“Fascinating... even for an aviation non-entusiast like me”

Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Chantilly
New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Fascinating... even for an aviation non-entusiast like me”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My boyfriend was the one who really wanted to go here and I obliged. It really was very interesting. The flight simulator rides are really fun and inexpensive. There are lots of cool exhibits, a great kid-friendly hands-on area and plenty to do. I love that a huge eatery is located on the property and only accesible through the museum. It took us about 3 hours to go through it all, minus the imax movies. We did do the Journey to the Stars planetarium show... I have to admit it was a bit boring and afterwards I wished we had paid for the less expensive Sesame Street version because it might have been more entertaining. The gift shop is great!

Visited May 2011

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ronneby, Sweden
489 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 372 helpful votes
“If the main museum is the first - this is "the last"”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Lacking a lot of "first-in-history- planes" (except the Enola Gay) this museum is truly amazing in its size and in its collection. This museum holds a lot of "the-last-remaining-on-of-its-kind-planes" as well as the really large ones that won't fit in the museum at the mall. This place also keeps a more "straight" line and doesn't feel as scattered as the main museum. The planes gets more space here so to speak.

A somewhat smaller gift shop would suggest to buy your souvenirs and gifts at the museum on the mall however. Easy access with a museum bus from Dulles airport for a very small sum of money 0.5$ (one way) May 2011.

Visited May 2011
Bath
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit to this carefully put together display of flying and space history.”
Reviewed May 13, 2011

We wanted to go last time but I am glad we left it until this visit because there is more there. It was rainy day and the baseball had been called off so it was a bit crowded but there was enough space in what is a superbly assembled display of aircraft, helicopters, and lots of other stuff from aviation history. Something for toddlers to grandparents.

My only criticism is that the only food outlet available was a McDonalds which was a bit limiting.

Chesterfield, Virginia
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 248 helpful votes
“Pretty cool coming from a person who isn't all that into planes and shuttles.”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We hit this as a side trip coming home from Baltimore. My husband and 6 year old son really liked it. My 4 year old daughter did too although she probably enjoyed running around more than anything. I am not someone who overly cares about a planes intricate details, but I have to say I am very glad we visited. I did not visit all of the "gear" sections- mainly we looked at the planes and missiles and shuttles and such. But I have an affinity for history so I was very impressed to see the Enola Gay and the Huey and Concorde, etc...

The hangar is so massive it actually has the ability to make the planes look small. Fascinating. But my husband could tell me which planes were replacing what and some details about some of them that was interesting (Tomcat replacement and such). We also went to the Observation Deck. We did not see a movie nor try a simulator. We were there almost 2 hours!

I would definitely recommend a visit.

2 Thank chamdex
Cedaredge, Colorado
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome!!!”
Reviewed April 16, 2011

This was one of the highlights of our trips. Less crowds, cool exhibits, kids had a blast. Would highly recommend.

Visited April 2011

Travelers who viewed Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center also viewed

Been to Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center? Share your experiences!