“Good, Comfortable Stop!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

I visited the Charles City Tavern while on vacation. Nice weather allowed porch dining, which was rather enjoyable. My husband had jambalaya and I had the shrimp and grits. Both dishes were quite good, as were the homemade rolls and butter. Be sure to stop when you're in the area.

1  Thank Sallie G

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Great food..salads, soups for lunch were extraordinary. This is not far from the Berkeley Plantation..near Petersburgh..but the place is 'remote.'

1  Thank susanne lenz l
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We loved this place and thought that the atmosphere and the roses blooming were very pleasant. Everyone thought their food was wonderful and we had good service also. We will visit them again next trip.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I had been to Berkeley Plantation after leaving Williamsburg and were ready to head back to our home in Halifax County. A young woman at the Plantation suggested two nearby restaurants, one of which was the Charles City Tavern. We weren't dressed for fine dining and almost chose the other restaurant but when I reminded my husband that it was our anniversary we decided to try the Charles City Tavern for brunch. The food was fabulous. I had a frittata while my husband ordered the oysters. We had fried green tomatoes as an appetizer and had the bread pudding with buttermilk ice cream for dessert. This review format asked if I would rate it as one of the best meals I've had and I finally decided that it was. My most memorable meals include a crawfish etouffee in New Orleans, cioppino in San Francisco, wiener snitzel by the Mosel, tempura in Tokyo, spaghetti bolognese in Florence, and a killer fish and chips in Brighton. This meal has to be included because everything was perfect - oysters, frittata, tomatoes, bread pudding, the coffee and the service. Definitely worth driving out of your way. We'll find a way to go back.
And - no - they didn't know it was our anniversary. The atmosphere was a little less than perfect as the owners were loudly discussing a possible wedding with a couple next to us - but that was hardly their fault.

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

we went for Valentine's Day. The place was packed and the service was terrible. Many people left without one of the courses of their pre fixe menu ever being delivered to the table. The people next to us never got their bottle of wine until they finished their entrees. The server knew nothing about the menu, how it was prepared or what it was served with.The food was okay but certainly not worth the cost. I did enjiy my oysters. However $40 pp meals should not be served in plastic, disposable dishes.The atmosphere, the table setting,the music & its volume were all very casual yet the prices were very high end. We will not return.