Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
and up
Private Customized Tour of Washington DC with US Veteran
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Chantilly
Reviewed May 29, 2014

You have to understand that the Udvar Hazy is about aeroplanes, rockets and serious flying stuff. If you're a pilot, an air historian, an engineer or a theoretical aerodynamicist then there is much here for you. If you're a bored housewife who is turned on by the thrust of supersonic flight and Top Gun then there's fascination here for you too and if you're a child, well, welcome to your career path gateway. The displays are magnificent, the curatorship outstanding and the Discovery is more than a moment for reflection and respect, not just for the men who flew on it but for its creators too.
My thirty year old son and I were slightly disappointed at the iMax Cosmos film to which we went. There was too much gas about people, some astronomer or other who played the piano, as if Gustav Holst cared a bent Milky Way! There was not nearly enough interstellar/intergalactic photography. You might want to check something though in this context. I think the Planetarium is closed for long term work.
Facilities are as you would expect and the car park is huge. We had a rental car and drove from Philadelphia swinging across down to the UH for the visit before driving back into town to our hotel. That was easy enough and I believe we could have caught a free shuttle from Dulles.
It's quite a different museum from the Air and Space in town and if you're interested in flight it might be worth researching where you want to visit. Udvar Hazy is not to be drifted through quickly and speaking personally, it has much more to offer than its more proletarian cousin in town.
You could easily visit it on a long transit through IAD too.

2  Thank Poisonwells
Write a ReviewReviews (3,830)
All reviews
in 110 reviews
"flying machines"
in 56 reviews

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Our whole family enjoyed this museum. Lots of important aircraft items. Bigger and better than the one on the mall. Admission is free but pay for parking.

1  Thank mawa6
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I love this Smithsonian Museum. The good news is that it is relatively close to home and has a great theater. I have been there to some wonderful Smithsonian Associates events as well. The flight simulator is a blast.

1  Thank SuzPez
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Better than the Air and Space Museum in D.C. This place is huge. So much history and so well presented. We spent hours here and could have stayed longer but ran out of time. Our only disappointment was that the only food choice was a McDonalds on the premises. What a bummer. Great planes, great history, crappy fast food. Still worth the visit. Just pack a lunch and go outside and eat.

1  Thank WillingSpouse
See more reviews
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This museum is my husband's favorite and he has wanted to escort me there for a long time. We finally had the opportunity over the Memorial Day weekend. The exhibits have changed as more renovations are made and there were some surprises in store for him after having visited at least 6 times in the past. I was not knowledgable about most of the exhibits, although some were familiar and his personal "guided tour" made me realize I knew more than I first thought. Some highlights for me were: SR-71 Blackbird, Concorde, Space Shuttle Discovery(!), Hornet Bus 3 Airstream (where the Apollo 11 astronauts stayed after returning from the Moon), Enola Gay, remnants from the Hindenburg. It is part of the Smithsonian Institution and has free admittance. I will also say the museum was immaculate.

1  Thank Susan L

Travelers who viewed Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center also viewed

Been to Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center? Share your experiences!