“Well placed for Dulles airport and the Udvar-Hazy air&Space Museum”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport Chantilly
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Chantilly
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Well placed for Dulles airport and the Udvar-Hazy air&Space Museum”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Our second Fairfield Suites residence on this vacation.

Even better than the (already-good) Fairfield which is at the northern end of the airfield, this Fairfield suite (a franchise for family-run hotels which Marriott runs in the USA) is ideally positioned as a base for Dulles, Washington (take the 5A service bus for just six dollars all the way from Dulles "curb/kerb 2E" all the way into Washington DC - and six dollars back) and, especially, the impressive Udvar-Hazy Air& Space Museum at the southern end of the airfield.

Hotel shuttle runs every half-hour into IAD (Dulles) and is badged as "Fairfield Chantilly". Quiet rooms, good breakfast included (the breakfast area is adjacent to the Internet/Business counter).

Within three hundred yards, you have three eating establishments: Bob Evans which resembles an American version of the UK's Little Chef; Santini's New York Diner (self-explanatory!) and the Longhorn Steakhouse - which is where we spent two very enjoyable evenings at reasonable cost.

And, despite several nights and a hurricane, we did NOT consider that the occasional aircraft flying overhead was too intrusive.

We'll be back! Thank you Guillaume and your team for an enjoyable, restful final phase of our holiday.

Room Tip: Book early for the best price - we found this a month ahead via Marriott.com
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
harrisonburg
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The hotel itself is fine. Typical business hotel. I stayed there before a flight to Dulles that was early in the morning.

I called the hotel prior to arrival and was told that I could leave my car there no charge after my stay. When I checked in I asked if I needed a decal and was told no. The next am I asked about the
parking and was told that since I

booked on priceline it was not free

but $25. The free parking was only
if booked on their website. I
wanted to know if I booked on expedia if I got to use the showers or if that was not allowed?

I have looked all over priceline and see no mention of this.

• Stayed August 2011
VA
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Who knew that a weekend wedding with friends in my very own hometown would get 2 thumbs up!!Loved this hotel-It was just crammed full of goodies;The cookies proudly displayed at the checkout counter 4 us hungry road rage frazzled guests!LOL Northern VA joke...-Loved my room and the color scheme was bright cheerful colors-nicely lit halls. and the best part was I got a call from the front desk asking if my room was ok:)Ample free parking and the free breakfast was great I just wish the serving area was a little bigger. .My room didnt have a microwave and fridge but it was just me- the ac unit was a little loud-the one room I instantly check out when traveling is the bathroom then the bed-The bathroom was very clean-my bedding fluffy:)Will definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: rooms on first floor are not noise proof from outside guests on sidewalk and in parking lot
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Yes, of course, I realize that the name of this hotel includes the words "Dulles Airport". However, as we've stayed in hotels right near airports before, and NONE of the previous reviews on TA mentioned this, we were rather surprised to discover after we checked into our room that the jets land and take off directly over the hotel! If you've never been this close to a jet in flight, let me assure you: IT IS VERY VERY LOUD. As in, VERY.

I accompanied my husband on a business trip to Herndon last night. He originally only needed to stay one night, and he'd booked a room at the Springhill Suites, another Marriott property, in Ashburn. Then his trip was extended another day and Springhill didn't have a room for tonight, so we had to scramble to find another hotel. Based on reviews here, the need for breakfast at the hotel, and the price, we chose the Fairfield Inn. We were in a hurry and were both researching options that were less than $160 a night and we didn't realize the hotel was in the flight path, vs. just being close to the airport.

So, future travelers, take note: the planes fly until sometime after 10 pm and start flying again as early as 5:30 am (I heard the first plane at 6:00 am today). If you need 8 hours of sleep, you won't get it here unless you are an extremely heavy sleeper. I didn't sleep at ALL because the coffee labeled decaf in the hotel lobby was actually not decaf (NOT cool!), and I was awake for the first plane. By the third take-off, so was my husband (who easily sleeps ON planes).

If that's a deal-breaker for you, read no further and look elsewhere (and be sure to plot available hotels on a map!). If you don't mind the planes, read on for the rest of my review. It was a deal-breaker for us and we checked out this morning after finding another hotel. Not willing to be woken up hours before we need to!

The Fairfield Inn is generally a nice hotel, with some flaws.

Pros: Good-sized room. King bed very comfy. Excellent water pressure in the shower. Sink outside of the shower/toilet area so two people can get ready at the same time. Free Internet that worked very well. Hot tub in pool area (another big reason we chose this hotel, since I tend to be sore after a long drive); however, it closed at 8 last night and we arrived at 9, so we never used it. :-(

Cons: Our original room did not have foam pillows as requested, and the carpet was damp and smelling strongly of baby powder, from a recent shampoo. Had to switch rooms. Cheap plastic toilet seats in both rooms that shifted unexpectedly! Not pleasant! Very rough, thin bath towels that aren't much bigger than the floor mat (a person of size would not be able to fully cover him- or herself). Air conditioner was noisy when it kicked on. Heard the elephant above us stomping around at night and early this morning after the planes woke him up too.

The "hot breakfast" is almost entirely carbs and sugar: bagels, muffins, danishes, cereals, Belgian waffles, plus yogurt, microwaveable quiche (my husband didn't care for it much), oatmeal, fruit and hard-boiled eggs. It's not much more than a continental breakfast and not only was a letdown, as I am hypoglycemic and could eat almost nothing they had, but what I did eat greatly upset my stomach. We always make a point of staying in hotels that offer full breakfasts and have come to prefer the Hampton Inn and Country Inn and Suites...great breakfasts and rooms.

Also, the elevator made screeching and groaning noises; I felt very sorry for anyone staying in the rooms directly across from it. Our first room did not have a mini fridge, but the second room did. However, it was placed against the wall right at the foot of the bed, so if my husband had gotten up in the dark he would have run into it. We moved the desk more toward the corner and put the fridge between the desk and TV.

To be honest, I don't understand why people rave about this hotel, and why the previous reviewers didn't feel it was necessary to warn others that it is directly in the flight path for take-offs and landings (this is very different from just being near an airport). It was a very unsatisfying experience. If it were outside the flight path, I would give it a 3, but I still wouldn't stay here again or recommend it. Stay at the Springhill Suites instead! My husband loved it there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We earlier stayed at this hotel in 2007 and again this time. I like the price, the breakfast and the location. We were visiting DC both the times and we felt this was the best value around. The rooms are tastefully decorated. The breakfast has both hot and cold options. The staff are friendly and accommodative.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 4, 2011

I am a loyal Marriott customer, and I will usually go out of my way to find a Marriott property. Fairfield Inns are not normally my preference, and I have stayed at some which have cause me to question my loyalty. This is not one of those occasions. This was my first stay at this property, right next to Dulles Airport, and it was easily the nicest Fairfield I've stayed in ever. The room was good sized, large enough to actually require two TV's (which it had), with plenty of room for a king bed, desk, sofa, side chair, etc.

Still had the lame breakfast service typical of a Fairfield, but the area was clean and the OJ was good. And there was a Bob Evans within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
S Wales
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Stayed one night here (<12 hours) as I had a meeting locally the next day. Booked off the Marriott website at $129 + taxes.

It's a standard Fairfield located in an area with lots of food outlets (only one really in walking distance).

The free wifi worked well. Didn't use any other facilities other than the free breakfast which is the standard bagels and stuff.

For a one night stop over prior to a meeting it was a good value option.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business