“Expect nothing but basic”
Review of Econo Lodge North

Econo Lodge North
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed May 13, 2013

You will only get what you pay for here, so don't expect anything of quality here. Most, but not all staff were friendly and attentive. I had to ask for pillow cases 3 times, (there weren't any on the pillows when I arrived) and I ended up going with the office person to the linen storage area to get these. I ended up putting them on myself as it was obvious he wasn't about to do it. My room was very musty smelling. The window doesn't have a screen, so no fresh air comes in. The decor of the rooms is dated with 80's colors like dark green hotel carpet that has not aged gracefully. The furniture is old and banged up. The bathroom faucet was leaking and the sink lacked a stopper. The toilet would run occasionally. Wifi was unreliable and weak. A tv channel guide would've been a nice touch, but there wasn't one. I kept reminding myself how much I had paid for this room. If you prefer something a little less seedy, book a room at the Days Inn or Quality Inn that are just across the street, beyond the chain link fence.

Room Tip: If you don't need handicap access, try to get a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
EconoLodgeNorth, General Manager at Econo Lodge North, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Only upside of this place was it's close to the attractions. There were blood stains on one of the sheets, the shower didn't drain, mold was visible in the bathroom, and the wi-fi didn't work. The staff also left the curtains open after leaving the room, just in case anybody would like to see what was inside. I would say "cleaning staff" but I'm not sure what cleaning they do! Stay away unless you want the classic "dirty cheap motel" experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Econo Lodge North.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding room condition on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with Hosekeeping Staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Charlottesville.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Econo Lodge is hidden behind a great local fav. steakhouse. Rooms were decent, helpful staff. Meets basic requirement. I will stay here again!! WiFi was fast with great signal strength. Will definitely recommend to someone looking for good value.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to writing a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was my first & last stay at the Econo Lodge brand. Being a loyal customer of all Choice Hotel brands, I was appalled when I walked into my room to find the floor hadn't been vacuumed, the beds were made, but dirty sheets were on the bed. I checked the room high and low before I would even bring my items in the room because I was afraid of bugs. The walls were paper thin, there were stains all over the floor & chairs of the room. I pulled the linens to find a spider in my sheets, hair all over my sheets & a stain on the pillow case. The staff was very unfriendly. The only positive thing about this motel was that the wi-fi worked correctly. I don't recommend this motel to anyone....not even my worst enemy

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TheComedian823

Dear Guest,

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guest are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong, and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

We accommodate many guests each evening and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. Therefore, it is disappointing to learn that you are unhappy.

Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed. Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience the above issue may have caused.

Sincerely

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was here for 3 nights during an academic conference at UVA. The general manager was very kind and helpful, and happily changed my room to a renovated one which had a flat screen tv, large bathroom, great heat/ac, and was generally clean and comfortable( I would point out that the rooms in the back are older and not as nice.) There is free fast wifi, a little breakfast bar with fruit/instant oats/tea etc., and the staff are really happy to tell you how to get where you are going (they have maps). It was a 10 minute walk to campus, perfectly safe and on a main street.

I needed a copy of my receipt a month later (I had lost the original) and the GM kindly emailed it to me. I I think for an Econo Lodge this was a great stay and am happy to recommend it.

Room Tip: rooms in front seem to be more modern but there are some bright lights at night
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This motel meets the basic requirements. Staff were friendly. Room was clean - bed comfortable. Wi-Fi was easy to sign in to and fast. Bath tub needed refinishing, but the water pressure was good and the shower worked fine. Not very sound proof, so recommend bringing earplugs or a small fan for white noise. Surprised there was no hair dryer, but we read ahead and brought ours with us. Set your expectations in line with what one should expect from a budget motel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel is inexpensive and convenient to all the sights such as Monticello and the Pedestrian Mall but it needs some maintenance work.
The room we stayed had a tub that was peeling and either needs refinishing or replacing and a toilet that requires one to hold the handle in order to flush, also the walls & light fixtures could certainly do with a good cleaning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple