“Lights On But No One At Home”

Omni Charlottesville
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed August 25, 2007

When we pulled-up to the front door at 4 PM on a Saturday, nothing was stirring, Desk clerk told us that the rollaway for our son, requested through the hotel's website, was not available and "probably taken by a guest staying more than one night." When asked, the clerk said she had no idea how many rollaway beds are available at the Omni, but "there aren't any now." What looked like lomonade for arriving desks turned out to be water with a few lemons thrown in. I waited five minutes for glasses which were had been depleted. A pitiful doorman sauntered to open the door for me as I returned to my car, not asking if we had any baggage. Parking under the hotel has no attendant and is unsecured. Anyone can enter the hotel and proceed to the lobby. In one sense, there is some security, because the two elevators serving the guest rooms were mostly inoperable. One was open about three inches and wind whistled between the opening. For the other, we waited 15 minutes. When it arrived, it was packed with unhappy looking people. Over the next day, we saw people taking stairways to other floors to try catching the elevator or cursing because the stairwell doors were locked. In the room, (which was clean), magazines were worn and the mattresses were hard and sloped downward at both sides. We asked for a wake-up call at 8 a.m. Just before 8, we had awakened ourselves and canceled the call. At 8:20, we received a wake-up call anyway. At over $200 a night, this hotel is not inexpensive, but it is a poor excuse for a hotel. When we received our bill under the
door just before check-out -- you guessed it -- there was a $15 charge for the rollaway bed, not only unavailable but an un-
disclosed charge had there been one. We have two future nights booked in the Charlottesville Omni, which we will be
canceling.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank Vacance2006

Reviewed August 23, 2007

My husband and I went to Charlottesville to help move our daughter into an apartment for the upcoming school year at UVA. Upon arrival the front desk clerk was as professional and friendly as any we have ever encountered. The room was spacious and we were given complementary morning beverages delivered to our room every morning. Location is the best. There are lots of restaurants and shopping all within walking distance. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Charlottesville and we personally can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank muellerdm
Reviewed July 20, 2007

My husband and I rolled into Charlottesville late in the afternoon and the Omni was the first hotel we came to.

The agent at the front desk said there were few rooms left and all were $159. I got what may or may not have been a hospitality suite. The room was very spacious, clean and attractive. The bed was a king, and it and the pillows were incredibly comfortable. The bathroom was compact but clean and well appointed.

What the agent failed to mention was that the room was located directly adjacent to the fitness center on the second floor and right over the entrance to the hotel.

You can't imagine how loud the sound of someone running on a treadmill can be. Not a pleasant sound to wake up to at 6 a.m. on your holidays (the room opens at 5). Plus, the walls were paper thin. Someone was in the weight room until past 11 o'clock, listening to an iPod or something and rapping/yelling obscene lyrics along with it.

The hotels plays music over the entrance way, too. The bass was blasting away in our room until just before midnight. We called the front desk to complain; they were sympathetic and turned down the volume a little, but it was still irritating.

Then, at 12:30 am, someone pulled out a power drill and hammer and was doing maintenance work somewhere over my head! Again, we called to complain and the noise subsided.

I have to say that the front desk staff was very sympathetic. We explained everything that happened and they knocked the price down to $99.

The staff were all young university students--very mature, very professional. They gave great recommendations for dinner and great directions to all the nearby activities.

If I should ever happen to find myself in Charlottesville again, I wouldn't hesitate to try the Omni again. The room was beautiful and the location was great. I'd just stay away from room 233 like it was infected with the plague. In fact, I'd request a room on one of the upper floors.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MonaManuel
Reviewed May 29, 2007

A solid choice for anyone visiting Charlottesville. But ask yourself this question: Am I visiting Charlottesville or am I visiting the UVA area or Monticello? If the answer is Charlottesville then other reviewers on here are absolutely right: You won’t find a better choice than the Charlottesville Omni for visiting the city. You are right where you want to be if your travel plans include the beautiful downtown pedestrian mall. (Not sure what the other attractions are in downtown Charlottesville, my impression is that this was basically a one-trick college town with a fantastic pedestrian mall with unique shops and expensive restaurants.)

The Charlottesville Omni is located at the end of this pedestrian mall, in fact it’s a perfect location that suddenly winds up being quiet and away from the “excitement” of the pedestrian mall. The staff at this hotel, especially the concierge and front desk staff on over Memorial Day weekend were wonderful, especially Jenn (who my son just loved.) This was my first stay at an Omni chain in many years and I’d forgotten what a solid product they offer, on a par with full-service Marriott or Hiltons (which have both won my loyalty through generous frequent-stayer plans which is why I rarely considered the Omni chain.)

The Charlottesville Omni has two pools, indoor and outdoor, a workout room, a sauna and a great hot tub. My four-year-old LOVED the pool in fact this will probably be remembered as the pool in which he learned to swim! It is a very kid-friendly hotel with a wonderful amenity bag for children upon checking in. The business center offers free internet access and there is a wildly expensive coffee shop/amenity shop in the lobby. The hotel doesn’t have a bar and does not offer a casual dining option.

It was a busy “event” hotel with weddings there on both nights of our stay. I have no complaints about this hotel and would definitely stay here again if visiting Charlottesville. The view out of room (215) was nothing special, in fact it was pretty ugly but that’s what you get when you’re staying on the second floor and not facing into the atrium.

If Charlottesville is your destination then the Omni is where you want to be.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
11  Thank Frqflier
Reviewed April 19, 2007

We really enjoyed our recent stay at the Omni. The rooms were well appointed and the front desk staff went out of their way to accommodate our request for connecting rooms. The rooms were big enough for us as well as a crib with our baby. The only problem we had was that someone had smoked in our non-smoking room. Once we complained however, the front desk staff did everything they could to
resolve the problem - including offering to move us & after we said it would be ok, they sent up a fruit basket and cookies!

The hotel pool was great after a long road trip and the location in the mall is fantastic. There are lots of great places to eat within walking distance. Overall a really lovely hotel and we'll be back again.

• Stayed: April 2007
3  Thank drippyD
Reviewed January 18, 2007

Visiting Virginia colleges, including James Madison and UVA, we wanted a hotel that would be convenient for the region. The Omni was a good choice. Our adjoining rooms were not huge but they were very nice, clean and the linens were cozy. The staff was very helpful and their referals were right on. What a surprise to find some of the best fine dining of the region just down the ped mall from the hotel at the Downtown Grill and the Melting Pot. Breakfast at the hotel was buffet style and very generous.
There was some construction happening but I think this is going to make the hotel just that much better. If our daughter decides to attend a Virginia school, I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2006