“Fine for business travel, but nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Courtyard Dulles Airport Chantilly
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Chantilly
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta
“Fine for business travel, but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed one night for business.

Pros: Very close to the airport. They also had a free shuttle (goes every half hour) to take me to my client which was just down the street from the hotel.

Cons: Poor signage. I had a driver pick me up at the airport and drive me to the hotel and he had a tough time locating the actual hotel. There is a large sign off the main street, but when you turn onto the street, there are a number of hotels and this one had no signage on the actual building. The rooms were fine for one night. Walls were thin, so I'm glad my neighbors kept it relatively quiet. You could tell this is a very old hotel that was renovated, but it still has that musty smell you get with older hotels that are cosmetically renovated and not completely gutted. Wifi was spotty, which made it somewhat hard to work.

Food: They had a bistro inside the hotel and the breakfast was good and they served Starbucks coffee. For dinner, the front desk gave me a two page list of nearby restaurants, but when you just got off a plane and its late you just want something quick and close. I walked over to Longhorns across the street, which was my only real option without getting in a cab.

Overall: This is a fine hotel for a night of business travel, but I think next time I'm in town I will check out one of the other hotels on the same street.

Room Tip: I stayed in Rm 107, it faces the main street. I didn't hear any road noise, but unless you draw...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GeorgiaTech_Traveler
IADCA C, General Manager at Courtyard Dulles Airport Chantilly, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Georgia Tech Traveler,

Thank you for having chosen our hotel for your travel needs. It seems your stay was both a hit and a miss in some ways and being the new GM my goal is to turn those misses into hits.

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about signage from the road but we do have a pretty sizable sign on Rt 50 and also on the building. While I am glad you enjoyed your meal across the street I can assure you that our Bistro would have been equally as satisfying had you decided to stay with us and eat.

Our hotel has been recently renovated and does regularly score extremely well with customers in our cleanliness as we take greta pride in being a Marriott hotel and showing our "Spirit to Serve."

I do hope that you will give us another opportunity if you are travelling in the area again. We can easily assign you a room with a Courtyard view and you can rest easy on one of our brand new mattresses that were recently installed.

Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to a return visit so that we can turn our previous misses to HITS!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I initially booked a double room with a roll-away bed for a party of three, only to be told upon arrival that it would be impossible to add a roll-away to the room and we should never have been given that reservation. Fortunately, front desk was extremely accommodating and managed to get us a good rate on two lovely adjoining rooms. The rooms were quite nice and we were very pleased....until we were awakened at 2 AM by a staff person who UNLOCKED AND OPENED one of the room doors when they dropped off the bill and (as we discovered the next morning) then re-keyed the room! Why this was done at 2 AM is inexplicable. Thankfully, we had the extra lock up on the door so it couldn't open completely but even so, this was a very disturbing experience. We of course reported this to management the next morning and received profuse apologies, promises that the situation would be looked into, and assurances that we'd receive complimentary points added to our Marriott points accounts for our trouble. Except here we are a month later, and we've gotten no extra points and no follow up explanation about the incident.

I'd not avoid this hotel because it is very convenient and well-maintained and the front desk clerks were extremely nice and accommodating. Still, it seems communication is lacking and based on our experience, I'd be very wary of security if I was a woman staying here alone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Pamelapancakes,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with our hotel. It is very unfortunate to hear that you experienced problems during your stay on two separate occasions. It is unacceptable for you to not get what you were originally expecting and then to be awakened in the middle of the night is equally acceptable.

My email address is cy.iadca.gm@marriott.com and I will gladly issue you the points you were promised back in November if you would send me your Marriott Rewards account number. I am the new GM at the hotel and would like to resolve this issue so that you and your family will feel comfortable coming to stay with us again in the future.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel and I look forward to hearing from you so that I can add the points to your account.
New York NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Very good location. Very convenient.

The building is an older build but it has been nicely renovated. It has the modern inviting Courtyard lobby. The rooms are very nice. The hotel is very quiet and very clean.

The internet worked when we arrived but it went down while we were out for the evening. The staff simply said they were working on it and didn't act like it was a very big deal. It is a huge inconvenience when the internet goes out unexpectedly when you're on the road and have work / further planning to do. We got by with our Blackberry and iPhone and with wifi at a nearby restaurant where we went for breakfast but it was still disappointing.

All in all the hotel is well-situated, the staff were helpful, the lobby is nice and inviting, the room was clean and updated despite the fact that it is an older Courtyard structure. Safe and secure. Quiet. The only complaint is the loss of internet and no great concern from the otherwise professional staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for your positive review of our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in spite of the internet problems you experienced. We have since made corrections to the network to avoid any futre problems.

I am the new GM here at the property and have taken steps to make sure that we continue to make improvements in the hotel.

I hope to have you and your family stay with us again in the near future.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel for your travel needs!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Location was great for the needs of my visit. Love the pillows on the bed, decor is attractive but was totally grossed out by the dirty tub and dislike the little coffee pot in the room. I seldom gig the Courtyard but housekeeping needs to step it up.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
IADCA C, General Manager at Courtyard Dulles Airport Chantilly, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Good Afternoon,

Thank you very much for having chosen our hotel for your travel needs. It seems that we failed to meet your cleanliness standards during your last stay/review. I can assure you that we have improved since your last visit.

I am the new General Manager here at the hotel and we have taken steps to remedy any issues that were not resolved to our guests' expectations.

I know that it has been several months but if there is anything I can do to repair our reputation please do not hesitate to contact me at cy.iadca.gm@marriott.com

Thank you again for staying with us!
Richmond Hill, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Excellent service, clean rooms, nice decor, a great place to stay at. Very convenient and close to airports and nearby attractions. There is a Starbucks bar in the lobby. There is a great choice of restaurants within minutes.The main road and highway are just minutes away.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
GMDullesCourt, General Manager at Courtyard Dulles Airport Chantilly, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Reuben David R,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your enjoyable stay with our hotel. We will hopefully see you again in the near future. We will do everything we can to make your next stay even better.
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We had a company meeting for 3 days at the Courtyard in Chantilly. It was very easy access to Dulles. The staff was outstanding. They bent over backwards to make sure everyone was happy with their rooms. We had a meeting room at the hotel also; they made sure we had everything necessary to make our time there successful. Lunch was catered by the hotel staff and was great every day. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Stephen R
Stephen R,

Thank you very much for your review of your stay with our hotel. Hopefully your company will return to stay with us again. I'm sure this trip will be just as enjoyable.
Lewisberry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We planned to go to an event in downtown DC and then catch a flight from Dulles the next day. The Courtyard worked out very well. Upon arrival, our reservations were correct but they offered us a choice of floor and type of room that would best suit us for no additional charge. The front desk people were outstanding. The room was a typical Courtyard room - modern and spotless. Checkout was a breeze. Even though the hotel is only a few minutes from Dulles, we had no problem with airport noise. The only downside is that it is a bit far from DC on a road with lots of traffic lights. However, that was only a minor inconvenience.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor near the back and did not hear any airport or road noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family