All reviews room was clean would stay here again hotel restaurant exercise room convenient location one night stay short drive movie theater king bed uva ihg university convention microwave concert hospital
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Title says it all ... Very nice and friendly at check in. Very clean (though starting To show some age), and very quiet. Would stay here again. Convenient particularly to the University. Meals were, as would be expected, fairly expensive and pretty average.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2012

we just love staying at this Holiday Inn ,nice lobby,large clean rooms. & the restaurant called Emmets has the best food at reasonable prices.The staff are always friendly & the location is about 5 miles to city center/college area. My husband is now worried they are building a mall next door - I'm thrilled....

Room tip: all the rooms we have had have been wonderful
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank boggie_7
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed here on a weeknight for a business trip. Staff was friendly and attentive. Room was spacious and clean. Staff seemed to take pride in their job, which was refreshing. Had a drink in the bar, ate breakfast in the restaurant. Both were above average in service and quality. Downsides- I stayed on front side of property towards busy road, was rather noisy. I'm a heavy sleeper so this wasn't horrible. Walls were thin, could hear the clock radio and tv in next room. Also- a couple of details that really might seem picky to some but point to lack of leadership/ poor management to me: wanted a soda, machines are available on most floors, but were in need of service. Food machine was mostly empty and soda machines had product advertised that was so old the bottles had shriveled due to evaporation. That would be an easy fix but one that is literally years past due and shows lack of attention to detail. Seems like an easy revenue stream missed there. The other thing I thought was odd was that they go to the trouble of leaving a tv listing on the night stand that is completely wrong. Either don't leave it or type up a new one, neither would have hurt my feelings, but it seemed like another blatant lack of attention to detail. Overall- I would stay here again, but mostly because the staff friendliness and convenience. I paid less than $90 a night so that made it more attractive than most other local places.

3  Thank Jmzax
Reviewed October 15, 2012

After reading the mixed reviews we were somewhat hesitant to book here, but other Charlottesville VA- area Holiday Inns could not guarantee a non-smoking room. Very pleasantly surprised! Used a combination of Priority Club points and $$, which made this a very reasonable motel stay. Right on the main Hwy into Charlottesville (Rt.29), convenient location, close to restaurants and shopping. Good Indian restaurant a short walk across front parking lot! Not overly impressed driving up, but the front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. (Thanks Ali!) Hotel lobby and halls were very clean and appeared newly-remodeled. Our room (7th floor) was clean and fresh- nice linens, clean bathroom, cable tv, microwave and fridge hidden inside cabinet door. Only quirk was the elevator-- slow and noisy and no button for 3rd floor... L, 2, 4,5, 6, 7? Hmm. Would definitely stay here again.

Room tip: Hotel is fairly close to main road. Rooms on the back may be quieter.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank smartieWashDC
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here on an October weekend. Was the last place we could find that had rooms. Marriott, Omni, Hilton, etc all sold out (and not a football weekend).
The Good: Staff found us a room. Better than sleeping in a car.
The Bad: Price, ouch!, last minute but still close to two hundred a night?
The Ugly: Room smelled, mold? mildew? Carpets and cleaning is questionable. Glad I don't have a CSI blue light to check for DNA.
No breakfast, just coffee. Room was quiet and beds were comfortable.
If you have to stay here you will live, but it would not be my choice if I had other options at all.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank anonomuse
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Dear anonomuse,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am pleased that you found our location and staff service satisfactory enough for your needs. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience you experienced with our room accommodations. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments.

Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer.

Pam G.