“Lovely Stay- if Short- at Antique Filled Historic Inn”

The Inn at Court Square
Reviewed September 19, 2012

June 29th 2012 we experienced a Derecho in Central Virginia- which knocked out power for over a week. Hotels in a 50 mile radius were booked solid. I did manage to get a reservation at the Inn at Court Square- a charming bed and breakfast in downtown Charlottesville. I had been there for lunch once, or I don't think I would know it was there. That is shame, because it is a jewel in a town of historic gems. We had a suite which was decorated in a fishing/farming theme in honor of the owner's mother. I spent nearly as much time staring at the lovely things as I did using my computer or watching TV that evening. The bathroom was delightful- large tub, shower, and wonderful bath items, and big fluffy towels. The staff is warm and friendly. It is expensive- but you get what you pay for. However- since our powere was going to be out for some time, I spent time making other arrangements during our delightful stay. If I was on vacation- I would budget to stay here. It is THAT nice. My husband and I dined in the small restaurant for dinner and we were attended by both wait staff and the chef. It is a small menu- but 4 star in preparation and service. It was a soothing way to enter the week of no power and the logistics required to keep working and juggling family needs away from home. I hope to be back soon- it is a wonderful escape!

Room Tip: Ask about the theme of the room and choose one that fits you best. : ) Also ask for your complimenta...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kcutshaw

Reviewed September 5, 2012

My GF and I stayed the Labor Day weekend here to be able to walk to dinner and attractions, and it was an excellent choice. We had the Butler room that faces out over the square, and it was spacious room with a sitting area, four-post bed, and large bathroom featuring a two-person jacuzzi, stall shower. Beautiful antique furnishings. The owner Candace provided restaurant advice and guidance on local vineyards based on her experience buying for the Inn's restaurant. The staff were all pleasant and committed to making our stay comfortable, such as making a fresh pot of coffee when we came down after breakfast was over. The breakfast featured granola/fruit/yogurt plus a hot entree - quiche or bread pudding. The quiche (ham or roast pepper) had a light custard and fresh ingredients. The Inn's location, with a short walk to all of old town's attractions, was a definite plus and it has off-street parking. I have stayed in similar four star plus area inns/hotels, and the Inn at Court Square is the best combination of location, comfort, and staff in C-ville.

Room Tip: The Butler room was sunny with no traffic noise over Labor Day weekend. Plenty of room to spread ou...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Medve99
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed here with my girlfriend the night I proposed to her. I credit the staff at the Inn at Court Square for helping me with my proposal! Not only did they stock the room with champagne for us upon arrival, but they even upgraded us at no extra cost to a bigger room to celebrate our big day. My bride to be and I will be forever grateful to the staff for such a nice gesture and will return for many years to come with fond memories. Great place, great people.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CroftGlobalTravel
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Had a great time in Charlottesville at The Inn at Court Square. Was our first experience with a bed and breakfast and we thoroughly enjoyed it! Loved the history and charm of the town and The Inn. The staff at The Inn were all wonderful and the food was delicious. The rooms are comfortable and decorated with beautiful antiques. Perfect for singles, couples and families. We were able to walk to the pedestrian mall, restaurants, and the University. Would highly recommend staying here on your next visit to Charlottesville.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emptynesters827
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We arrived in Charlottesville without a reservation and were lucky to find this wonderful inn downtown. It's an easy walk to the pedestrian mall where there are lots of restaurants and cute shops. It was brutally hot, and there had been a storm the previous night, so unfortunately many were closed while we were there. But Candace was terrific, and gave us outstanding advice on restaurants, etc. The room was lovely, the bed very comfortable. We enjoyed sitting in the front room with our complimentary wine reading the Washington Post. And the breakfast was outstanding! Home made scones, quiche, etc. Lovely fresh berries. This was a great find, and the price was more attractive than many B&Bs!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Decided to stay here the night of the Bonnie Raitt concert since we could not get a room at the Doubletree and wanted to be in walking distance of show and enjoy all the restaurants and bars. We did the right thing and you should too! We originally had the affordable John Kelly Room, but upon our arrival, were upgraded to the Stonewall Jackson room overlooking Court Square!
The a complimentary glass of wine came to the room next and a good soak in the jaquzzi tub and shower before the dinner and the show! We received excellent recommendations for dinner and the late night scene.
The room was very well appointed and ambiance perfect for the 18th century building...and the AC worked great! Breakfast was quiche, scones, fruit and yogurt and beverages. Coffee and a smoke on the front patio overlooking the Square topped it off!! Can't promise the good fortune we had with the free room upgrade, but Candance and her team are fantastic and will definately be back for another stay when the next great show comes to the Pavillion!

Room Tip: John Kelly room is great value, but the other rooms upstairs are SWEET!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Loved staying at this inn. The innkeepers were all terrific and very friendly. Rooms were beautiful with outstanding decor and furnishings. Breakfast was good and the common areas and outdoor area for coffee on court square was really lovely after a days hiking.
The only thing that stopped me giving an Excellent rating was the shower in the room which was a little weak but don't let that put you off - we would definitely stay here again when we come back for more Shenandoah hiking.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple