“Okay South American food”
Review of Don Churro Cafe

Don Churro Cafe
Ranked #24 of 156 Restaurants in Chantilly
Cuisines: South American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Route 50
Description: Don Churro Cafe is a hidden gem located in Chantilly, Virginia specializing in authentic dishes from Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela, Chile, Argentina, Colombia, and Spain. Named one of the region's Best New Restaurants by Northern Virginia Magazine, Don Churro Cafe presents delicacies from the expansive dinner menu, such as ceviche peruano, empanadas and saltenas, gambas al ajillo, Ecuadorian llapingachos, bandeja paisa, and Venezuelan arepas. Homemade churros piped full of manjar blanco (caramel) or delicious Nutella are sprinkled with powdered sugar for good measure. To ensure the quality of our food, all dishes are cooked to order using the freshest ingredients. The chef uses canola or olive oil in all of our dishes, organic coffee in our specialty coffees and recycles all its cooking oil. Visit our menu and events at www.gotchurros.com or at our Facebook page and "Discover the most authentic delicacies of the Latin world without ever leaving your neighborhood."
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is my second visit and I haven't learned that I should just avoid eating chicken here. Today, I had the tacu tacu with pollo saltado, and the chicken was kind of dry and bland. It did taste better when I poured on some of the green sauce (I forget the name). The empanadas were good(I ordered one beef And one chicken). The straps were ok--I am used to the Colombian version which isn't as dry. My husband had the skirt steak again which was really good.

I wish the kids meals were actual south American fare and not Mac and cheese or chicken. My kids actually like the food here and obeying bring them to restaurants up eat what they can get a McDondlds or KFC!

I will come back but I am not ordering chicken entrees anymore.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had never before had South American cuisine, so I cannot rate this place compared to anything similar, but I can only say I did enjoy the food and my experience there. The staff was very nice and patient explaining what the various dishes were. I went in a group of four and everyone liked their dishes and our appetiser. I recommend asking for the 'red sauce' if you like spicy food.

Only negatives were that they had run out of one of the main sauces so two people in our party had to re-order (the staff did apologise and it was not a big problem) and some of the dishes might be a few dollars too pricy for what they are. All in all, though, I recommend this place.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Maybe I just don't like Peruvian food, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.... I think it is more like I don't like Peruvian food prepared by this restaurant. The only nice thing about this place was the owner was super friendly and charming, the servers.. not so much.

I hope this place doesn't stay around too long, it is good real estate space for a decent restaurant. What we need is some good Mexican around here, and Anitas around the corner isn't cutting it!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Fantastic carne asada which came with tostones which were also god. The arepas and empanada were excellent. The service and the staff were very helpful. The coffee could have a Latino touch. But fresh juices was fantastic. Looking forward to coming here again for dinner and drinks, the mohito looks inviting.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I recently had lunch at Don Churro, a South American and Spanish restaurant in Chantilly. We decided to split a variety of their tapas accompanied by their Sangria. We had the Chilena empanada which was filled with ground beef, olives, raisins, onions and eggs, the De Queso empanada, filled with queso fresco, the Arepas con carne mechada made with pulled beef, and the Causa de pollo, made of layers of mashed potatoes mixed with aji amarillo chicken, mayonnaise and avocado. All were good, but we especially liked the Chilena and De Queso empanadas. The Sangria was fruity and spicy. Service was excellent and friendly. Prices are reasonable. All in all a good experience.

1  Thank pletzkeb