New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Chantilly

Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Chantilly
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Chantilly
Wisconsin, United States
“Nice rooms, polite staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We stayed at the Extended Stay in Chantilly for 6 months while my husband worked in Alexandria at the USPTO. I'd never stayed at any extended stay hotel before and I was quite happy with the room. The bed was a little high and hard, but the couch was comfy, the kitchen clean and well-stocked. There was plenty of room for us. Our room over looked the pool which, during winter, was covered, but we had a great view of the beautiful cherry trees and redbuds when they bloomed in spring. The grounds are quite pretty, with a water retention pond, a sidewalk surrounding it and benches. It is close to Dulles and if you like planes like we do you get an awesome view of them coming in for landings.

I had major surgery while we were there and no one bothered us. The staff was considerate and polite. Naima, the front desk manager, was the absolute sweetest.

My only complaints were that the AC would only cool the room to 60 degrees while the heater in winter sent us running for tank tops and shorts at the same temperature; the stairs were always dirty and a couple of times there was vomit in the stairwells when my husband walked the dog; the telephone in our room didn't work for most of our stay and though I complained many times no one ever fixed it; they had a lot of construction linemen staying there and for the most part many were polite, there were some who were noisy, loud and drunk. One particular individual had been given a room above us and he made it a point of slamming doors and stomping on the floor. When I complained I was told others had complained as well. After he left we had no more problems. For the most part the walls are thick so you don't hear anything in adjoining rooms.

The hotel is very pet-friendly, but we learned that very few people pick-up after their pets. There is a dispenser available to provide waste-bags but it was never filled. So you really have to watch where you walk, especially around the pond where everyone walks their dog.

Breakfast is muffins, fruit, coffee and granola bars. It works in a pinch. Since you have a kitchen in your room we just bought our own coffee-maker. There is no ice machine at the hotel, but the refrigerators have ice-markers. Ours wasn't hooked up, but my husband figured it out.

All in all our stay was very good. We have since relocated to Wisconsin, but if we were ever to stay in the DC Metro area again, I would stay here.

Room Tip: If you want a quiets room, ask for one towards the back on one of the wings facing the pool and the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Augusta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here because we had been traveling for 23 hours. We got to the room and fell asleep almost immediately. First thing we noticed was that only about 2/3 of the lights actually worked, and it didn't seem to be all that clean, but we were tired. The only reason it got a 2 and not a 1 was because the check in/check out staff did try to be helpful.

We woke up pretty early because we were still on European time and HOLY SMOKES was this place disgusting. I have plenty of photos to add, but let it be known that I doubt a broom, vacuum, or any dusting occurred prior to occupying the space. There was even some sort of animal vomit in the corner (see pic). The shower floor was brown (I used the shower shoes I used in community bathrooms at hostels around Europe). The shower head had a red gunk all over it (wish I had seen it before the shower). The surfaces were covered in dirt and drink stains of occupants past. The coffee maker has white hard stuff all over it (possibly they didn't cover it before blowing paint on the backsplash area). The mirrors all had a weird film, or in the bathroom, the mirror was spotted with toothpaste and other occupant's funk. There was some slime on the wall between the refrigerator and dish cabinet. Speaking of dishes, these were DISGUSTING. I'm sure my cup had dried milk in it and there was no visible dish soap to clean it. Finally, what's with allowing residents to put stickers on your mirrors and walls and not pulling them off?!?

There are several ways this can be improved. It is obvious that the cleaning staff have no basic standard of cleanliness and the management conducts zero walk through inspections to spot check. I recommend that the leadership of the cleaning staff be fired. Second, there should be significant training regarding expectations among those employees that stay. Management must be willing to hold people accountable for not meeting the standard. If management is unable to set a standard and hold accountability, then management should be replaced. Finally, a daily checklist should be provided and strictly followed for cleaning staff in addition to monthly or quarterly deep clean checklists.

I recommend avoiding this hotel for the time being. With significant process improvement it could be an ok value, but not in it's current condition. I intend to request a refund later since the guy working at 6 am couldn't give me one. I will also submit this review to other appropriate outlets and to their corporate office if it exists.

Avoid avoid avoid!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Satellite Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

The maid apparently can't see the thick dirt on top of the tiles in the shower, or the paint chipping from the walls and ceiling. The building engineer apparently can't figure out why the pipes make so much noise in the showers, or why the burners don't seat properly in the electric stove. The front desk apparently doesn't understand how the wifi works when you pay for upgraded speed but don't receive it, nor do they know what to do when you tell them you're checking out early. It's not a bad hotel, but there are little annoyances that start to add up to a generally poor experience. Sadly, it is the best of the three hotels I've tried in the area in this price range. So, I will have to pay more to get that "home-away-from-home" experience or stop travelling to Chantilly.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank George D
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I generally do not like to read or post on these survey sites because of the common unsubstantiated negative energy that resides on the forums when someone else disagrees. That being said, I would like to give this hotel a thank you.

