“Most Disapointing For The Money” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Boar's Head

The Boar's Head
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
London, United Kingdom
“Most Disapointing For The Money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We are writing this review on the last night of our stay and feel most disapointed with lots of small things that you would not expect from a Hotel which we thought had a good reputation. I will give you a few examples;
1. The Bed not made properly.
2. Had to phone down to reception each night as the Shampoo in the Bathroom was never replaced until we complained.
3. Toilet paper not replaced.
4. Breakfast was expensive and very basic. You get a far better Breakfast at any chain hotel.
5. Room a long way from the lift with no offer of any help with our bags.
6. Reception had little idea on Local Attractions

Room Tip: Do not stay in Ednam Hall
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lisa Hertfordsh... L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Let me preface this by saying I got a special rate for staying here in conjunction with an event at UVA, so the value was absolutely excellent. I heard this hotel can be quite expensive on peak weekends, so I might have felt a bit differently if I had paid the regular rate, whatever that is.

The inn is a historic place, but the rooms have been completely modernized. My room had a pleasing Virginia-esque decor and was clean and bright. As an inn guest, you get free access to the sports club, which is where the UVA tennis and squash teams practice. The fitness facility is extensive, and you can even participate in a long list of classes offered there. Both of the classes I did were fun and worthwhile.

I got room service for dinner one night and found it to be quite pricey to be in the middle of Virginia (again, perhaps my expectations were skewed because my room rate was lower than normal?). It was $65, and I didn't even order a full entree...

The location was interesting in that it wasn't in "downtown" Charlottesville nor right by campus. It's about a 10 minute drive to the center of campus from the inn. I didn't mind this for my purposes (I had free designated parking when I needed to go to campus), but it might be a hassle for others.

Overall, I had a nice stay and will stay here again when I need to visit UVA.

• Stayed September 2012
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We met up with another couple here for a long weekend. The property is lovely and very well maintained for an Inn this old. Our room was 30% larger and cost 30% less than Keswick. We enjoyed a relaxing weekend touring, wine tasting and spa services. The pace was great for us. I would hesitate to book during a football weekend, unless, of course, you are UVA fan.

Room Tip: The rooms are spread out and can be fairly far from the amenities so be sure to ask. We had a choic...
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband stayed for two days at the Boars Head. He returned from Japan after two years. We traveled to many of the local wineries during our stay. The hot air balloon ride was wonderful. The best part of the trip.

Stayed September 2012
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were looking forward to our stay here having read other reviews and seen beautiful photos of the grounds. And the grounds are even prettier than some of the pictures. The fitness center is a great asset included in the price of the room which was reasonable. And the spa, tho small, had a variety of services in addition to massages. The aloe wrap really made my dry skin quite soft!
Several e-mails had been sent to coordinate two reservations for our two rooms. I had specifically stated that a ground floor room or room easily accessible to elevator was required in addition to it being close to parking to accomodate an injured foot. We were shown to a ground floor room; however, heed was not taken when assigning this as the building was on a slope, and access to this floor required navigating up and down a flight of steps with the sole elevator in the building a far walk away. Arrangements were made for another room, and we were then given connecting rooms. The king sized portion of the room was large and spacious which we later figured out was due to it being handicapped accessible. The connecting double room to it used to be part of a suite, and it felt like you were being in a closet as the quarters were quite cramped. We were then given yet a third room for the double that while on the same floor was not that close to the king sized room of our other party member. Please, note the bathrooms are small and lack counter space. There is a good supply of toiletries; but if you need more than a few towels, you'll need to special request them as there weren't many in the bathroom.
I returned to the room around 3pm following an afternoon at the spa, but the room had not yet been made. When I called the front desk I was informed that they had until 4pm to do so. This is the first time that I've been in a facility where a room had not been tended so late in the day. Waiting for the room to be attended caused an alteration in our plans.
We did enjoy the balcony where we had a "picnic" supper one evening (hint - stop by the Bellair Market right down the road for reasonably priced take-out and sandwiches), but be sure to bring insect repellent, as the mosquitos were prevalent.
I'd recommend the breakfast buffet for at least one morning, but you may want to try other local places to add more to your Charlottesville experience. We enjoyed bagels at Bodo's for a good valued breakfast.

Room Tip: Speak to reservations directly instead of e-mail communication to learn more about the room location...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We were looking for an affordable place to unwind and found it here. Warm weather and the outdoor pool, a great bar, and excellent fitness center coupled with the price ($160 a night) made for a nice 2 day trip. Staff were extremely courteous. Michael at the bar makes the best mojito I have ever had and has a nice list of original martinis.

Not so sure I would stay in winter as there is no indoor pool or hottub.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I have been going to the Boars Head for many years. It is a wonderful place to stay. The service is great and the amenities and spa are first rate. The staff is very helpful. I highly recommend this for a laid back and uncomplicated stay in Charlottesville.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple