“Very average experience”

Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Richmond, VA
“Very average experience”
Reviewed August 21, 2007

We checked in around 8:00 p.m. on Saturday night after spending the day at a family reunion. Needless to say we were exhausted and in need of a shower. The check in was fine and the staff was courteous. As a priority member, we were given a small "gift" bag. There were four of us in our party: myself, my husband and my son and daughter (ages 4 and 6). Our gift bag contain one child-size bag of Goldfish crackers and a one small bag of fruit candy, plus a discount for a meal in the restaurant. It was not very impressive. Our room was fine, noisy a/c unit that was either too hot or too cold. The beds were comfortable, but neither my husband nor I could sleep well on the pillows. The carpet was in need of a good shampooing as well. The worst part was the bath tub. It had not been cleaned and it was very evident. There were clumps of hair all around the tub and you could see soap scum. Unfortunately, we didn't notice this problem until close to 9:00 p.m. and we needed to get the kids settled. Instead of calling housekeeping (we figured it would take at least 15 minutes or longer for someone to clean the tub and we didn't want to move to a new room as we were unpacked already), my husband retrieved a bottle of cleaning fluid from our truck and I cleaned the tub to my satisfaction before giving the kids a bath. Check out was fine and we were only at the hotel for a total of about 13-14 hours. If we were staying more than one night in the area, I would not stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — The whole place seemed very subpar.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Raskew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Finnish first
Virginia
Reviewed July 31, 2007

The beds were comfortable and the towels were clean. The carpet needed a good cleaning, and the tub needed scrubbed. We went to the coffee bar in the morning and it was empty. Easy to locate, and the pool was fine. Good for a night but wouldn't want to stay there much more then a day.

• Liked — The comfortable beds.
  • Disliked — The dirty carpet and bathtub.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank VirginiaScottish
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I was very ammused to read a review on here from 2 years ago complaining about the sweltering heat in the 6th floor hallway. Nothing has changed; it's still about 90 degrees in the hallway as I write this from the 6th floor. My room is well cooled by a very noisy
but effective a.c. unit.

This is a pretty mediocre Holiday Inn, and it seems more like a Super 8. The bed and pillows are nice and indicate a higher quality chain. It's the cheapest of the mid-range hotel chains I could find in Charlottesville, and now I understand why. You could do worse, but
there's not much to recommend this place except its convenient location.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank tokoloshgrrl
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 25, 2007

We recently stayed here for 2 nights. Was a little nervous after reading some of the reviews, but had absolutely no problems. The front desk guy checking us in was welcoming, one of the nicest front deskers I've ever come across! We're just basic, low-tiered Priority Club members, but we were put on the top floor and given free breakfasts, a nice bonus.The room was spacious, neat and clean. Ditto the bathroom. It all looked recently renovated. There was some hallway noise that penetrated the room, but otherwise, couldn't hear noise from the road nor from the room next door. Great big comfy bed and large TV in the room, but no fridge. Our first morning, they were running a little slow/late on breakfast one of the days but the server was outstanding and made up for it with his cheer and good humor (and I am neither cheerful nor overly receptive in the mornings). Probably would have been more of an inconvenience if we'd had to get to work or a meeting, but we were just vacationing, so no big deal. The rest of the staff we encountered were equally friendly and competent. Also, there is a standalone computer with free internet access in the lobby. We didnt go to the pool but it looked nice and clean from our window. Plenty of parking at this hotel and though its by the road, it is set back from it and surrounded by trees. Other posts made me think this hotel was right on the road in a strip mall type area, not the case at all. The location is fine, easy to get around Charlottesville, to the sights and to some of the wineries. Some fast food restaurants walking distance, and there is a grocery store <5 minute drive away. Moreover, we got a great rate, one of the cheapest in Charlottesville when we looked, about $80/night. Charlottesville is a beautiful city and I recommend it and this hotel.

• Liked — The service and the value
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MeTravelBug
Florida
Reviewed May 19, 2007

We just got back from staying at this hotel. While it is convenient to the sites...the hotel room was so poor. Carpet was stained in many places, the chair in the room had a cushion so stained that I turned it over...and yikes it was worse on the other side and on the chair itself. I was nervous that I would get bed bugs there. The worse about the hotel was when we came back to our room after being out from 10am- 8 pm... we saw that our room door was ajar. I called the hotel manager and he asked "was anything taken?". .. told him I didn't think so..so he promptly said "oh that was a housekeeping error". They were lucky that nothing was taken. No mention that they will make sure this doesn't happen in the future etc. Just sorry and I hope the $25 adjustment helps. How insulting was that?

I would not recommend this hotel. You are better off driving a little further out and getting a better hotel.

• Liked — LOCATION
  • Disliked — CLEANLINESS AND SECURITY
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
17 Thank tango223

Travelers are raving about these Charlottesville hotels

Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed April 22, 2007

I visited Charlottesville during marathon weekend ( April 20-21). Hotel located 2 miles from the start line. It was an easy access to hotel from I-64. But I found out that it was very noisy inside because hotel is too close to the highway, so you may have to use ear plugs or choose a different hotel. Room was big and clean, but bathroom was outdated. I had a surprise during the check out – hotel charged me 30$ more than my reservation rate. I made a reservation using ‘Holiday Inn’ website and was very upset about that incident. Hotel clerk corrected an error. So be careful when check in/out at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
7 Thank Tatiana I
Charlottesville VA
Reviewed March 15, 2007

We stayed here while house hunting in Charlottesville. Our room was clean and the quality was average to above average. No complaints. Using Priceline, we got a great deal. Now that I am a resdident of this town, I know that the location may not be the best (heavy traffic) and there are other more "quaint" lodging options for a fair price, but for an average standard hotel, this is perfectly acceptable.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank bl122