“Nice...but Noisy”

Omni Charlottesville
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Nice spacious room at the Omni, which has a good location at the end of the Downtown mall. Small bathroom but well appointed. I was surprised that wi-fi would have cost 10 bucks. The HVAC unit made a chirp every time the compressor shut off and there is absolutely no soundproofing, so you simply hear everything going on around you! As others have mentioned, the doors slam shut HARD and you really hear them all day and night. The breakfast buffet was good and the welcome champagne a nice touch. We had a fine time at the Omni once we turned our white noise generator up to eleven!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oldbay
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Charlottesville, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

We appreciate your comments from your recent stay but apologize for the noise disruptions. Your feedback regarding the A/C unit will be shared with our Director of Engineering so that his team can reinspect our units. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope you will return soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I came here with a mini bus driving a group of folks going to the garden tours and Monticello for the weekend. The Hotel Parking lot can accomedate mini buses and large Motor Coaches. Great for groups.
My room was 2 double beds with a chair. Had a large LG flat panel set in the room and that was nice. The lighting is clear incandescent bulbs through out the room which I like but for reading at the desk and bedside, it would be nice if the hotel would put in soft white 75 watt or 100 watt bulbs in those spots. Glad not to see a cheap CFL bulb. in room coffee service has great Wolfgang Puck Coffee packets and they provide half and half creamers and black ceramic cups and to go cups. Room was very good overall, but the mattresses need to be rotated to prevent sagging to one side.
Bathroom was great despite the door getting into your way. Need to consider a outward opening door or a pocket door. Nice they have qtips and cotton balls and clear incandescent lighting in the bathroom. The close up mirror for shaving is nice but the lighting in that mirror is dim for that purpose but it makes a great night light.
The breakfast buffet rocks. There are great ingredients on that buffet even for folks with gluten allergies. They have a line of Glutina? brand cereals on the buffet. The oatmeal is McCanns' Irish oatmeal steel cut with a long array of things to put in it. Great breads and pastries and they even have goats butter, Vermont butter and President butter, high end jams, honey and top shelf breads. The hot buffet you can get an omelette to your liking, thick sausage links and market sliced bacon. Lots of fresh fruit on that buffet also. Plan on spending $12-15 before tax and gratuity for that deal. Usually I do not go to hotel restaurants unless they are decent.
The pool and health club were great along with the hot tub.
When you step out of the back door of the Omni, you are in a Historic area of Charlottesville with lots of local flavor there. I would highly recommend this hotel and will come back to tour Monticello and other sites hopefully soon.

Room Tip: Higher up floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your generous recommendation of The Omni Charlottesville. We are glad you had a great stay and hope you will return again soon!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is its location - it is right on the pedestrian mall that is the heart of Charlottesville. Now that doesn't mean it's lacking in other good qualities. The lobby area is nicely decorated and the rooms are quite not bad either, just a little low on lighting. On the plus side it's great that they have an indoor AND an outdoor pool. Overall though, what you're really paying for is how well situated the Omni is.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

We are fortunate to have such a great location and are delighted that it helped to make your stay more enjoyable. Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor and we hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

I booked a king room and when my partner and I showed up to check in we were told there was no king room available and instead we would have to take to doubles. We were staying two nights and I asked about a king for the next night but was told none were available. When I complained that we had booked a king I was told that the Omni does not guarantee the room you select if you do so through a third party. I was pissed, especially the next day when I went online to their website and found that I could book a king room for that night but when I asked again for a king I was told none were available. The second worst part was that since we got in at 8pm after a three hour drive we decided to order room service. I got the pork and my partner the steak. Mine was fine. The pork was quite good but the sides only so-so. For my partner, however, his spelled disaster. Within 45 minutes of finishing he was in the bathroom with food poisoning. He spent the whole night back and forth between the bathroom and the bed. Come the next morning he was wiped out and had to spend to majority of the day in bed recovering. We had come to Charlottesville for the purpose of eating good food and shopping the independent bookstores, and overall relaxing. That was all pretty much shot. The location of the hotel can't be beat and the condition is up to par. However, if you stay I would recommend staying off the second floor since you'll probably be looking at the HVAC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and one that does NOT look out on the atrium.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JGGNC

We were dismayed to read about your experience at The Omni Charlottesville. We feel that an apology via TripAdvisor is certainly not enough and we would like the opportunity to speak with you and learn more about what may have happened. A private message with our General Manager's contact information has been sent to you and we truly hope that you will reach out to us so that we may have the opportunity to make things right. Thank you in advance for giving us the opportunity to speak with you.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed at the Omni Charlottesville for 2 nights in April, where we had 2 connecting rooms.