I was not impressed with the outdated property. In fact, I caught myself debating over checking out early minutes after checking in. But that's material thinking. So I swallowed my pride, closed my eyes and rested.

Within 15 minutes, the kind gentleman that checked me in, Omid, called my room to ask if there was anything he could do to make my stay more comfortable. His genuine tone of voice and prompt resolution to my blanket request may seem insignificant to the average person- but I was floored. I stress the word genuine because that is the best way to illustrate his hospitality. He answered all of my grumpy questions with a charming, and respectful, answer.

I probably will not return to this hotel for my own valid reasons, but would recommend it to anyone looking for affordable extended stay living in northern Virginia. The material things in the room are certainly outdated, but the genuine hospitality from start to end of my stay was priceless. So at last, Thank You.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Chantilly, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Sarah - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. Please know our staff is working to enhance our offerings for all of our guests to enjoy moving forward. Still, I am glad that they took such great care of you during your stay.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at 703-263-3361. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

As the title indicates, I checked out right after checking in. This stay was a disaster right from the start, and although I usually start out all of my reviews with something positive about a property, I really have nothing nice to say about this one. If you have a short attention span and want the abridged version of my review of this hotel, here it is: Do not stay here; it is a waste of your time and money.

This Extended Stay America is right next to another Extended Stay America. It was recently acquired from Homestead Studio Suites, and when I say recently, I mean in the last couple months. All of the signage from the Homestead Studio Suites is still posted, so when you drive up, you assume that your hotel is the other Extended Stay America because it is the only one labeled as an Extended Stay America.

So after trying to check in to the wrong hotel, as I imagine many people do, I made my way over to this place. My first impression was, "This is a motel, not a hotel. This is not what I thought I was getting." I never would have booked a room here if I had known that the rooms open to the outside. I do not feel safe in these types of accommodations as a solo female traveler, and I felt as if I had been deceived by the pictures because you really can't tell that it is a motel.

At any rate, I checked in at the front desk. The front desk worker was nice to me but very young and she said a four-letter word that starts with [--] in front of me to describe a customer on the phone. Profanity does not offend me, but it was very unprofessional. And it was also unprofessional on the part of the hotel that she did not have a supervisor on duty that night. I know that she did not have a supervisor on duty because when I called down to ask a question a little bit later, she said that her "lead" would not be in until the morning and she did not know the answer because she was new.

After wandering around in the dark for 5-10 minutes trying to find my room, I finally found it, and I wish I had taken pictures to post on here to illustrate what I saw. The room was not clean. There were visible fingerprints all over the outside of the microwave. There was grime buildup around the top of the toilet bowl. There was a crack in the mirrored closet doors. Furthermore, the carpet was dingy and the bathtub looked dirty as well. Although I did not see bedbugs, there were lots of little hairs on the sheets when I pulled back the comforter, and that was the last straw for me. If all of that wasn't enough, there was no dishwasher or oven even though this hotel is supposed to be for extended stays.

As I indicated above, this place is not worth your money. Thankfully, my money was refunded, but you should avoid the headache and stay at the Wingate. It has comparable pricing and is much nicer.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Motowngirl77
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Overpriced for sub-quality stay. I would have rather stayed at the WinGate less than a mile away.

Bad breakfast, noisy pets, non-working water (!!), leftover/dirty dishes, bad A/C (too hot or cold), stained carpets, leftover belongings, very musty smell.

This made my trip utterly miserable!!!

Avoid this hotel unless it is a last resort.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Chantilly, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that That your room and our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that I am working with our staff to improve our offerings overall and will keep your feedback in mind as we continue to make updates to our breakfast options.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

It is cheap, but wow, chicken bones on the stairs, toilet seat was for a round bowl, this was a oval bowl, didnt fit, mold in tub, very dirty, did check for bed bugs but found none so we stayed, only reason we didnt leave, a/c was cold only setting didnt work, stay somewhere else

• Stayed July 2013
      Cleanliness
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Chantilly, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that the level of cleanliness throughout our entire hotel was not in line with our company's standards. To ensure this does not happen again, I am working with the housekeeping staff on ways to improve our cleaning procedures and inspection policies.