“Did not feel safe here...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Chantilly - Airport

Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Chantilly - Airport
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Chantilly
VA
“Did not feel safe here...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Ok, I'm from the city and used to being around a bit of 'riff-raff' every now and again. I got a deal on a room here and stayed for the evening. The room was dingy at best (sofa stains, semi-clean bathroom, etc), so I only walked around in my slippers. But that isn't my main complaint.

I suppose because this is extended stay they don't man the front desk around the clock, which allows for people to have extracurricular activities going on all hours of the night here, since no one's here from the hotel after a certain time. There were doors opening and shutting all hours of the night constantly, in and out of the rooms. It was so bad it woke me out of my sleep around 2:30 in the morning. I was up trying to figure out if some kind of sex operation or something was being conducted because of the constant activity level in the room(s).

Needless to say, I did not feel safe here. With no one here manning the front desk, it seems people just do as they please here after hours. I was tempted to pack up my things and leave- at 2:30am. Perhaps I just got a 'bad room' with some busy neighbors, however, I get the feeling this is business as usual and they were long-term guests for other purposes.

I definitely will never be returning here.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Misstonie
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Chantilly - Airport, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay Deluxe Washington, D.C. - Chantilly. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

It is my pleasure to provide an explanation regarding the issue you described. Every part of our hotel, from the in-room features, to the design of the guest room hallways is an integral part in creating a "home away from home" experience for our guests. Since we recognize that a quiet, relaxing environment is critical to this goal, we have several systems to ensure that noise from within or outside the hotel doesn't interfere with your stay. Although rare, there are instances where a guest may hear noises from the surrounding area. Whenever we are informed of such disturbances, our standard procedure is to promptly identify the source of that disturbance and resolve it. I take full responsibility that we were unable to resolve this situation to your satisfaction during your stay.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels brand location in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

First off let me start by saying everyone must see Washington D.C at least once in their lifetime. Staying directly in or very near to the Mall and downtown area can be very expensive. If you go a few miles ( 2 to 5) away you can reach some not so safe and clean areas and the pricing is not worthy of such deplorable conditions. My family and I chose to stay at an Extended Stay Deluxe in Chantilly which is a little over 20 miles away from D.C but well worth the drive to the sites of the city. It took only 30 minutes during traffic to reach the Washington Mall area. The hotel itself was wonderful, it had all the amenities of my home,refrigerator,dishwasher,stove, microwave,blowdryer,iron,ironing board, cable tv, $5 for unlimited usage of the wi-fi internet service for the entire stay of 5 days. We even had dishes,plates and silverware provided in the room. This was great as we were able to buy groceries and cook our own meals, we even BBQ with their grill out by the swimming pool. Across the street there is a wide array of fast food places as well, Mcdonald's,Wendy's, Arby's,Taco Bell, Chick-fil-a, and more. We had 2 suites for the price of one located closer to D.C.... and Chantilly was far nicer and safer than those. I plan on returning to D.C in 2013 and will definitely stay at this facility again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank dinondlbc
Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

The price is good, location good but it is marginal beyond that.
Problems: smell of smoke in non-smoking room, internet service intermittent, heater sounds like it will explode (have to turn off at night as it is too loud to sleep), phone not working some of the time, cleaning service inconsistent (half the time I have to ask for basics like washcloth, kleenex, TP; from day 1-no dishsoap), utensils old & bent, smoke detector hanging from ceiling, sheets need to be replaced as they are threadbare in places, can feel cold air blowing in windows, washers & dryers dirty-some not working.
Next time I'll opt to drive the extra distance to get a clean, quality place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

We booked this hotel as it was close to the Air & Space Museum and the price was relatively reasonable. Plus, we did not see too many negatives reported on Trip Advisor. However, we were very much disappointed with our stay. We rquested and were given a non-smoking room, but the room was definitely smoked in previously. Strong odor of smoke as time went on, especially when we were going to sleep at night. Not a very pleasant odor to be breathing. Plus, the hallways had a very odd mix of smells. The thermostat control in the room functioned, but it was very difficult to reach a comfortable temperature. It ended up either too hot or too cold. There was no nightlite or small light to leave on in or near the bathroom, which made it very difficult to find your way to the toilet in the dark if you needed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. The alarm clock did not work. Glad we had brought our own. The breakfast provided was really bare-bones minimal (although we didn't really expect to eat there anyway) - no cereal choices...just pre-packaged muffins and bagels and some fresh (although didn't look too fresh) fruit (apples and oranges) and coffee. The sign on the hotel outside door said it would be locked after 9:00 PM for security purposes - it never was.
So, sorry to say that we would never stay at one of these Extended Stay Deluxe's again. (And this being the "deluxe", we really did expect a bit more...)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marianne777
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

Barebones, but more than just a motel room--full size fridge, microwave, kitchen sink. Within walking distance of at least four restaurants and Costco and Target are just across the way. Room was clean, staff very pleasant. Amazingly, heard no airplanes. Very nicely landscaped, it's right next to a Marriott Residence Inn, but probably a lot more reasonable.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Chantilly,VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

Its a great hotel to stay in and one price get you in, you do not need to pay for power, water, good service, full kitchen because it all comes with it. When you compare to an apartment you are really better off here....trust me I searched for months. If you want to save hundreds of dollars then go with the best.......EXTENDED STAY.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

I was very pleased with this hotel. The room was large and clean, including the bathroom and kitchenette. The hotel was very quiet and the front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Easy access from Route 28 (between Dulles and I-66). Because it's an extended stay hotel, don't expect lots of staff roaming around or a fancy lobby, but if you are self-sufficient, who needs them? Breakfast is minimal, so you'll probably want to have a bigger breakfast at a local restaurant. Why stay in DC with sirens all night, high prices, and crime when you can stay out here?

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business