The front desk personnel are professional and helpful. The company is not putting trainees on duty here. As usual, this was a good stay. The good and the mediocre:
1. Experienced staff who seem to have a knack for the hospitality business.
2. Breakfast: Excellent service and food. The servers are attentive without being annoying. I noticed that they are cordial with the talkative customers, and seem to know that the anti-social [--] like me just want to be served and left alone. I wish they did not return with the "doing all right?" after 4 bites, but I guess that's a standard technique. My tips do all the talking necessary.
3. This is one of those split level motels due to the grading of the hilly area. Recommend asking for a room on 2nd floor, around the room 232 area. You will have ready access to your room through the back door, where there is more parking than in the front area. Every day, I parked no further than 50 feet total from the door of my room.
4. The free coffee is quite good. Hot, lots of sugar and cream, and in a great location to the right of the front desk.
Not so Good:
1. Business office: The scanner is the outdated type where you have to know which software to pull up on the computer. I had to ask the bearded man at the desk (Chuck?) to come and help. He did, and he got my document scanned. It would be much better to either invest in the plug and play scanner or have written instructions on the wall so the front desk person does have to leave his or her post, maybe making a customer wait.
2. Restaurant (Emmet's) for dinner: I brought my daughter for dinner on Sunday night. The restaurant was only open for meals at the bar. The bartender did not have a whole lot of personality. There were 2 big screen TVs which is a good thing, but on one of them there was a violent movie. It was not appetizing to shove steak in my mouth while watching blood spurt from a guy's mouth. I was going to ask Mr. Congeniality to change the channel, but by then my appetite was ruined, plus there were non-dining customers who wanted it on. Tip to bartender: Sports and News are standard in the food serving arena.
3. Access to facility: It is difficult and hazardous making that right-turn only out of the lot onto Route 29. If you think you are going to make that cross-median left turn, forgetaboutit.
4. Exercise Facility: There was no remote for the TV. Too much trouble walking downstairs to the main desk to ask.
5. Laundry room: Fix the detergent dispenser. It is wonderful that you give refunds right away, but have some spare detergent on hand at the desk so you won't have to waste time making the customer fill out a form for 50 doggone cents.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Charlottesville Hotel- University Area and Conference Center. Our hotel is conveniently located on (Route 29) Emmet Street. The University of Virginia is located within one mile of the hotel. Nearby attractions include the University of Virginia, Monticello, Ashlawn-Highland, Wineries, Michie Tavern, Montpelier, and various boutique shops and galleries. Nearby companies and government offices include State Farm Regional Office, GE -Fanuc, Northrop Grumman, Lexi-Nexis, Klockner, Sprint, PRA, National Ground Intelligence Center, J.A.G. School, UVA Health Systems, and Biotage Technologies. Our newly renovated, spacious rooms include free high speed wireless Internet. We also offer a business center, fitness facility, pay per view movies, coffee/ tea makers, room service, guest laundry, free USA Today on the weekdays and complimentary shuttle service to the Charlottesville Airport. During your stay we invite you to dine at our Lobby Cafe'. We are the ideal location for your wedding, banquet, meeting or any special event. The Holiday Inn University area offers facilities to accommodate up to 300 people, with over 4,900 square feet of meeting space. Let our expert staff work for you in accommodating your every need. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area Hotel Charlottesville
- Holiday Inn University Area
- Charlottesville Holiday Inn