Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Discover Discovery”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've visited DC 6 times in the past 6 years so I've been to almost all of the museums and monuments. This year, with just a couple of hours of free time I decided to venture a bit away from town to visit the Space Shuttle Discovery and see what other treasures I could find.

I was THRILLED with the results. This museum puts the National Air and Space Museum to shame. Obviously the location prohibits the same type of access and you do have to pay $15 to park, but I found that the out of the way nature of the museum also means there are less crowds and since the museum is so huge (REALLY HUGE) you do not feel crowded, rushed and claustrophobic.

The highlights and center piece of the museum really is the SR-71 and Discovery. I was giddy with excitement to see what is probably the most impressive airplane ever invented (SR-71) and then I was flabbergasted by the size of the Space Shuttle. It absolutely exceeded my expectations in every way.

Other neat artifacts include a Concord and the Enola Gay.

I didn't have time to watch the movies or do anything like that, I was in an out in 90 minutes but I will probably return for the other features during next year's trip. I'm also inspired to see the other two Space Shuttle exhibits.

1 Thank danielbalc

• Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Smithsonian Air and Space Dulles”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

An amazing collection that augments the one on the Washington Mall. I flew the Lockheed Connie that is housed there, and it brought back many fond memories of places in the world it transported me to.

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“The Place to be if you like Airplanes”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

even if you have couple of hours before your trip out of Dulles Airport , I recommend visiting the Air and space museum for a quick tour. it is a great place with allot of cool information and airplanes on display that will keep you entertained all day long.

Visited June 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Pay for parking- well worth it”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The museum is free, but parking is $17. The money is well worth it. This place is huge! Plan on spending a few hours. Great for kids of all sizes. We had a stroller and it was not an issue. The only food inside is a McDonald's though, so maybe pack a picnic in your car.

Visited February 2014
Oregon
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Better than DC”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is sister museum to one on mall in DC and it is so much better. More planes, more room, more to see and less crowded. And a Space Shuttle! Close to airport. Plan plenty of time - we made two visits.

1 Thank Terri T

Travelers who viewed Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center also viewed

Been to Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center? Share your experiences!