“Keep going east on 64”

Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Holiday Inn Charlottesville - Monticello
I am currently staying at the hotel and would like to say for the record -
IT AIN'T A 3 STAR!!!! No where near!
Let me start by saying that the check-in process was smooth and the young ladies were superb! Funny, accurate and knowledgeable.
Now the real deal...
I added one night onto my stay but the cleaning staff didn't know that so when we returned to our room after being out all day, the room was clean at first sight. And then I needed to take my shower! Eeeeeooooowwww THEY DO NOT CLEAN THE TUBS!!! (And if a manager responds to this criticism, I took pictures of your carts and there is NOTHING that indicates tub cleaning) I took pictures of ALL of the previous hotel guests scum and then realized that I had already taken a shower! I feel faint! We had to request cleaning supplies and clean it ourselves. And, there are no sponges, they gave a rag.
Secondly, there is previous spillage that wasn't cleaned in the room (pictures as well) of where there is no particular attention to detail. That's just bad management! Really bad! (That's my opinion but I've traveled the world - just saying is all)
Thirdly, really, air conditioners where you must turn the volume up to 50 to hear the TV? Or where it sounds like an 18 wheeler idling in the parking lot and we are on the 4th floor. Totally unacceptable!!
Lastly, on the morning of the valedictorian commencements, I ordered coffee and waited. As a matter of fact, I'm STILL waiting. Why? BECAUSE SHE FORGOT TO GET MY ROOM NUMBER!!! Really? In this day and age 1) you can't identify the room number and/or persons calling, and, 2) shouldn't asking for a room number be a standard practice when taking an order if you cant identify who's calling? Any order?
Management issue? I think yes.
I happen to enjoy the HI chain - Intercontinental, Express and Crowne Plaza but this one in particular needs to meet the 21st century. Thomas Jefferson wouldn't even want to stay here!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear V N G,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our housekeeping, the air conditioning and customer service. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Nice enough room, but that is expected at a Holiday Inn or similar chain. On the other hand, a dirty room service tray sat in the hallway for almost 24 hours. Staff could manage to tear themselves away from private conversation to be helpful. I-64 traffic noise is present. Cannot open a room window on a beautiful day. The hotel did provide the best rate for a weekend getaway, however.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front would have less road noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear Ravensburger,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your review of your recent experience at our property. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects of your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 16, 2013

From the street this looks like a typical older Holiday Inn but the entire facility has been renovated top to bottom. The rooms were moderized, clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful with suggestions and directions to local restaurants although the retaurant on site was good for breakfast. Good wait staff and qucik service.

This is a good location for Monticello. From parking lot to parking lot maybe 7 - 10 minutes. The staff had preprinted directions for Monticello, Ash Lawn and Montpelierwhich were helpful.

Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were passing through on our way to catch the Amtrak train to Chicago. Stayed overnight and had breakfast the next morning. Room was very clean with updated furnishings. Both the breakfast service and food were both very good. The property is a bit dated but the furnishings appeared new or recently updated and very clean. We enjoyed our stay and would consider staying there again.

Room Tip: North facing rooms are quieter and do not face the interstate.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was in Charlottesville, VA for business and used Hotwire to book this hotel. The hotel was clean, most of the staff were friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable and the room was nice...outside of the fact that I found an old open container of food under my bed from someone who was there prior, it was a good experience.

My bed was made fresh daily and my towels were fluffy and clean. The surprise for me had to be the restaurant inside of the hotel. I had one of the best steaks I have ever eaten prepared by Chef Nate. I was pleasantly surprised by the food quality and affordable price. The hotel is located close to the highway and not far from Downtown Charlottesville so this made travel a snap. I would definitely stay here again (even with the empty plate experience).

Room Tip: I was placed on the second floor in a newly renovated room. I might suggest that you ask for a newl...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2013

The property is currently over 50% renovated. I was lucky enough to get a new room that had gone through the renovation. The bed quality is good and bathroom refreshed. There is ample parking and guest services are on par with other Holiday Inns. The location is great, easily within miles of everything. Would stay at this property if in the area again. ****Pet Friendly****

Room Tip: Room on the Non-highway side-Quieter
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed here to visit family on vacation. Location is great right off the highway and near all locations in c'ville. The bed was great except for the small pillows, there are four small pillows on a king bed and they are hard to get comfortable on. Overall, it was a good stay. There is a few restaurants within walking distance of hotel, within five minutes, so if you don't want to eat in the hotel restaurant, you can walk down to get some food and there is a small shopping center about a ten minute walk away for any thing you need ie toiletries etc.

Room Tip: Try to stay on side away from highway, sometimes noise on highway was irritating.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo