“Convenient location and pet-friendly!”

Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel more than once while attending concerts in Charlottesville. It is right off interstate 64 and a very short, straight shot to Charlottesville's magnificent historic downtown. The front desk personnel are friendly and professional. The lobby is clean and bright and well laid out. The elevator is oversized, perfect for travelers who use luggage carts (in plentiful supply) as we do. Our room on the fifth floor was clean, spacious, and tastefully decorated, with plusher than average carpet. Other positives: Dog friendly with plenty of grassy areas outdoors, and a well-run restaurant on site. Our negatives? Dimly lit interior corridors, low-wattage lightbulbs in the bedside lamps, inoperative bathroom sink stopper, and one unfriendly housekeeper.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

It is what it is, and it is not the Ritz. Right off the highway and had lots of road noise in the room. Major plumbing issues required us to change rooms. Restaurant bar not exactly a destination spot. Got for $100 per night on Priceline so what can I expect?

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 10, 2012

It is close to the interstate 64. It is a older hotel that has been fixed up. Room was very clean. The elevator is very slow. The parking lot needs more lights for safety reasons. The front desk staff are very good. I was confused about the coupon for members. Free $10.00 breakfast or 1000 points and two more things. I wanted the $10.00 breakfast but wanted it for 6:30. I couldn't leave the form filled out on the door because on the coupon. It's all good. Nice stay. I could hear the interstate sometimes and we were on the other side of the hotel on the 5th floor room 510.

Room Tip: We liked the 5th floor room 510. King size bed. nice desk
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just returned from staying at this Holiday Inn. The room was redecorated since our last stay. The bathrooms had not been upgraded. How can you not do both. But here is the deal. When one elevator is out of service on the first day of arrival, you would like to see that they are working on the second elevator. Wrong. One elevator was really not adequate, especially when it is a week end and you have a bus load of athletes staying at the hotel, as well. It was a full house. Fixing the elevator should have been a priority. The hotel was well located to the pedestrian mall and some great restaurants. It was also the closest hotel to Monticello and to the places we were visiting.

Room Tip: Our room was on the side by the highway. Quite aware of traffic noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is a bit tired. To begin with, one of the two elevators was out of service our entire visit (two nights). I was surprised when one of the staff told us that it had been over a week. Needless to say, it meant longer waits and crowded conditions. In one room, the sink drain-stopper wouldn't go up more than a fraction of a second, so I had to jury-rig it to stay open enough to allow the water to drain out. There was insufficient towel rack space for the three of us in our room. The breakfast was pricey for what you got.
The ventilation system could only be adjusted in 2-degree increments - at 72 is was blowing hot, at 70, it was blowing cold.
I suspect that you could do better elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear bobtreitman,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. Thank you for citing specific concerns that will help us improve on overall guest satisfaction. I'm sorry your stay was negatively affected by the elevator services, bathroom amenities, condition of the ventilation and breakfast value. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide these. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service.

Thank you again. I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I am currently staying at the Holiday Inn located in Charlottesville VA. I thought oh a Holiday Inn great! WRONG! The computers were down when I checked in, the people at the front desk did not smile once upon our arrival or during the check in process and the icing on the cake was that I'm traveling without a credit card and using cash or my debit card. Since the computers were down I had to sign a blank paper that didnt state the policy with the fine print that said an additional hold above and beyond would be debited from my account for up to 7-14 business days. I was checking my account and found out that charged me an extra $50 and went to ask why. I was talked down to at the front desk then by the manager on duty. I have never had a place either not inform me of extra charges or even have extra charges. People shouldn't be penalized for traveling without credit cards. They should also have their policy clearly stated or tell customers upon arrival who are using debit cards when their computers are down. I contacted customer services and got the spiel about them being well within their rights which I never disagreed to. I simply disagree with the fact I was not informed ahead of time so I could make other arrangements or stay at another hotel. Being I am in the customer service industry I know you need to please the customer. Being talked down to and not even getting an apology or a smile. I would leave but I got charged for a night here which will not be refunded for at least 2 days. I would have been happy with being informed ahead of time and maybe an apology. To top it off I was half way through chicken at the resturaunt on site and found it was not completely cooked. Tonight might be rough. I should have known this was a bad place when the elevator in the lobby was opening and closing all by itself for over 5 minutes.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and myself stayed at this hotel October 19 - 21, 2012 and found the hotel to be just fine! It's very convenient to Monticello and Skyline Drive. The hotel rooms are good, the people at the reception area were very helpful, especially with directions,maybe the bathrooms could use a little upgrading but all in all, the rooms were good! The hotel had three weddings and there was a UVA home football game that weekend, the hotel had a lot of guests going to all the functions, we expected to hear a lot of noise but we were pleasantly suprised how quiet it was. I would definitly stay there again if I was ever in the area!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple