“Should have kept driving”

Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Dallas
“Should have kept driving”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2009

1. Reservation was wrong. Ended up having to take smoking room to get a room with two beds. This is not what I wanted to hear after a 14 hour drive and reservations made 3 weeks prior.

2. Room is dated and dirty. A/C unit is ready for the junk pile. Really looks like it's destroyed.

3. Killed bug on curtains. Bed pillows smell of the purfume of the last person who slept here.

4. High speed internet is S-L-O-W
For my money, sleeping in my car would have been better.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Finnish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

Filthy carpets in elevators and rooms. Filthy air conditioner unit. Afraid I'll catch something monstrous from using it but needed to have AC because there are no screens on the windows and the hallway noise would have been extremely disruptive. Service at breakfast - have the servers not heard of trays instead of carrying individual glasses/cups?
Not tip top. I would have preferred to have stayed farther away from Cville in a decent hotel whose carpet might have been replaced some time in the last few years.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Charlottesville hotels

Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

My hubby and I stayed for four nights at this hotel. I would not recommend staying at this hotel, unless you can't find a room anywhere else. Thats what happened to us. We only booked because it was Alumni weekend at UVA, and rooms were very hard to find. My first thought as we entered the room was that it had a very odd smell, then when I went to open the curtains, I found a six inch hole in the curtain. On a good note, the bed did appear to be clean and was comfortable, and the hotel was indeed very handy to both Monticello and the Pedestrian Mall area. We took a Taxi to the mall and it only cost $10, and was well worth every penny. We did eat at lounge in the hotel. Food wasn't anything special, but I do have to say that the bartender was great! I think they really need to do some updating at this hotel. The couch in the lobby was dirty and looked like something from the 1980s. I also was a little put off that when we asked for some suggestions from the front desk on a place to get a good steak...they suggested the hotel restaurant. After the meal we had eaten there the night before, there was no way that was going to happen....

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Youngstown
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2009

I stayed 1 night and believe me it would't have happened if I knew the area. The room smelled petrudid, the chair had stains that I was afraid to know what it was, and none the less it was very dirty. I also left a multitude of expensive jewelry on the bathroom sink which housekeeping denined finding them. This has been highly disturbing and distraughtful. I wouldn't recommed this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank mistaktostay
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2009

The hotel was conveniently located to Monticello, which was the primary reason for our stay, but the rooms, although clean, are in serious need of being updated. The carpet especially, but all furnishings, were extremely dated, and the room had an unfresh odor. The bathroom was also very dated (but clean), and the fluorescent lighting was inadequate in the bathroom. The pool was an embarrassment (half empty, dirty, and uncovered), and the heating system looked very old and emitted a burning smell when turned on. The staff, however, were very professional and gracious, and always happy to help.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank stoppy71
Falls Church, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

My wife and I and our two dogs recently stayed one night at this hotel. We were a little concerned, given some of the reviews, but traveling with a 25 pound cocker mix and an 80 pound lab, we were short of options. The hotel turned out to be just really good. The room was clean and tidy. The hotel was also very quiet especially given its proximity to I-64. We used the heat/air unit fan and didn't notice the interstate, even though the room faced the interstate and we could see it from our 5th floor window. The hotel itself was very quiet (no barking dogs) although the hotel door could have been a little more soundproof. The staff was courteous and friendly, the rate was below many others for the President's day weekend and the pet fee of $15.00 was lower than many others. The location was good, less than 5 minutes to the downtown mall and right next to I-64 for quick east-west travel. We were on a house hunting trip and the hotel was great for access to Crozet in the West and Fluvanna in the east. Not a real walkable location but there was a small area to walk the dogs and a nice park, with an off leash dog park, was less than a 5 mile drive away. We didn't try the restaurant, got take out from the Mellow Mushroom (15 minute round trip to W. Main Street location), but it was good to know there was one. We'll stay there again.

• Liked — Accepts pets. Good location for driving, centrally located, close to downtown and attractions.
  • Disliked — Near interstate, thin doors (a little noisy in hallway).
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank CAVATravel
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2008

I booked one night at this hotel on Hotwire for $59 plus taxes for a total of $71.08.

The quality of the accommodations well exceeded my expectations which were based on the price I paid. There was an armchair in the room, a desk with chair with free WiFi, a newish bathroom, very nice linens and towels and a very nice lobby area.

The restaurant was closed for renovations the night we were there; however, the next morning they offered a complimentary continental breakfast instead.

Note that Google maps showed the wrong location for this hotel; it is actually north of I-64, not south.

• Liked — Accommodations were high quality
  • Disliked — Not in walking distance of downtown
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank phladun