“Good Food....Bad Dessert” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Don Churro Cafe

Don Churro Cafe
Ranked #17 of 142 Restaurants in Chantilly
Cuisines: Peruvian, Latin, Spanish, South American, Colombian, Central American, Argentinean, Venezuelan, Ecuadorean
Good for: Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Route 50
Description: Don Churro Cafe is a hidden gem located in Chantilly, Virginia specializing in authentic dishes from Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela, Chile, Argentina, Colombia, and Spain. Named one of the region's Best New Restaurants by Northern Virginia Magazine, Don Churro Cafe presents delicacies from the expansive dinner menu, such as ceviche peruano, empanadas and saltenas, gambas al ajillo, Ecuadorian llapingachos, bandeja paisa, and Venezuelan arepas. Homemade churros piped full of manjar blanco (caramel) or delicious Nutella are sprinkled with powdered sugar for good measure. To ensure the quality of our food, all dishes are cooked to order using the freshest ingredients. The chef uses canola or olive oil in all of our dishes, organic coffee in our specialty coffees and recycles all its cooking oil. Visit our menu and events at www.gotchurros.com or at our Facebook page and "Discover the most authentic delicacies of the Latin world without ever leaving your neighborhood."
Washington DC
“Good Food....Bad Dessert”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This little restaurant seemed like a hole in the wall, but we were pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere and menu options (from many different South American Countries!). The tapas menu options were a little pricey, but my husband and I got the pulled beef on corn cakes, a baked potato stuffed with beef, egg, and cheese, and garlic shrimp. All three of these things were delicious! For dessert, we got the traditional churros with nutella and this flat cookie with a caramel cream in the middle. The cookie was very dry and bland. The churros were barely sugared and very doughy. Overall the meal was about $40 for 2 including tax and tip. The food itself was good, but expensive not filling and the desserts were disappointing, so I don't think we'll be going back. If you do go, skip dessert.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

“Authentic Peruvian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Fantastic food in a small strip mall restaurant. Food portions and price was just right. Meal was delicious. I got a Living Social coupon to use and am so glade to have been introduced to this place. They don't do lunch menu on the weekends, so order from the main menu; was a little confusing in the beginning.

Herndon, Virginia
“Pleasantly surprised by Don Churro Cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

My wife had been to Don Churro once for lunch with a friend, and said it was worth returning with the whole family. I had checked other reviews online beforehand, finding a wide range of opinions. Given the strip-mall location, I somehow was not expecting such a popular place, but they were hopping tonight. (A soon-to-expire Groupon might be part of the reason, but the full house appeared to include a lot of folks who simply had already discovered this out-of-the-way South American restaurant.) Several of the reviews I had read (elsewhere) from a couple of years back mentioned slow service, which did NOT prove to be accurate tonight. We were seated promptly and courteously. Then our very attentive waiter took our order quickly, gave good recommendations, and brought the food with no significant delay (then checked back three times to make sure everything was okay). All four of us enjoyed our food. My Lomo Saltado (Peruvian)-- marinated beef strips sauteed in onions and tomatoes, with fries and a mound of white rice-- was very flavorful and satisfying. Although there was nothing inherently special about the fries, they were a great complement to the beef, onions and tomatoes. I sampled the Arroz con Pollo (with plantains)-- excellent. My sons seemed to enjoy their Churrasco (steak with fried egg) and Pollo Saltado sandwich. Dessert did not come out as quickly as the main dishes (as things were getting more and more busy by then), and the desserts we ordered were just so-so (churros and ice cream).

The colorful and lively atmosphere of Don Churro was very warm and inviting. While not exactly gourmet cuisine, the food was just what we hoped for-- exceeded my expectations. Both the excellent food and the nice setting made me happy to discover this new local favorite. I expect to return soon.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank MJGfromVa
Rochester, New York
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We have been here several times over the past 3 months. We have loved it every time. They have something for everyone. On Saturday they even have live music in the evenings. I highly recommend anyone in the area wanting South American cuisine to visit.

• Visited September 2011