“Wonderful Place”

200 South Street Inn
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I loved our one night stay at this Inn. Wonderful room, great wine and cheese reception, friendly service, and hearty breakfast. The only down side is the train noise at night, there were at least four trains while we were there. I love trains, so for me it was actually kind of cool . Train or not, it was a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank B_Alaska

Reviewed October 14, 2012

A nice place to be. The charming style of the old house is real plus.
The beds were comfortable (with blankets and bed linen).During the night, the freight train woke us up by its sound and vibrations and the train passed each of the three nights.
Internet was available (protected WiFi) and the password was part of the welcome documents.
Breakfast was very good. A set of cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruits, several toasts and cakes next to tea and american coffee (too weak for European tastes). Eating irons were real (not of plastic). The breakfast room was a bit small; next to the buffet, there were few tables and seat opportunities. So people also took their breakfast outside to the porch.
Every day at 4pm, there was cheese and wine available. Three, four type of cheeses were available of good quality. The wine was ok but still a bit of a disappointment. Virginia produces good wine so we were expecting to taste some local wine there. In future, I hope to see there good local wine.
The staff was friendly and helpful. We arrived a bit late (announced), so all the doucments and keys were available at the front door in an envelope.
However, the next morning, we did kind of expect the manager or representative to introduce him/herself quickly to us. That's something to work on.
Parking space is available. It's possible however, the cars park in such a way leaving could be hard.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AndreasFromCH
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights with my sister for a Jag Corp ceremony at UVA. We stayed in room # 1 because it had two twin beds. The room was on the bottom level, right off the parking area, with a nice yard with rod iron table and chairs for our afternoon wine that was provided daily from 5-7:00. Homemade chocolate chip cookies were available throughout the day. Homemade breads in the morning were delicious. There is a shuttle to campus, but we enjoyed the walk.. There are an abundance of restaurants within walking distance. The staff was extremely accommodating, printing out directions, offering advice on local sights and even providing an extra bottle of wine at 7:30 when my son arrived. I would stay here over any Hampton, Mariott, etc when in the area. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rsrl09
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was my second time staying at South Street Inn. My first time staying was when my husband and I were first married. We stayed for two days and we loved everything about the Inn. This time I treated my Mom for a all girls trip and we booked a cottage. When we arrived at the Inn, the lady who was checking us in asked me if there was any reason in particular why I booked a cottage room instead. I told her since I was paying for the girls trip with my Mom, I wasn't looking to spend as much as some of the others room were going for. She said that she would like to put us in the main house as a free upgrade because it might rain and she wouldn't want us to have to walk back and forth. What a GREAT surprise!! My Mom loved everything about the Inn. We love the cookies, breakfast, wine reception, the location, etc. We will be coming back very soon! This time it will be back with my husband to celebrate 6 years of marriage!! A couple of restaurant suggestions: Fleurie (Dinner)--Wonderful! Christian's pizza (quick bite)--Big slices of pizza with fresh toppings! Petite pois- Awesome (get the mussels)! Mono Loco--delicious house made margaritas!! Many other great restaurants!

Room Tip: I recommend booking a room that is closest to the front of the house, only because the train comes b...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Beachykeen13
Reviewed October 9, 2012

8 couples who were going to a wedding in Charlottesville stayed there last weekend. Nice bedrooms, and public rooms were great places to congregate. Breakfast was fine. Orange jiuce was fresh and sweet. Our group eat dozens of their ever present home made cookies.
The location near the downtown mall was a big plus.

Room Tip: Ask for room above ground level.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank stephen h
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This Inn has old fashioned charm. Original wood flooring, wrap around porches . We stayed in a suite which had pieces of antique furniture as well as traditional. Included was a flat screen with cable, beautiful bedding and two gas fireplaces. They offer a afternoon reception of wine/cheese. Coffee and a small breakfast is provided in the a.m. Their delicious homemade cookies are available all day. 2-3 blocks and you arrive at the Pedestrian Mall. This is a charming place to stay with a most interesting history. A girls finishing school, to a bawdy house, then a rooming house to a Inn.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We have stayed at the South Street Inn several times. The rooms are very comfortable, the location is great, near the Mall and across the street from Farmer's Market on weekends, the staff is helpful and friendly...and the homemade cookies are out of this world! A great find.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family