“I would definitely stay here again.”

200 South Street Inn
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Martinsville, Virginia
“I would definitely stay here again.”
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Nice to have home away from home. Stayed in building next door and it was so quiet. Older charming buildings. Great location to outdoor Mall district full of shoppes and restaurants. Great restaurant right across street. Would stay here again. Tappas with a twist.

• Stayed July 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
San Francisco
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We stayed in room 22 in the cottage. It was basic but clean. My biggest complaint is that there was only one chair so with two guests, there was no place for the second to sit other than the bed. The bathroom is down a small set of stairs.

I would recommend staying in the main house so as to have a sitting area. The cottage is 100% guest rooms with no sitting area.

Breakfast was carb-heavy but tasty. The cookies in the lobby were excellent.

The location is the best feature, as it is a short walk to the arcade that is full of restaurants and bars.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed July 27, 2010

A classic bed and breakfast. Kind and helpful staff, unique home. Enjoy a great continental breakfast each morning with homemade baked goods, fruit, yogurt, cereals, etc. Unwind with wine and cheese each night. Original building from 1850's renovated more recently in the 1980's. If you want a modern hotel, this place is not for you. The AC unit in our room was very loud and TV small and outdated. Fortunately we don't watch TV; we had computers and the complimentary wireless service was fine. Also of note, the Inn is a short walk to Charlottesville's main drag, the Downtown Mall, with shops and plenty of restaurants nearby.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Hendersonville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 27, 2010

200 South Street Inn is an ideal place to call home in Charlottesville. It is convenient for walking downtown yet maintains a very private, cozy atmosphere, comfortable and beautiful throughout. They serve excellent bakery items, at least some of which are made on site, giving the place a glorious fragrance.
I had to ask the staff for some particular help with storage and 24-hour access to medication and they were great about it, giving me the feeling that they were absolutely delighted to have a chance to help me out.
If you have difficulty climbing stairs, be sure to address the issue when you call for reservations because most of the rooms are accessed via stairways, including some long flights of wooden steps outdoors.
One other item of note might be the two trains that pass by in the night behind the back fence, and at least one during the day. Our room was at the back of the house so the noise woke me up (once) and then the soft rumbly vibes put me back to sleep. My husband never heard them at all. I like trains, and these were relatively short and didn't blow whistles, so I add them to the "local charm" tally.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Our first night in Charlottesville and this was an ideal location to enjoy wine and cheese (not have to drive) and walk to the many dinner options at the Mall (open air street, not typical mall). Excellent reception and breakfast

Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed here while attending a family party. Usually we stay with family, so we viewed this as a good opportunity to enjoy Charlottesville as visitors rather than residents. The location can't be beat, right off the mall and in walking distance of many restaurants. Our suite was large and easily accomodated the two of us and our two kids. Unfortunately, there were ants in the bathroom and the hallway smelled like an old, musty house. We didn't have enough towels teh first night and the second night we had no bath towels at all. Everyone was really nice, but it took a trip to the other house to get towels when we found our son towelng off with a wash cloth.

The breakfast was also a a let down. There was a nice array of cereals, breads and fruits but most of them had nuts or raisins, so the kids had very little to eat. We appreciated the effort at variety, but I think at least one cereal could have been plain. Even for us, it was a little too much. There was a very nice area to eat outside, but it was just too hot so we squeezed into their small living room. The second morning we went out to breakfast.

Everyone was very nice, but no one seemed in charge. I'll admit I'm not into inns, but I still think they could improve a little on details like pest control, towels and accomodating people at breakfast.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Recently stayed at 200 South Street Inn and was quite underwhelmed. I was just going to let it go, but then I received an email from the inn inviting me to write a review. So here goes...

This was our third time at the inn. Our previous visits had been about 10 years ago, and at that time, we enjoyed it very much. Not sure if there has been a change in ownership or if the economic downturn has taken its toll or what, but we left unimpressed this time, unfortunately. In addition to the overall need for some general maintenance as mentioned by other reviewers, here are some of the lowlights from our stay:

Parking: This was a major frustration for us. The inn's parking lot was overflowing with double parked cars. Because there was a concert downtown, there was no street parking available. We eventually found a space in a public lot across the street, but no one who worked at the inn could tell us whether our car would be towed if we left it there overnight. They told us we could park in a public garage a few blocks away, but that it didn't open until 11 a.m. the next morning (we needed to leave by 9 a.m.). The night manager told us that there must be non-guests using the lot because there is normally plenty of parking. Sorry, but it's not my fault that the lot isn't more carefully monitored, and it's also not my fault that you can't tell me whether I can leave my car overnight in the public lot. So basically I had to get out of bed to move my car from the public lot to the street after the concert ended early in the morning. That's not cool.

Sleep quality: The housekeeper didn't bother to check whether the previous guest has turned off the alarm clock, so we were treated with a 6 a.m. alarm on Saturday. But hey, that's ok, because the train rolling through behind the house around 5 a.m. (literally sounded like it was in our room) had already awakened us.

Bathroom: You know those bathrooms that are so worn that no matter how hard you scrub they just don't look clean? That's what you can expect at 200 South Street. This bathroom was either pretty scuzzy or in desperate need of an update. I *think* it was the latter because the rest of the facility seemed quite clean. But nevertheless, my wife refused to walk on the bathroom floor in her bare feet because it grossed her out.

Breakfast: Totally average. Basically a cold continental breakfast. Maybe I've been spoiled by other B&B's that serve truly gourmet breakfasts, but at $200+ a night in the middle of the Virginia, I expected more than a scone and some fruit. Maybe my expectations were just out of line.

I will say that the location is great since it's only two blocks to the pedestrian mall. I assume that the location is what you're paying for here. If you go in with the right expectations, then you'll be fine. In the meantime, as others have mentioned, even some minor updates would really go a long long way.