“A Hidden Treasure”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This was one of the best meals we had during our long weekend. What a surprise to find such fresh and "different" food in the middle of nowhere. The staff was friendly and attentive. The location was quite peaceful. The only thing I could have done without was having a cat rub up against my legs. Everything we ate was delicious, from the pecan crusted brie cheese appetizer to my farm meatloaf, and the portions were quite generous. My husband could almost not finish his steak with blue cheese...almost! Wish I could have left room for dessert. Highly recommend.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Enjoyed Easter lunch today. It was a three course meal with either soup or salad; several entrees to choose from and several desserts. I had the salad, pork loin and pecan bread pudding drizzled in bourbon caramel sauce. The meal was delicious. My dad, sister, and nephew had the crab cakes and raved about them. Mom had the quiche and couldn't say enough. The rolls served prior to the meal were warm and delicious. It was $30 each and included a 20 percent gratuity. The wait staff was attentive and portions were huge. Will definitely plan on going back for another special occasion. The regular menu has different choices where you don't have to have three courses.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had toured two plantations around Charles city and it was time to Eat! The Berkeley guide recommended the Charles city tavern and one other...we chose the tavern and we are so glad we did...while we sipped our perseco, we listened in on several conversations,which were basically summed up as " this is delicious, they don't have this good in Chicago" what were they gagaing about? Gumbo! Well if they liked gumbo so much, how much better could their meatloaf be?it was sooo good..combo of beef,veal and lamb...husband had the special pork with cherry sauce and a side of grits that has to be the best he and I have tried...left with a slice of their champagne poppy seed cake..which we devoured in our condo....it's worth a trip from wmsburg for a leisurely lunch.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

This restaurant has been a favorite spot to visit each time we visit Williamsburg, VA. Our evening on March28 was no exception....still the best restaurant of all and well worth the drive ....also great for lunch when exploring the plantations on route 5.
Pecan crusted brie appetizer followed by crab cakes, a 16 oz ribeye steak then dessert of bourbon bread pudding with Jack Daniels sauce...SCRUMPTIOUS!!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

The Charles City Tavern is a pleasant enough place to have lunch. It's in a comfortable older house, with a nice enclosed porch as an option to eat on when the weather is sufficiently warm. The earnest owners/staff seem to work hard and mean well. But for a place that is by no means cheap for lunch (with tip, our bill for two came to nearly $70, and that was for two main courses, one dessert, a beer, and a glass of wine), things could run a little more smoothly. Service was very friendly but quite slow, and unnecessarily so: why not bring the wine and beer menu at the same time as the food menu? When the specials are being described, their price really should be a part of the description, especially when that price is significantly higher than that of dishes listed on the regular menu. When one asks for whichever beer has the lowest alcohol content (I was driving), one really shouldn't be presented with an already opened bottle that clearly shows an alcohol content of 6.2% on the label (there are plenty of beers out there at 5% and less). In short, the operation needs polishing for the restaurant to live up to what appear to be its aspirations to gourmet status. Our jambalaya special, at $17, was fine, but no better (and no worse) than many another jambalaya I've had. If there were a category "good" between "very good" and "average" on Trip Advisor rankings, that's what I'd probably give this restaurant. But there isn't, and I don't think it warrants a "very good." Hence the "average" rating. But if you're visiting one of the plantations in the Charles City area, this may well be the best bet for a meal -- there didn't seem to be many other options available.

2  Thank Travel1000Glen