“Disappointing in almost every respect”
Review of The Horse & Hound Gastropub - CLOSED

The Horse & Hound Gastropub
Cuisines: American, British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 7th Street NW
Transit: The Charlottesville Trolley stops just across the street from us. We are also across the street from the Amtrak Station and a few blocks away from the Greyhound Bus station.
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We went for brunch early on a Sunday afternoon with a local resident who made the choice of restaurant. While our waitress was perky and informative, the service was slow and inattentive. They had run out of regular coffee and could only offer decaf. My wife's french toast was supposed to be flavored with Kahlua and Bailey's. She could detect neither one in her serving. Indeed, it had very little flavor. I had a cheeseburger that ranked slightly above those served by McDonald's. Our companion had the corned beef hash. She found it edible, but unexceptional. Perhaps we visited on a bad day, but once here was sufficient.

There are newer reviews for The Horse & Hound Gastropub

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We frequent the Gasropub for two major reasons: The beer selection is like no other in Charlottesville. If you like a great selection of German beers get in here! They can be a bit pricey but they are palate pleasing. And the food, the food. Don't let the prices fool you. The key word here is SPLIT! The proprietor is a well respected chef in Charlottesville and is known not only for the quality (everything we have had has been delicious) of the food but the QUANTITY. We recently had a turkey club sandwich that was plenty for two people. The same is true of the fish and chips. Al Fresco dining is availble in warm weather and there is entertainment some nights. A unique experience for food and drink.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I typically will avoid anyplace that calls itself a gastropub. And the hunting motif is overdone in Charlottesville. But I was part of a group and the place came well-recommended. Everyone seemed to like their food. I certainly did. I had shrimp and grits, which it seems every restaurant in Charlottesville now offers, but this was hands-down the best I've had. There was live music, and it was very good, but I'd prefer not to have it. I don't understand the need for live music in a restaurant. And they were playing in the dining room, not the bar. Made conversation more challenging. Prices were average.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Had dinner here on a recent visit to UVA. More expensive than other options but the food (most of it) was delicious. Server was not great - didn't seem comfortable being a waiter. Ordered the calamari appetizer which we did not like. However, all of our dinner meals were fantastic. I had the pan-seared salmon which was cooked perfectly and the sides were great. Nice and light. My husband loved the shrimp & grits and my daughter enjoyed her filet. My son's meal was the favorite though - the Sat night special of slow roasted ribs. He loved every finger-licking good taste of the barbecue sauce. A bit pricy for a regular restaurant but we'd go back for special occasions.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was the first time I had visited the restaurant. We like to visit Charlottesville and usually go to the same restaurants but decided to give this one a try. The atmosphere of the restaurant was good as was the beer selection. The salad that I had was amazing but the food is overpriced for what it is.