All reviews room was clean would stay here again decent hotel hotel restaurant exercise room convenient location one night stay short drive movie theater king bed uva ihg university inns convention microwave concert
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I stay at this hotel several times a year as it is a mile from my parents home. We stay alot during the Holidays. The staff is always so friendly and we always look forward to seeing them again when we come back with their warm welcome. We love the indoor pool as its great to take a dip during the winter at Christmas. The breakfast is wonderful and greatly priced. The hotel has had so many beautiful upgrades over the past couple years in the lobby and rooms, and very clean. The property is in a very central part of Charlottesville, so much to do and see. We will not stay anywhere else. Honestly seeing some of these negitive reviews upsets me. But, I guess you can't always please everyone.

Date of stay: December 2011
1  Thank Mary G
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We were moving our daughter into UVA and stayed here. It is convenient to get to the dorms at UVA. The outside looked old, but we were happy to find a renovated lobby with bar and restaurant. It was expensive, but it was move in weekend and most places were priced high. The rooms looked nice, but the mattresses were not great.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I had a horrible experience at the Holiday Inn off of Emmett Street. The list as follows:

1.) I wasn't greeted at all when I came in to the hotel to check in. The young male attendant and the middle age, african-american female just looked at me and didn't say anything to me when I came up to the counter. I finally had to say that I wanted to check-in to get them to acknowledge me. No one else was in the lobby, they were too busy carrying on a conversation with each other.
2. The young man checking me in did not direct me to the elevators or help me to know how to get to my room, which EVERY hotel I have ever stayed in has done so.
3. When I got up to my room, both of the beds were not working properly. One side on each bed was so far over the frame, they would flip up in the air. We tried fixing them and could not. My bathtub also had a broken plug stop, and the rusted broken part was sitting on the soap dish. When I called the front desk (Ila) heard what I had to say and her first response was to move me to a different room. I explained to her that I had unpacked everything and did not want to move unless it was completely necessary, that these seemed like issues they could fix. She then proceeded to contradict herself and say they would try to find a new bathtub stopper, but they were completely full. I didn't understand how she was going to move me, before even sending up someone to see if the issues could be fixed...if they were full? She clearly wanted to only do what was easiest for her, not for me, the paying customer.
4. They did fix the issues, but still LEFT the nasty, broken part to the bathtub in the bathtub.
5. We went to the restaurant in the hotel (Emmett's) and all the available tables (there were a lot) were dirty and had not been wiped down at all. Keep in mind, there was only ONE table that anyone was at...they just had not cleaned off any of the tables. We cleaned off a table and had a seat. There was one employee who working, but he was not able to serve alcohol, so we had to wait for the bartender to come back. She came back from a break and took our orders. After she got our drinks, she then proceeded to leave the area and go behind a lattice partition behind our table, and carry on a conversation with a memeber of hotel management (rhonda) and another male employee. Rhonda, a manager, was going on and on to this bar tender and other eomployee about ANOTHER employee. We could hear the entire conversation. Not only was it unprofessional and rude, but that is not what we cared to hear about after traveling. Then after that, the bartender continued to stay back there and get on her cell phone to have a personal conversation with her sister, regarding her upcoming vacation. We could hear the entire thing. Keep in mind, there is now ZERO employees in the restaurant and an older couple and younger genetleman have come in to the bar and commented "is this a self-serve bar" because there was no one around for at leat 15 minutes.
6. My cousin came in to meet me at the hotel. When she came in to the hotel, she asked the same female (Ila) where she could find the bar, because she was meeting someone. Ila responded, "well i guess you could look over there" and pointed in the direction over by the bar. There was NO reason for that kind of attitude.
7. Half of the TV stations in my room did not work and were not even labeled correctly, it was incredibly frustrating trying to figure out what was what.
8. The outside part of the property was trashy and unkept. We took pictures if you would like to see. The security latch was broken on a side door, so anyone could get in. There were mattresses overflowing by the trash (at least 30 beds outside), there was a broken light that was detached from the outlet, so wires were exposed. Someone could have really hurt themself.

This experience was horrible. Not only did I pay top rate for this place, but the services ACROSS the board was rude, unprofessional, and incompetent. I have never stayed at a hotel ilke this, and have had this kind of service or been treated like this. I demand something be done. Again, we have pictures. When asked if there was a manager to speak with (Ila said this), her response was "we have one"...and that was it.

Completely unnecessary and the worst experience in a hotel I have ever had. No one should ever stay there.

5  Thank Sara S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Dear Sara S,

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience with us. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and I apologize that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance in this context. It is our goal to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay and regret you were not satisfied with the room conditions as well as the services received from our team members. Certainly this is not the standard we’ve set for our hotel and staff. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Please be assured that these issues will be looked into.

Thank you again for your comments.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I am always impressed with the consistency of Holiday Inns, and the location in Charlottesville is no exception. The property is conveniently located off the US-29/250 Bypass, and though there is nearly one of every national chain restaurant and store within a 1-mile radius, the historic Charlottesville downtown is only a 5-minute drive and offers great character and independent restaurants and shops.

The hotel is well-maintained, fresh and clean. The beds were comfortable, TV was a new HD-model, and the shower was invigorating (though some might think the water pressure was too strong!) The lobby and common areas were bustling with people at all hours, but our room was sufficiently soundproofed, so noise was not an issue. The pool seemed to be a popular place, though we weren't able to go due to time constraints.

The property is built into a hillside, so be aware that the lobby is on the 3rd floor, and one may have to go down to access their room.

All hotels in this area are pricey due to the combination of tourist attractions and the university; at least by staying at this property, you can ensure a clean, comfortable stay with comprehensive services.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Although the staff was very friendly and offered good service, the poor quality of the internet and the lumpy, unacceptable bedding rates a 2 star failure for this hotel. How can the owners invest $2.75 million dollar in renovating this hotel in 2009 and neglect the bedding and the internet quality?? That's just really bad business that allowed me to pick them off on Priceline for $76/night for the weekend for lack of demand.

The rooms were clean and the location is great. If they decide to fix the bedding and internet, I'll raise this hotel to 3 1/2 stars for sure. In the meantime, look elsewhere or "low ball" them on Priceline.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Everett G,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. We are delighted that our location was the perfect fit for all of your needs and liked our clean rooms and friendly hotel staff. We are so sorry you did not enjoy your stay here with us. We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced regarding the internet services and condition of the beds. We truly value the comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N