“One week stay while at JAG School”

Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area
Ranked #27 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The front desk personnel are professional and helpful. The company is not putting trainees on duty here. As usual, this was a good stay. The good and the mediocre:

Good:

1. Experienced staff who seem to have a knack for the hospitality business.

2. Breakfast: Excellent service and food. The servers are attentive without being annoying. I noticed that they are cordial with the talkative customers, and seem to know that the anti-social [--] like me just want to be served and left alone. I wish they did not return with the "doing all right?" after 4 bites, but I guess that's a standard technique. My tips do all the talking necessary.

3. This is one of those split level motels due to the grading of the hilly area. Recommend asking for a room on 2nd floor, around the room 232 area. You will have ready access to your room through the back door, where there is more parking than in the front area. Every day, I parked no further than 50 feet total from the door of my room.

4. The free coffee is quite good. Hot, lots of sugar and cream, and in a great location to the right of the front desk.

Not so Good:

1. Business office: The scanner is the outdated type where you have to know which software to pull up on the computer. I had to ask the bearded man at the desk (Chuck?) to come and help. He did, and he got my document scanned. It would be much better to either invest in the plug and play scanner or have written instructions on the wall so the front desk person does have to leave his or her post, maybe making a customer wait.

2. Restaurant (Emmet's) for dinner: I brought my daughter for dinner on Sunday night. The restaurant was only open for meals at the bar. The bartender did not have a whole lot of personality. There were 2 big screen TVs which is a good thing, but on one of them there was a violent movie. It was not appetizing to shove steak in my mouth while watching blood spurt from a guy's mouth. I was going to ask Mr. Congeniality to change the channel, but by then my appetite was ruined, plus there were non-dining customers who wanted it on. Tip to bartender: Sports and News are standard in the food serving arena.

3. Access to facility: It is difficult and hazardous making that right-turn only out of the lot onto Route 29. If you think you are going to make that cross-median left turn, forgetaboutit.

4. Exercise Facility: There was no remote for the TV. Too much trouble walking downstairs to the main desk to ask.

5. Laundry room: Fix the detergent dispenser. It is wonderful that you give refunds right away, but have some spare detergent on hand at the desk so you won't have to waste time making the customer fill out a form for 50 doggone cents.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed 3 nights. Clean and very spacious room. Comfortable bed with many pillows of different firmness. Close to university, mall and downtown. Short drive from Monticello (but still not bad). Super friendly staff. Theresa in the bar/restaraunt was wonderful! Reasonably priced room service although I didn't order anything. The pool/fitness room were basic, but then again, I didn't use them. They had a very nice patio with furniture to drink wine or hang out. Our room was along the side of NC 29. Unlike other reviewers, I did not hear any cars or noise from the road at all. Packed hotel from what it appeared, and I heard no noise from the other guests. My only complaint is that our room was on a corner next to the stair well, and the door to the stair well shuts a bit hard. Every time someone went to the stairs, it sounded like they were knocking on our door. No continental breakfast, but free coffee in the lobby. The coffee maker in the room only made one cup each reg and decaf. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay. Can't beat it for the price we paid. Would stay again!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My daughter and I went away for a weekend just to relax!!! This hotel was very clean and the beds are very comfortable.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a room with a garden view and it was on the 4th floor and it was very quite!!! The room was a very nice size but the bathroom was a little small but clean. This is an older hotel so I think that is why the bathroom is a little small. We did not eat in the hotel or use the pool but both look very nice. The location is wonderful!
We spend time at UVA and also went to Southliving open house.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Can't say enough about Charles and his team at the Holiday Inn in Charlottesville. They are ALWAYS consistent, reliable and available and 99% of the time, have everything ready and correct when we arrive. The 1% of the time they don't, they genuinely smile and correct it on the spot! Great people, great service great hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2013

So my company booked me for a Holiday Inn and I wasn't thrilled, but couldn't change the reservation. I didn't have good luck with Holiday Inns before, but I did with this one. The hotel looks like an Old Holiday Inn from the outside but upon entrance it looks very clean and inviting. Staff are very nice. The room was very comfortable especially the mattress ,which I have had issues before in other Holiday inn properties. Full service restaurant, bar, etc. Breakfast isn't included but its less expensive here than at Courtyard. Great stay and close to everything in Charlottesville!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Older Holiday Inn which means large rooms with nice furniture and comfortable beds. Great location. The property was very quiet. The outside entryways had beautiful flowers. Room service food was great for breakfast.

For some reason, there are sliding doors to an outside balcony. These may have been used at one time, but now you can only open them 4 inches. In my nonsmoking room, there were numerous cigarette butts thrown out the door on to the balcony. There were a lot of scuff marks on the walls, rusty toilet paper holders, leaking tub faucet, and quite a bit of wear and tear to the room in general. The pool area was disgusting. An abundance of leaves, trash, grime and filth around the pool tile, sad looking dying plants, and absolutely filthy pool chairs and stained windows. Why is this area so overlooked when the rest of the hotel appears to be cleaned and well-maintained for the most part?

Room Tip: I had a room on the Rte. 29 side - it was not THAT noisy, but you could hear larger trucks, ambulanc...
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is my third stay at this property within the past six months. Each time I have had a pleasant night's sleep, thanks to quiet and clean rooms. The front desk staff are friendly and helpful, the lobby is comfortable and inviting, and the indoor pool nicer than I expected, given that it is on a lower floor with no windows. The on site restaurant is nothing special, but there are so many other options along 29 within a few minutes drive from the hotel that I didn't find this to be a problem. Rooms are on the spacious size, compared with others I have stayed in, and they feature two chairs and a desk in addition to the standard queen beds and flat screen TV. My room has always been on the back side (away from 29) which may be why it was so quiet...I would request such a room. The location is very convenient to the many restaurants along 29, and is just up the street from the mall. A new movie theater complex and shopping area are just across the road (Traders Joes and Noodle Company, anyone?!) and the hotel is a very short drive from the campus of UVA and the medical center.

Room Tip: Choose back side of the hotel, away from 29. These rooms back up to a wooded neighborhood.