I stayed at this hotel for five days, and booked it not only for the Tripadvisor reviews but because with a five-day booking they knock your rate down by $50.
On the plus side, it is very convenient to Dulles and one exit from the Air and Space Museum. It is near a CVS Drug store and a grocery store, and some good restaurants as well as fast food (Wendys, Taco Bell/Pizza Hut/KFC, etc.) Its more of a residential area though so dont expect the sit-down places to stay open much past 10pm--on Sunday night I ended up at the IHOP down the street with about 40 screaming teenagers.
The hotel has a pool for which they employ a lifeguard, and have a tiny strip of lawn for kids to play in, as well as a few toys for the kids laying around. Both are located right off of the parking lot though, so the swim is with exhaust fumes and you'd have to be very attentive with your kids. There is a walking trail nearby, and the exercise room was tiny but decent. The area is very quiet.
My room was pretty clean--my only concerns were the dirty bathroom floor and the room smelled vaguely of cigarettes despite the "non-smoking" status of the hotel. The kitchen was nice, stocked with dishes, small stove and microwave, and a full-sized refrigerator--they even remembered ice cube trays for the freezer.
The free internet worked fine though it could be extremely slow in the morning, to the point where it was just easier to use my phone to check email. And they have the TV sitting on a rotating platform so you can watch it from bed or the living area, which was a nice touch as well.
My main complaint was that for the amount of money they charge for the rooms ($189/night or $139 if you stay five days or more) I expected FAR more than what I got. The "morning snack" was a half-size bottle of orange or apple juice, and a barely edible muffin or danish--the kind you get at a gas station on a road trip.
Worst though was the total lack of housekeeping services. During my stay, a housekeeper came to my room only twice to "freshen" the room. That translates to emptying the trash bins and replacing the cheap rough cotton towels. One day they made the bed, the second I had thrown it together myself and they left it that way. You are only entitled to a full cleaning (vacuuming, changing your bed linens, cleaning the bathroom, etc.) if you stay for more than a week. I don't mind not changing my linens for environmental reasons, but I much prefer the hotels that give you the option to have especially dirty ones replaced daily. And for the price I was paying, I really don't think its too much to ask for housekeeping to clean the bathroom during their two visits--extended stay hotel or not.
All in all a decent place to stay if you need to be near Dulles, but I think you could do better at any of the other hotels nearby. The only reason to stay here is if you need the kitchenette.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- TownePlace Suites Chantilly Dulles South is located just one mile from the Dulles Expo Center and ten minutes from Dulles International Airport IAD. Enjoy daily complimentary continental breakfast, spacious guest suites with fully-equipped kitchens and newly added furniture and accessories, luxurious Marriott bedding and complimentary internet access. Stay fit while staying in our Chantilly Suites hotel with a 24-hour fitness center featuring new equipment, outdoor seasonal swimming pool and jogging trail. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your TownePlace Suites Chantilly Dulles South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Towneplace Suites Chantilly Hotel Chantilly
- Chantilly Towneplace Suites