“Excellent customer service!”

200 South Street Inn
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed August 29, 2014

I stayed in Room #6 which is absolutely beautiful - very spacious with a four-poster bed, fire place, etc - everything one could hope for in a Southern inn! The continental breakfast was delicious, and having cookies and fruit available 24/7 was a lovely touch. The reason for my title re their excellent customer service is because I was originally placed in Room #4, which honestly gave me the creeps for some reason - I was afraid that tripadvisor had steered me wrong for the first time ever. It’s on the ground floor, next to the exit door, with dirty casement windows and a horrific tartan plaid carpet - the only thing nice about it was the Waverly pattern shower curtain. My gut went into a knot and red flags went off all over the place. I’m NOT a complainer at all and I feel totally comfortable traveling by myself, but I just couldn’t stay in that room. I was ready to head out to a "hotel-no-tell" if I had to - that’s how intense my fight-or-flight instinct was. I went upstairs to the front desk and asked if they possibly had another room available and when they showed me Room #6, I almost cried for joy! However, it was more expensive than Room #4, but I guess since they could tell I was so freaked out, they gave me a discount, so it didn’t end up being too much more. In the morning, I spoke with the owner re my concerns about Room #4 and she was over-the-top understanding and receptive of my suggestions on how to improve the room. In conclusion, I HIGHLY recommend the 200 South Street Inn. I enjoyed the rest of my visit - ditto on all the rest of the reviews!!!

Room Tip: Do not book Room #4 unless it is renovated as of 8/25/14.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed August 27, 2014

you check in with the smell of baking cookies and fresh cookies RIGHT THERE. Nicely restored terrific old four-square house with some other rooms in the "cottage." Everything as it should be plus the cookies, cheese and wine in the cocktail hour, and a v. nice breakfast. Our second stay was just one night; the first was two nights. It will be our regular when we visit the offspring at UVa. Some of Charlottesville booming food scene within an easy stroll. The railroad is at the bottom of the garden but I didn't notice trains. (But I really love the sound of trains so it wouldn't have bothered me had I noticed :))

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Judith C
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We've stayed here twice and would be going back except it's full when we plan to return. It's an old house with creaky floors but everything works as well as a new hotel and there's plenty of privacy.
It's 2 short blocks from the mall and their shops, bars and restaurants. It's not walking distance to the campus but I prefer to get away from that madness.
Cookies at night are worth waiting for and making a second trip to the lobby is known to happen. breakfast is fresh breads and fruit and a leisurely morning with coffee on a big wrap around porch. parking is easy and private; rare for a college town.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We were in town for one night for a wedding and didn't want to pay for a two-night minimum at other hotel blocks in the area. We were able to find a clean, comfortable room for under $200 / night. The staff was polite and welcoming. And while the continental breakfast didn't sound like much, it completely hit the spot the next morning with house-made granola, fresh baked scones and biscuits and fresh squeezed orange juice. While there isn't a proper dining or sitting room, the wrap around porch provided a welcome place to sit while waiting for friends and for breakfast.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 21 and never heard the train!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We just spent three delightful nights at the South Street Inn. From the first telephone conversation making the last minute reservation to our final goodbyes on Saturday morning, everything was wonderful. We were just going to stay one night in Charlottesville before heading out but we enjoyed our night at the inn so much, we just kept asking if they had room for us "one more night!"

The inn itself is a beautifully restored historic home full of antiques from England and Belgium. The rooms are very comfortable with everything you could need for a comfortable night. The breakfast is continental and delicious--so many different breakfast breads, yogurts, fruit, juices.

We wanted something close to the pedestrian mall downtown so that we could walk there--the inn is just 2 short blocks from all of the wonderful restaurants and downtown shops. We ate outside each evening at a different local restaurant--each restaurant has outside patio seating under the large shade trees on the pedestrian mall--so beautiful! The downtown area is vibrant and active with couples and families well into the night. We could walk back to the inn feeling completely safe even late at night!

Thanks for a wonderful three days!

Room Tip: They tell you about the train noise and advise which rooms to avoid if you are a light sleeper. It...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We stayed in Room 24 in this charming Hotel on our Virginia Tour. Having left Shenandoah this was our road stop on the way to Virginia Beach. We 4 travellers from Ireland stayed for 2 nights. Our room was excellent lots of space for the 4 of us. Train wasn`t an issue, it adds to the feel!
Very friendly people running the hotel, nice central location 5 minutes to Historic Walking Mall with great food choices. Spent a day in Monticello, great trip, and nice to fall into very comfortable bed at night. South Street Inn was in my humble opinion...faultless!

Room Tip: Don`t worry about train noise...after a full day you`ll be so tired it`s not an issue.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Noel G
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We stayed one night. People are very nice and welcoming. My room was in the building next to the main one, in the back. Train noise is awkward and if you have a light sleep, this place is not for you.
Bathroom was not clean. A dirty towel was left hanging on the door, bathtub looked pretty dirty, same as bathroom floor. Bad quality amenities.
The room was ok. Breakfast was bad: uncomfortable seating, no bread, only sweets, flavored yogurt by Chobani a main GMO brand, some fruit and some cereal. Overall not something you expect at a B&B.
There is free wifi.
I would not go back here.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple