“No Room at the Inn”

Westfields Marriott Washington Dulles
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Chantilly
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife has stayed here several times and we had made reservations at this hotel at least two weeks in advance. When we arrived around 9:00 PM Richard, the Parking Valet, greeted her like an old friend and chatted warmly with us for a few minutes.

We then went into the hotel to check in only to be told that the hotel was OVERBOOKED and they had held no room for us even though my wife is a GOLD Marriott member.

The people at the desk made some calls and after about 30 minutes they found a room for us at the a nearby Hyatt Place on Westone.

We then drove to the Hyatt Place and they were very gracious and glad to see us. It was a nice place to stay and had a very nice free breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SouthCarolinaPaul
Joanne C, Manager at Westfields Marriott Washington Dulles, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear SouthCarolinaPaul,

Thank you for your feedback.

We always want to try our best to host our Elites brilliantly and we are deeply sorry that your business trip did not go as planned for you and your wife. We sincerely hope you and your wife choose to come see us again at Westfields Marriott whether it is for business or pleasure in the near future.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I attended a three-day conference at the hotel. Once you arrive you won't want to leave--the traffic in the area will make you cry. The hotel is near Dulles in a lovely wooded area surrounded by office complexes. The room was quiet thanks to good soundproofing. The staff is friendly and helpful. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Despite the presence of two weddings and a conference, housekeeping refreshed the room before noon. No room safe. I ate at Wellington's twice: limited menu, dull tasting food (awful chips and yucky onion dip, yes you pay for them), and slow service. The conference food was good although the coffee was supposed to be Starbucks, but didn't taste like it. If you have a car, definitely scope out the roads in the area and how to get to nearby amenities and restaurants before you arrive. Don't rely on GPS alone before you arrive. For example, one road we used was called something entirely different on the GPS than what was on the actual road sign. Don't go anywhere during rush hours.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Barbara R
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My friend, a vegetarian, and I stayed at the hotel property for a wedding. The hotel really did not have any acceptable vegetarian options available on the menu except for french fries and tomatoes (which she is allergic too).

It was not so much the lack of options, as much as the constant "of course we can accommodate" attitude at the front desk that was consistently met with blank stares from the rest of the staff later. If you do not have options, then say so without constantly assuring your guests that you provide items you do not.

Second item - when dealing with a vegetarian "we have greens" and "I can make you a tomato and cheese sandwich" is not necessarily the best default answer, as there is not a whole lot of substance (e.g. vegetable-based proteins) in the meal. It would be best if the hotel offered a wider variety of meal options and the staff became more well-versed on vegetarian needs. Guests should not be made to feel singled-out due to their pursuit of healthy eating choices; nor should their travel-mates by default.

The billing error and lack of mini-fridge, so my friend could store her vegetarian-friendly take-out, also posed an issue. The mini-fridge was particularly annoying because it was apparently more important for other guests to store beer than it was for my friend to be able to store food she could actually eat that the hotel was incapable of providing (supposition based on the presence of alcohol entering facilities and room parties by guests from the other two weddings and one conference on site).

Now, if you are a carnivore - the hotel is lovely. Good, clean facilities and great spa and exercise area. Just make sure that you, or anyone else in your party, do not have any dietary restrictions or you will encounter frustration. Also, there is a great vegetarian option but you have to be willing to drive 20 min to reach it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aliki_210
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I've been there for a meeting, nice rooms, service, the breakfast and lunch were included and very good.
Evething worked just fine.
Second meeting, second good experience.
They could manage very well the many events that were going on at the same time. Good.

Room Tip: No tips, good hotel. It's located in a very nice and quiet neighborhood.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Joanne C, Manager at Westfields Marriott Washington Dulles, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Hi Bebeth! Thanks so much for your kind review. We can't wait to welcome you back again, for business or for pleasure!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed here as my son and bride to be made arrangements for a rate and a block of room. A great choice on their part. This is a beautiful facility with a staff that goes beyond just doing their jobs. All from registration desk to bellhops, wait staff, and other do their best to make your stay a pleasant one. The wedding reception they hosted for the bride and groom went off without any problems. The breakfast buffet is pricey but well worth it. If you are a runner consider this as runner friendly since it is in a business park with paved sidewalks and trails. On checking out no resistance was encountered when I asked if 3 room could be blended into my account and charge card. All was accomplished to my delight without any hassles or rolling eyes. If ever in that area again and in need of lodging I will consider this place first. The gym or health facility is also very clean and well maintained and if you wish to use the shower area there rather than your room you also will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RiverWalkDude

Hi RiverWalkDude,

Thanks so much for your kind review. We work hard to make sure each wedding guest feels welcomed when they arrive and rested when they leave!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights this weekend for a conference and were pleased overall with the experience. This hotel very obviously caters to conferences, weddings and other large events, as shown by the massive conference rooms and lobbies.

Check-in/Staff: Check-in was quick and easy, and they allowed us to check in early at 3:00. All the staff were extremely professional and helpful, despite telling us the incorrect times for the breakfast buffet, leading to having a lunch buffet at 10:45. No harm done and they counted our lunch as our breakfast and comped it with our gold membership. Even cleaning staff always greeted us, as well as the staff at the entrance.

Breakfast: Buffet is $18.95 without a gold membership, but is well worth the money - very wide selection of excellent food, from bacon and sausage, fruit, oatmeal/cereal, to breakfast burritos and French toast. Everything was excellent.

Room: Clean,standard Marriott room, and ours had a fridge. The hotel does not provide fridges for all guests, and are usually given only on request and if they're available, so I assume that our gold membership gave us an extra perk. Just something to consider. There is an extra dressing mirror outside the bathroom so that two people can get ready, which is a nice perk. Bathrobes are comfy - not sublime, but a nice touch none the less. The wifi has a daily charge of $12.95, which I thought was a ludicrous charge for a top hotel in the year 2013, where wifi is standard at nearly very hotel in America. Gold members have it complementary, but I think it's an unnecessary charge for guests.

Grounds/Parking: Hotel is extremely beautiful and the setting is isolated on beautiful, well-kept grounds with lovely walking paths. Parking is a bit of a walk, and if there is a conference happening, the back-up lots are even further. There is an option to park valet for $25/day but I'm frugal and I like to walk.

Overall it was a good stay, and considering that we got a reduced rate for the conference. I don't think I would be pleased at having to pay the wifi charge, but it's a small factor. We didn't have time to make it to the pools or fitness room, so I can't comment on those. Would gladly stay here again for the next conference.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I attended a conference here over the weekend. The hotel is very large and has one of the largest lobbies I have seen. Coming up to the hotel was pretty amazing, the front view and well maintained grounds were pretty amazing. The restaurant was very expensive but I didn't except it to be cheap after seeing the hotel. This is also where the Bilderberg group meets on occasion, so I knew it would be very nice if the worlds wealthiest men stay here. The hotel has numerous meeting rooms and an amazing patio. I would recommend have any conference or group event at this hotel. All staff were very courteous. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo