“Very good value and nice amenities”

Westfields Marriott Washington Dulles
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Chantilly
Stow
“Very good value and nice amenities”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We had a 4th floor room; it was clean and nicely appointed and appeared to have been renovated; the only oddities were the bathroom door very close to the edge of the toilet, and the noise of the A/C unit, which was above head but sounded like a wall unit would, making sleep a bit restless. I appreciated the addition of a magnifying mirror and bright lighting over a vanity adjacent to the bathroom -- essential for female travelers. The downstairs restaurant was quite active, with a packed bar area and many occupied tables; it was a lively and noisy atmosphere, in a fun way. Restaurant service was poor on night one and excellent on night two (I am assuming they were short-staffed the first evening). The lack of access to the metro was problematic as my husband was on business and had the rental car, requiring an extra hour each morning for him to drop me off at the metro (about 20 minutes away) before departing for meetings. I liked this hotel and would return, but without the addition of a shuttle to the metro on a regular schedule, we'd probably stay closer to "town" next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Sonar11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Maryland
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We attended a holiday party hosted in the Marriott's Palm Court dining room, and chose to spend the night at the hotel for convenience.

The property is nice enough for what it is - a conference faility with close proximity to Dulles airport. The lobby, halls, and public spaces are well maintained and have a luxury-lite feel to them. Rooms are a good size and moderately appointed, but the bathroom is on the smaller side. There is a second sink/mirror outside the bathroom, which helped when my husband and I were both trying to get ready for the party at the same time.

We lucked out with parking, and were able to get a space close to the main hotel entrance on a rare warm day. Otherwise, I can see where parking can be an issue here - most of the self parking is a haul, which in colder weather or precipitation (especially in December) would not be fun.

The biggest knock on the property would be that service was underwhelming. At check-in, we received a brusque, "Can I help you?" No smile, no welcome, nothing. After explaining we were checking in, the pattern of clipped responses continued. "Last name?" "Oh, you're an Elite member. Welcome back." "Here is your room key, elevators to the left."

Housekeepers were a bit more friendly when passed in the hallways, but again, service was underwhelming. We had brought some take-out with us to eat in our room prior to the party, and before heading downstairs, set the (tied-up) bag of empty containers in the hallway for pick up. The next morning, when we went to check out nearly 14 hours later, the bag was still in the hallway.

Overall, it's a nice enough place to stay, especially given its proximity to Dulles airport, and we'd stay here again if there were another event hosted at the property.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Millersville, Maryland
Reviewed December 19, 2013

My lady and I stayed at the Westfields Marriott on a recent Friday night because my employer had a Christmas party in the vicinity and it's a 60 mile drive from our house. When we arrived at the hotel I decided to take advantage of the valet parking. At $25 I thought the charge was a bit steep, but past experience at this property taught me that the self parking was a long walk for a chilly December evening. Check-in was quite speedy and the room was comfortable. I enjoyed a drink in the lounge during happy hour while my lady readied herself. A few minutes before 7pm we made our way to the lobby to depart for our party. Apparently there were one or more large holiday parties happening at the hotel this evening, and well dressed guests were streaming in. I gave my valet ticket to one of the parking guys and he disappeared. It was absolute pandemonium in front of the hotel with a big jam of cars coming in at the same time. Clearly there were way too few guys working to greet guests, park cars, and direct traffic. After waiting more than 15 minutes I noticed my car sitting in the furthest lane from the drop-off area. I walked over to it and found the doors locked. None of the parking guys were in sight. By this time we are running late and both of us are getting upset. It took several minutes to get one of the Marriott guys to find my keys. My lady had gone to the front desk to complain, but of course that didn't do any good at this point. By the time we got out of there we were about 25 minutes late.

The bottom line is this: If you're going to charge me top dollar for a service like valet parking you need to actually provide good service. The hotel knew well in advance it was going to be a busy night with holiday parties. Instead of having two or three guys at the valet they probably should have had seven or eight. This Marriott needs to step up their game.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joel H
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Nice stay with good service from staff (check in/out, catering, room cleaning). I felt very comfortable staying here.

Only issue was the location - the middle of no where. As a conference attendee, there were no walkable amenities. I also had minor issues with the cleaning crew loudly speaking Spanish every day in the hallway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 9, 2013

After six hours of flight delays on the tarmac and over 2 hours in line rebooking my international flight, my colleague and I came to this hotel for a rest. Scott at the Front Desk was fast and efficient and understood we were very tired - especially given it was 3:30 AM! The hotel is gorgeous! An impressive building with nice rooms that you expect for a Marriott.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MyasisDragon1
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed December 3, 2013

The grounds and entry are impressive but the hitel did not at all live up to the Marriott brand name. I am a platinum member and stay about 100 nights per year at Marriotts but was dissapointed at this location. Valet was not available at 8:30pm My parking spot was 1/4 mile from my car to my actual room at the end of the hall. The room had that someone just left moments earlier feeling and did not feel fresh and clean. Staff was not well informed and also not eager to "make a difference". The interior pics online are great but the story is different when you are there in person. The grand lobby area was a wreck with carts full of dishes and glassware all over. It looked like the day after a New Years eve party!

Room Tip: It is a long walk from the parking area to the rooms - I suggest a room on the first floor or very n...