on to the grave site. There is a forest trail back to the visitor center. In this weather the shuttle will drop you there on the way back to the visitor center and you can just get back on the next one having seen the graveyard.

2 Thank galaxy148

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Try to visit on a nice day outside peak travel season”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Must admit to disappointment with the Monticello experience. The flow and organization for the large crowds was not handled as well as at many historical sites. The tour felt overcrowded and rushed, with very few details provided as the guide seemed pressured to move the group through a few main floor rooms as quickly as possible. I agree with other reviewers that an audio tour of the lower level buildings would be a welcome addition. The garden tour was ok. The grounds and views are so wonderful that the highlight of our visit was walking back down the hill to the visitor center on a gorgeous day. We were pleased to discover that Monticello is much closer to the highway and Charlottesville than we expected.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank TravelerTrish73
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The Tour Guide made it REAL....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I visited Monticello last weekend, and were very pleased. We arrived to a no hassle check and ticketing and were politely addressed and informed of what we would experience. The house tour began with a very animated tour guide and I'm very sorry to say I do not recall his name. He made history come alive and really made us understand the times of Thomas Jefferson. The museum was well done and the movie, although we did not have time to watch, I understand was very well done. The only mistake we made was going when it was 20 degree wind chill and not wear heavy enough coats. It's on the mountain, so please go dressed warm in the cooler days. My stupidity affected my own personal experience.

I also believe I will one day return to see the gardens in the spring/summer. I very much look forward to it. (and I secretely hope I get the same tour guide, really good!)

Perth, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Presidential accommodation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Fabulous place to visit. Well worth the cost. Great house and fantastic grounds. Very interesting for all ages. Tied this visit in with visits to Ash Lawn Highland and Michie Tavern. Combined ticket very good value. So much to see and do that one visit is not enough.

2 Thank Iain G
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Phenomenal Attraction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you have any interest in Jefferson and/or the period of the American Revolution, this is a must. If not, it is still a remarkable property. The house is extraordinary in itself, but you can spend the entire day just hiking around the property and the adjoining trails. Also has the finest gift shop you're likely to encounter at a historic site, and the cafe serves great meals with lots of fresh, local healthy options. The house tours tend to get rushed on busy days, so i recommend going during a weekday and off time.

Visited July 2012