Our visit was OUTSTANDING and we plan to return!!

The hotel provides valet parking with unlimited in/out privileges, so we took advantage of this option. The valet and bell staff was professional and helpful, in a relaxed, non-pushy or rushed manner. In other words, you could take time to gather your belongings without feeling rushed, which was so nice. Before we ever set foot in the hotel, a member of the bell staff brought a Omni Kids Pack to our 4 year old. She was so excited! She spent hours playing with the magnifying glass, hotel treasure map, canteen and water bottle. The water bottle was BPA free, which earned points with me.

The rooms were beautiful, the television channels were ample and the beds so comfy. The only cramped area was the bathroom, but was not bad. There was a nightly turndown service, which enabled us to get fresh towels. We joined the Omni rewards group and enjoyed free Wifi (normally a charge without Omni rewards).

I want to take a minute to mention what was the most pleasing part of the hotel - the breakfast buffet! This is a top of the line buffet with local ingredients used where available and multiple gluten free items offered. In our party there was a heart attack survivor and a severely nut allergic traveler. We truly appreciated that nearly every breakfast item had the original box or ingredient/nutritional labeling available for us to review. The breakfast was worth every penny and the coffee was divine. My dad commented that whoever is running the breakfast is really in touch with growing dining needs (gluten free/low sodium/no nuts) and that is so true!!

The hotel has a nice pool are with fresh towels and a workout room overlooking the city. There is also free Starbucks coffee in the lobby until about 6:30 a.m. By the front desk.

Finally, the hotel back end opens onto a wonderful walking mall with restaurants, used book stores, an ice skating rink, coffee shops and the usual university flair. Although not located right behind the hotel, I would suggest Feast for some of the best locally sourced food we've ever eaten. The hotel can give directions.

Enjoy this hotel! It's a gem!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your glowing review of The Omni Charlottesville. We truly appreciated hearing your compliments of our breakfast and are excited to pass your kudos along to our Food and Beverage Team. Thank you for taking the time to write a recommendation and we hope for a future opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Chose this hotel as my overnight for my trip Charlottesville’s famous Pedestrian Mall because of its location … you exit the Atrium of the hotel and you are on the Pedestrian Mall. Can’t get any closer than that. Additionally, the bus and free trolley stop is located alongside the hotel.

In true Omni Hotel tradition, this property is well appointed and had several plusses, which is what I expected. What I did not expect were the minuses.

First, the up side:

I can tell you that the Number One plus at this hotel is, with one exception, the professional service of its employees. From the moment I drove up to the front entrance of the property, I was greeted by an ever-so-polite doorman who not opened open my vehicle door for me, but then proceeded to almost run to open every other door that crossed my path.

There is an onsite, covered, multi-level garage with free parking for guests. The garage has an entrance directly into the hotel, around the corner from the reception desk. The interior of the hotel is lovely, with a large common area, tastefully appointed, featuring floor-to-ceiling window panels all around. They offer free champagne with strawberries in the afternoons.

I was uber-impressed by the wonderful gentleman, Michael, who checked me in at the Front Desk. This man was one of the most attentive and professional people I’ve ever met. After I’d checked in and spent approximately six hours touring Charlottesville, when I re-entered the hotel later that afternoon he greeted me *by name*as if we’d known each other for years.

Your room card key allows you access to the elevators to prevent any unauthorized access upstairs. You also get a separate card with a real metal key on it that gives you access to your honor bar in yours room. I had a King room which was spacious and comfortable (but rather dimly lit, which was odd considering the fact that there were plenty of light fixtures available). In addition to the king-sized bed and side tables, there was an easy chair positioned under a floor lamp (convenient for reading), and a very long combination dresser, TV credenza, honor bar, and desk with a glass covered top. Television was a flat screen. Coffee maker made two separate cups at a time, but with real ceramic mugs and Wolfgang Puck coffee.

The double-doored clothes closet contained two soft, comfy waffle weave bathrobes, an iron and ironing board, and a safe. It also offered not one, but two collapsible suitcase stands … usually only see one (if any).

