“Near Monticello with updated rooms and pet friendly”

Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Newport Beach
“Near Monticello with updated rooms and pet friendly”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This property is an older high rise (10 floors) Holiday Inn located near Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello. It is also near the University of Virginia. The exterior of the property is what you would expect from an older (approximately 25 years) motel. Nothing special, but the interior is very nice and the rooms are more typical of a new, stylish, contemporary urban hotel. The bathroom was average. The room was noisy as it faced the highway and surprisingly there is a lot of traffic on I-64.

Very friendly staff. The location is very convenient for sightseeing and visiting Charlottesville. There are no restaurants or gas at this exit, however there are some a few miles away.

The rate seemed a bit pricey but I had to pay an extra $30 for two small dogs and the property was sold out. Supply and demand. Based upon other reviews it is possible that all rooms have not been updated. My room appeared to be relatively new so be sure to ask for an updated room.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room facing the opposite side of the highway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Finnish first
Western Scotland
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Having read the reviews I was a little concerned about what we were going to arrive at. It was good. Staff were terrific and friendly and were always helpful. The room was good, clean and no complaints about it other than it did not have a safe. I really couldn't complain about the hotel and staff so thank you for a good couple of nights.

Stayed July 2013
Herndon, VA
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My son's baseball team reserved a dozen rooms at this location. This is the second year for them, but the first year I have stayed at the property. It will be the last. I'm very surprised at the other people's reviews. I want the room and the price they got! My room was beaten up, bathtub was dirty, bathroom floor tiles cracked, and A/C didn't seem up to the job.

Additionally, we stayed on the 4th floor and we started calling it the phantom floor, because the elevator would pass right by it, and not let us off. This occurred randomly and on several of the elevators, so we couldn't find the way around the problem.

Front desk staff was nice, but that was the hook to get me in. After that, it wasn't a nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a floor other than the 4th. Away from the pool if you go to bed early. One was...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear redheadmom23,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. It is nice to know that you found the desk staff to be nice. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered over the room's condition. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Lutz, Florida
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I got this hotel on Hotwire.com and it was good for that price. Clean and room with king bed was large. Bathroom very small. Indoor hallways a plus but I have never seen such bland halls. I'm not there for the decor but the hallway looked like a hospital hall, a bit strange for a hotel. Doors bang pretty loud, otherwise quiet. No free breakfast, but good location. Less than 10 minutes to UVA, historic downtown mall and Monticello/Ash Lawn. Would stay again for same price.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wise, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I've stayed in some high dollar hotels costing much more than this, and I have to say the quality of the rooms in this hotel are actually nicer, especially since the renovations. The hotel is immaculate. Me and my mom both have to come to Charlottesville for medical reasons several times a year, and this is always stay. They give us a discount too, since we are there for health reasons. I highly recommend this hotel, it's conveniently located near I-64, several restuarants, and a grocery store,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I booked this over Priceline and wasn't disappointed. The rooms are tres modern and chic, and the staff was nice. I paid $75 so I can't complain! It was excellent. One thing: if you park in the front parking lot and panic because you can't see your car, then you've probably parked in the part of the parking lot you can't see because there is a stupid line of trees that blocks that part of the lot from view when you exit the front lobby. I thought my car had been stolen or towed or something! But it was fine.

• Stayed July 2013
philadelphia
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The hotel was good, very clean and a great shower head with a lot of pressure.

The only bad thing was that I had such a hard time finding this hotel off of I-64 W. the bushes hide the sign and the hotel is not seen from the road on 5 TH Ave. we had to call the hotel plus ask two people on the street just to find it.

So if you are coming this way I believe it is the first street you come to when you are on 5 TH Ave. there is not a light where you turn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends