“Fun Local Fare in an Unexpected Place!”
Review of Picante!

Picante!
Ranked #8 of 154 Restaurants in Chantilly
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional Mexican fare offered backed by generous-sized portions! Picante! The Real Taco is also the spot to be on Friday nights, when our tequila lounge continues to be transformed into a salsa dance party starting at 8:30!
Falls Church, Virginia
“Fun Local Fare in an Unexpected Place!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I had the pleasure of a lunch with a friend, who had been bringing his family here for several years. Quite understandable after a first-hand impression of how they treated their customers, how each order was carefully recorded, and how each meal was served in a timely manner. This is real Mexican food prepared by those who understand and appreciate what such a good meal means. No need to take a second mortgage out to feed a family here, either! I can see coming back many times in the future! Not sure about reservations, but I can tell you I'd call ahead to see how crowded the place is for lunch or dinner - and with good reason!

• Visited November 2013

Mc Lean
“I was disappointed”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Went there for lunch with family on a Saturday and it was empty - now I know why. The chips were stale, salsa made with canned tomatoes - ugh! I sent the sangria back (tasted like old wine), the taco salad had canned rather than fresh tomatoes in it - no excuse for a mexican restaurant! Even the chains do it better! I won't be back.

• Visited October 2013
Herndon, Virginia
“Not impressed”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The service was not good, the waiter neglected to bring my tortillas or salad dressing. The food was OK. The chicken was dry. Can get better food and service elsewhere such as Uncle Julio's in Reston, or Guapo's in Herndon.

• Visited September 2013
“Fajitas and burritos are yummy!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The portions are huge - fajitas for two had plenty for Mom and two school-aged children. Dad ordered a burrito and it looked filling although it didn't come with any rice, beans or sides. Although I think there was a bit of a language barrier, server was very nice and attentive. We will definitely be going back for the fajitas!

• Visited May 2013
Lansdowne, Virginia
“Not real Mexican food and not that good!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Wasn't too impressed with much here. The service was about the best thing there. The chips tasted stale and the salsa seemed like it was store bought. Got two chicken enchiladas, one with red sauce and one with green. Both very bland and the enchiladas had no flavor at all. Chicken was very watery and the thing that really grossed me out were the beans. They were absolutely disgusting! I can't even describe the taste. It was like they were from cans and they had been around the aluminum of the can too long. I couldn't even eat them. Absolutely gross. The food really lacked real Mexican flavor, actually any flavor and I won't be returning. One experience can ruin it forever and this one did! I don't recommend!

• Visited May 2013
Guillermo M, Owner at Picante!, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
We at Picante! do try to overcome the misconception about Mexican cuisine. We do alter some of our recipes to make them more acceptable to a local palette, ie. lettuce and cheese on tacos--something uncommon to a real Mexican taco bought on the street in any Mexican city. Most Mexican cuisine is not "fiery", but the table salsas can be! We use fresh dried beans and cook them gradually with an herb used in Mexico for beans and soups. We do not use lard in their preparation for health reasons and the lard in the US is filtered and refined so much that is tasteless, like Crisco. Many restaurants use lots of oil and onions to flavor their beans. We feel that beans should taste like beans. Simple flavors of Mexico. Our food is fresh and hand-crafted. Our flour tortillas are made here on the premises. Most guests love our table salsa and many have suggested that we bottle it.