The bathroom was beautiful with granite countertop, lighted magnifying makeup mirror (which was extendable-from-the-wall), a hair dryer, and a lovely selection of toiletries. There was a very nice *walk-in* shower (no doors or shower curtain to fight with) with dual shower heads … one regular and one hand-held. Oh, and actual drinking glasses made of glass in the bathroom … not paper or foam cups. Very nice.

As near as I could tell, there are only two types of view from the rooms … either the lobby downstairs (the upper floors overlook the lobby in a horseshoe pattern) or the flat black roof of other parts of the conference part of the hotel. Mine was on the 4th floor and looked out onto the lobby.

Had dinner that first night in the hotel restaurant. Stated with a delicious house salad and fabulous fresh baked bread. My filet mignon was perfection on a plate, cooked perfectly, and came with grilled asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes. . I chose the Trio of Desserts after the meal which was a delightful bite of cheesecake, a scoop of sautéed bananas in butter and brown sugar and a piece of chocolate.

The next morning was Saturday so I opted for their breakfast buffet which was sumptuous and plentiful … much more than what you normally see at hotel breakfast buffets.

All of the food I ate at the hotel was impeccable.

OK, now for the dislikes … some small, small not so small:

The first small nit involved the honor bar. First, you open a wooden cabinet door on the large dresser/TV/desk credenza. Apparently, this piece of furniture was not level, or the cabinet door itself was not level, because when I opened the door, it dragged on the carpet, so much so that it would not fully open without some force. Like I said, small nit … certainly not a dealbreaker for me, just surprising in such an elegantly appointed place.

The strong not-so-small dislike came from the honor bar itself. The contents were what you’d expect … beverages including milk, orange juice, sodas, beer, wine and spirits; plus a shelf with a few snacks like candy, etc. The surprise was that those beverages … including the wine, beer, milk and juice … were housed in what looked like a refrigerator but most assuredly was not functioning as everything was room temperature.

I went back down to the front desk to explain this *problem* and was greeted by someone who was not the previously praised Michael, but rather a female whose name I did not get. She told me the honor bar container was working properly and was not supposed to be a refrigerator. I asked her how anyone was supposed to enjoy room temperature milk, juice or beer and all she did was shrug her shoulders at me. When I stood there, shocked, she finally said that I could *order* cold milk from room service. (It’s worth noting that all room service comes with an extra 20% “service charge” tacked onto the already large bill …)

A word to Omni hotel management: no one wants to drink lukewarm milk, juice or beer. No one. And for $275 a night, no one should have to. Ever.

The second small nit involved the coffee maker. Although it was supposed to make two caps at a time, it only brewed one-half cup into each mug each time … weird. I also missed not having a little microwave in the room to heat up the coffee when it cooled off before I finished it. Again, another feature that much less expensive hotels provide.

The third and final nit has to do with the TV remote. Never seen one like this before .. it was black-on-black, meaning black barely-raised buttons on a black remote. The labels illuminate a dull read after you press them … the problem is trying to determine which button to press because the black-on-black design makes them nearly impossible to see. Very poor choice.

All in all, if you’re visiting the Pedestrian Mall, there’s no better place to stay if you don’t mind splurging on the price to pamper yourself. The only real dealbreaker for me was that unrefrigerated honor bar thing. Were it not for that, I'd have given the place 5 stars.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms overlook the lobby; odd numbered rooms give you a view of a flat rooftop for the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Jan714

Thank you for your very thorough and insightful review from your recent stay at The Omni Charlottesville. We can't thank you enough for all of your compliments but are concerned about the few issues you encountered. Please know that all issues have been brought to the attention of our General Manager and our Executive Team and you should have received a message from our General Manager so that he can further research the issues. We do hope for the opportunity to speak with you and learn more about your stay and it would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I've probably stayed at 10 Omni hotels and this one would rate second on the list (after the Gaslamp Omni in San Diego). Friendly and helpful staff (problems with my reservation fixed in a flash, among other things) ... great location (Downtown Mall right out the door - lots of dining options, shops, movies) ... good parking situation ... nice/clean rooms. If I had to nitpick, my lone complaint would be the hotel shop's hours (closes earlier than I'd like) but otherwise ... everything here was great. Would definitely be my choice when returning to the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Charlottesville, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Thank you for your loyalty to Omni Hotels and for your complimentary review of The Omni Charlottesville. We appreciate your kind words and also your suggestion regarding our gift shop. It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back the next time you are in Charlottesville.