Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very Cool Exhibits!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This museum is my husband's favorite and he has wanted to escort me there for a long time. We finally had the opportunity over the Memorial Day weekend. The exhibits have changed as more renovations are made and there were some surprises in store for him after having visited at least 6 times in the past. I was not knowledgable about most of the exhibits, although some were familiar and his personal "guided tour" made me realize I knew more than I first thought. Some highlights for me were: SR-71 Blackbird, Concorde, Space Shuttle Discovery(!), Hornet Bus 3 Airstream (where the Apollo 11 astronauts stayed after returning from the Moon), Enola Gay, remnants from the Hindenburg. It is part of the Smithsonian Institution and has free admittance. I will also say the museum was immaculate.

1 Thank Susan L

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Excellent history of flight with a few rides”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The main exhibit hall has an impressive 3-4 levels of planes from hanging models such as the one flown by the first woman to solo around the globe (Jerry Mock) to the latest miliary planes and the Concorde. There is a separate room for the Space Shuttle Discovery and missles. For kids and people young at heart, you can be a pilot or a gunner in a simulator that performs 360 degree rolls, or you can ride one of the less-interactive simulators. There is one ride particularly for smaller kids. We went on a Sunday afternoon and paid $15 to park and $8 for the simulator, but everything else was free. We spent 3 hours there, not including an Imax movie that we wished we had taken the time to see for $5. The gift shop is excellent, and there is a McDonald's on site.

San Diego, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Discover Discovery”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've visited DC 6 times in the past 6 years so I've been to almost all of the museums and monuments. This year, with just a couple of hours of free time I decided to venture a bit away from town to visit the Space Shuttle Discovery and see what other treasures I could find.

I was THRILLED with the results. This museum puts the National Air and Space Museum to shame. Obviously the location prohibits the same type of access and you do have to pay $15 to park, but I found that the out of the way nature of the museum also means there are less crowds and since the museum is so huge (REALLY HUGE) you do not feel crowded, rushed and claustrophobic.

The highlights and center piece of the museum really is the SR-71 and Discovery. I was giddy with excitement to see what is probably the most impressive airplane ever invented (SR-71) and then I was flabbergasted by the size of the Space Shuttle. It absolutely exceeded my expectations in every way.

Other neat artifacts include a Concord and the Enola Gay.

I didn't have time to watch the movies or do anything like that, I was in an out in 90 minutes but I will probably return for the other features during next year's trip. I'm also inspired to see the other two Space Shuttle exhibits.

1 Thank danielbalc
Richmond, Virginia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Smithsonian Air and Space Dulles”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

An amazing collection that augments the one on the Washington Mall. I flew the Lockheed Connie that is housed there, and it brought back many fond memories of places in the world it transported me to.

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“The Place to be if you like Airplanes”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

even if you have couple of hours before your trip out of Dulles Airport , I recommend visiting the Air and space museum for a quick tour. it is a great place with allot of cool information and airplanes on display that will keep you entertained all day long.

Visited June 2013

Travelers who viewed Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center also viewed

Been to Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center? Share your experiences!